Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks. I'm a prospective Abarth 124 owner and have trouble locating an example to test drive within a reasonable radius of Northern Virginia. The closest samples (new or otherwise) with a stick are at least 2.5 hours away. I don't mind traveling to purchase, but that's a haul just to take one for a spin. Yesterday I test drove both an ND soft top and RF in Club and GT guises, respectively, and really enjoyed the chassis. Would any of you in the DC metro area with an Abarth manual be willing to meet up? I can come out to you. I promise not to beat on it, just want to experience the the engine and tranny.

Completely understand this is an unusual request from a complete stranger on the interwebs, but figured it's worth a shot. Otherwise, road trip it is.

Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Are you just looking to test drive or are you looking to test drive + purchase a member's car? I think just test drive so you know if it's even worth tracking down at a dealer?

If just test drive, and you promise not to murder me, I would be willing. I have a '17 Abarth 6MT with diverter valve + 2.5" straight piped exhaust. So it should be close to a stock Abarth but maybe a little peppier.

I'm sorta between Frederick and Baltimore, if that isn't too far.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Clutch_22. Appreciate the reply. I want to make sure the Abarth is for me before I pull the trigger (murder pun intended). Actually, driving one with the DV and aftermarket exhaust is perfect because those would be my first mods.

I'm in Reston so can definitely meet. We can PM if you're still offering.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi, Clutch_22. Appreciate the reply. I want to make sure the Abarth is for me before I pull the trigger (murder pun intended). Actually, driving one with the DV and aftermarket exhaust is perfect because those would be my first mods.

I'm in Reston so can definitely meet. We can PM if you're still offering.
I'll DM you now

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Are you just looking to test drive or are you looking to test drive + purchase a member's car? I think just test drive so you know if it's even worth tracking down at a dealer?

If just test drive, and you promise not to murder me, I would be willing. I have a '17 Abarth 6MT with diverter valve + 2.5" straight piped exhaust. So it should be close to a stock Abarth but maybe a little peppier.

I'm sorta between Frederick and Baltimore, if that isn't too far.
Hi..Just seen the thread and your reply, you know who I am from comments on each others threads......No offence or harm meant to any parties, but....Is it wise to meet up with, allow someone you don'y know from Adam access to / drive your Spider...,Insurance alone may not cover or only cover basic and what if the person is not genuine, again no offence meant. Surely the correct thing to do is for the prospective owner to seek out a dealership and test drive there, however...,if you want to show your kindness why not take a buddy to take the guys proof of ID, his car keys and follow you on that drive. And now I will butt out, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi..Just seen the thread and your reply, you know who I am from comments on each others threads......No offence or harm meant to any parties, but....Is it wise to meet up with, allow someone you don'y know from Adam access to / drive your Spider...,Insurance alone may not cover or only cover basic and what if the person is not genuine, again no offence meant. Surely the correct thing to do is for the prospective owner to seek out a dealership and test drive there, however...,if you want to show your kindness why not take a buddy to take the guys proof of ID, his car keys and follow you on that drive. And now I will butt out, Cheers
ron
It's a fair point. I would definitely bring a buddy and hopefully taking those precautions wouldn't be a problem with @Kain.

I sympathize with it being difficult to find one - I had to ship mine from Florida.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem at all. I acknowledged this is an unusual request and hope you and your friend reciprocate with the no-murder clause. Obviously I would expect if you rode shotgun, but you're welcome to follow in my GTI. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll bring the fava beans and a nice chianti.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Closest 6spd Manny Abarths I see to DC are in Williamstown, NJ, a 14K mi used car at Auto Lenders, and a new '19 at Southern Norfolk Dodge Chrysler in Norfolk, VA... you weren't kidding about there being none near to you...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try Safford Dodge in Springfield. That's where I bought mine. They always seem to have a decent inventory.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Safford only has one Abarth, and it's an automatic. Trust me, I scoped out every dealer within an hour of me. As mentioned, the closest 6MT Abarth is over two hours away.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Kain, have you thought about Craigslist? It's a little shystery, but see if you can find one in the classifieds you can test drive... Desperate times and all.

Barring that, what I would do is go drive the automatty Abarth at Safford to get the feel for the chassis, and then go drive either the black manny Classica at Manassas Subaru, or the White manny Classica at Pohanka Lexus to get the feel of the 6spd stick. It is not the perfect situation, but again, desperate times...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Barring that, what I would do is go drive the automatty Abarth at Safford to get the feel for the chassis, and then go drive either the black manny Classica at Manassas Subaru, or the White manny Classica at Pohanka Lexus to get the feel of the 6spd stick. It is not the perfect situation, but again, desperate times...
Awesome idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I wish I would have know you were looking to test drive. Just got back from Peru and flew into Dulles Sunday. I travel to Northern Virginia often to visit family so I'm willing to coordinate something with you, except for mine is no longer stock, but it is a 6-speed manual. I had to wait a year to get mine the way I wanted, so I know how you feel not being able to find a manual. In the states they are rare, but outside the US common everywhere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got mine at the Alfa/Maserati dealership in Tysons, I'm pretty sure it was the only MT Abarth in the DMV for sale at the time .
Right? When I began my search in earnest I was expecting to have an embarrassment of choices in this area; a car like this is right up the alley for the DMV with average salaries affording people the luxury of a two-seat roadster.
I wish I would have know you were looking to test drive. Just got back from Peru and flew into Dulles. I travel to Northern Virginia often to visit family so I'm willing to coordinate something with you, except for mine is no longer stock, but it is a 6-speed manual. I had to wait a year to get mine the way I wanted, so I know how you feel not being able to find a manual. In the states they are rare, but outside the US common everywhere.
Thanks. I'm going to take ApexOversteer's suggestion and see if that tickles my pickle first.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So it's done. Came home with a 2019 Abarth 6MT today, super happy with the car. It was a long 5-hour road trip back which highlighted the fact that it's not a distance cruiser, but now that it's home sleeping in the garage, it will only see commuting and local back road duty.

Let the modding begin!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
So it's done. Came home with a 2019 Abarth 6MT today, super happy with the car. It was a long 5-hour road trip back which highlighted the fact that it's not a distance cruiser, but now that it's home sleeping in the garage, it will only see commuting and local back road duty.

Let the modding begin!
You don't have to sleep in the garage you know....We all love our cars but be brave, go indoors, have a bite to eat and say hello to the family. I promise, "It will still be there in the morning, oh! and WELL DONE ! Cheers
ron

1 - 20 of 28 Posts