Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just fitted a reversing camera to my 2019 Abarth. While it takes some time, it is not expensive, and its a job thats worth considering doing at the same time as installing the carplay hardware.
I bought the cable from here for $12:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SINOSMART-c28-connector-for-mazda-2-reversing-camera/32736834411.html
Its really nice quality with exactly the correct connectors.
There are many options for reversing cameras. The bootlid helpfully has a hole that contains a plastic cover which pops out. I have not found a camera yet that perfectly fits in the gap but there are so many types available I am sure one must exist.
I have some pictures I will post later.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I think the Classica and Lusso is an option, maybe adding a rear view camera, it becomes an Abarth.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
aloha @Paul-home

maybe this will help you find what you are looking for? At least give you an idea what the factory was working with.

aloha mike

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi Everyone. Just to complete my explanation of how I retrofitted a reversing camera to my Abarth 124. I was stripping the dash down to install the hardware required for the Carplay mod (see elsewhere in this forum for details). Installing a reversing camera at the same time is a relatively simple job.
You need the following parts:
This cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SINOSMART-c28-connector-for-mazda-2-reversing-camera/32736834411.html currently $12.88 inc shipping worldwide
This camera: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rear-View-Reverse-Camera-For-Mazda-CX-3-CX-3-CX3-2018-2017-2015-2016-CCD/32862866456.html $10.88 inc shipping
This DC-DC converter: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2018-New-8W-USB-Input-DC-DC-5V-2V-6V-to-12V-Step-Up-Boost-Module/32890747900.html $1.75 inc shipping
This gives us a total cost of < $25.

The cable comes with connectors for the video feed from the camera mounted in the bootlid, as well as a connector that provides 6v to the camera. Somehow the cable is wired to notify the display to switch to the video feed when the car is put into reverse. So we dont need to worry about 'enabling' the reversing camera, the cable takes care of this.
We need the DC-DC converter because the camera requires 12v whereas the car feed supplies 6v.
The car comes with a hole in the bootlid where the camera fits. This hole is normally filled with a blanking plate that we can pop out. The camera shown fits perfectly in the hole. When popping out the blanking plate there is a sponge washer that we need to re-use when fitting the camera into the hole. This ensures a weatherproof seal.
We need to run cables for both the video signal and the power feed from the back of the audio unit to the bootlid where we will mount the camera. The camera comes with the necessary cable for both feeds.
Please see the attached pictures for details of how to install the camera and cable. Please note from the picture that while the field of view provided by the camera is not perfect, it is good enough!
As shown in the pictures, the DC-DC converter can be spliced into the power feed at the back of the camera.
I used a coat hanger to feed the cables into the rubber boot that carries the cables into the bootlid.
Please feel free to ask any questions about anything that is unclear.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The following video is an excellent demonstration of how to run the cable to the boot area. The video is for an MX5 which is different once we get to the boot so disregard the last section:

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
That's really weird, I could've sworn with the exception of a base infotainment Classica that all our cars had rear back up cameras? Was your Abarth in a wreck or something? I have a rear camera and I didn't pay anything for mine in my Abarth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think you can rely upon anything being calibrated. The Fiat camera is about $360 rather than $11

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Guys, i know this topic it's a bit old, but the topic is the same and to better group the arguments i will ask here.
(first of all sorry if i make some stupid error, grammatically speacking, i'm from italy)
I have a huge problem with the installation of the camera, i've bought a kit designated for 124 spider on aliexpress, and already dismantled the dashboard 3 times, so a bit upset :D
When i go back in reverse nothing happen, i've connected the white connector behind the screen and all the cable as per instruction:

ae_1594302766655.jpg Original to adaptor Adaptor in the screen full cable

But the camera once in reverse wont work, could someone advise if i made some error, or if the seller is right and the pin are not correct?
if i buy the cable that was shared some post above will work without any other modification?

Thanks in advance to everyone will reply

·
Registered
65 Posts
What cable did you buy from Aliexpress? Do you have the link?

I also bought a the cable from aliexpress and mine does not work either.

This is the cable I purchased (around a year ago).

·
Registered
5 Posts
What cable did you buy from Aliexpress? Do you have the link?

I also bought a the cable from aliexpress and mine does not work either.

This is the cable I purchased (around a year ago).
I bought this kit

In theory would be plug and play, but is not :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have constant power to your camera? Mine is powered all the time which I thought was a little strange.
At all! if i put reverse nothing happen! to be honest i just checked with the tester if cable was ok and not if when in reverse the camera was powered ( i was alone, so push the pedal and check the tester was bit difficult), in any case the camera do not give any signal to my screen..

The chinese seller sent me a tutorial, written by another user, but i can't understand very well:

" he camera connections are left as they are (separate phono & power connectors) but the long phono is changed to a 4pin plug to take video and power through the car; and the CMU loom is changed from phono & bare wires to a matching 4 pin connector. I also make a separate cable to run from the boot into the boot lid with phono & power one end and 4pin the other end. All those make it completely plug and play within the car - no other wires need to be disturbed"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts