Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

Since we don't (as of yet) have an official Ride Report forum on 124Spider.org (I'm tickling the ear of a mod about this now), I'll share a link to my personal, yet infrequently used, blog site where I published a detailed Ride Report story, with plenty of photos, for the 3-day drive I did earlier this week from Minneapolis to the Keweenaw Peninsula area at the very top of the Michigan U.P.

http://thruthiscameralens.blogspot.com/

Personally, I really enjoy reading other folks' ride reports. Evening cruises, day trips, weekend getaways, long excursions, heck, your trip around the race track. I find them entertaining and inspirational. They are popular to see and read at a few motorcycling boards I peruse. It would be great to see Ride Report stories from all of the 124 members. It will add some spice, some life, to the hard-data-driven conversations that abound here. Just let you thoughts and words flow in a few sentences or in many paragraphs, bring in some photos if you have them, and have fun telling the story. Write it like you are recalling it, and give it some heart and passion. Like you would if you were sitting across the table from a buddy, relating your tale. Truths, lies, campfire stories, happy, sad, exciting, mundane... I enjoy reading them all. It shows the real "why" we own these cars, after talking about all the upgrades and technical details.

Steve.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just got back from seeing the son and family and drove the Element. You sure know how to rub it in!;). Love the write ups!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got back from seeing the son and family and drove the Element. You sure know how to rub it in!;). Love the write ups!
Thanks! Telling the story afterward is an enjoyable part of finishing the trip itself. Sort of acts like a conclusion, in a way. And if it gives others ideas about having their own adventure, for either an hour or for several days, well, even better!

If you are like me, driving your Element (or my Kia Soul) gives a whole new level of appreciation once back behind the wheel of the Spider. Heck, late last evening, after dark, I took it for a quick spin around the local interstate loop just to feel the wind around me. Man, the more I drive this car, the more I enjoy driving it, and I just want to keep going.

Happy travels!
Steve.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Fantastic writeup.
Makes me long to get back up to that neck of the woods. Last I was up there was in March one year when the folks of the Keweenaw were still using the upper mailboxes that stick out of the snow drifts!

As we were driving back through a white-out, conditions kept getting better...speed up...get worse...slow down...get better.
Turns out we were following a snowplow on M26 and when he turned off, it was a beautiful clear sunny day.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fantastic writeup.

As we were driving back through a white-out, conditions kept getting better...speed up...get worse...slow down...get better.
Turns out we were following a snowplow on M26 and when he turned off, it was a beautiful clear sunny day.
Thanks Seamus! Yeah, that happened to me driving across Iowa many years ago. It was snowing/blowing like an SOB, but the worst periods of it were because of a plow in front of me. And it wasn't safe enough to pass his, either.

Your car will thank you for a trip up there. M26 and US41 way up at the far end of the peninsula... yep!

Steve.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks Seamus! Yeah, that happened to me driving across Iowa many years ago. It was snowing/blowing like an SOB, but the worst periods of it were because of a plow in front of me. And it wasn't safe enough to pass his, either.

Your car will thank you for a trip up there. M26 and US41 way up at the far end of the peninsula... yep!

Steve.
I have this trip coming up in a few weeks...https://goo.gl/maps/T1YBNwhRPHU2
Unfortunately, Copper Harbor adds about 4 hours to it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I've learned about a part of the world I was not familiar with, appreciate it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Gang,

Since we don't (as of yet) have an official Ride Report forum on 124Spider.org (I'm tickling the ear of a mod about this now), I'll share a link to my personal, yet infrequently used, blog site where I published a detailed Ride Report story, with plenty of photos, for the 3-day drive I did earlier this week from Minneapolis to the Keweenaw Peninsula area at the very top of the Michigan U.P.

http://thruthiscameralens.blogspot.com/

Steve.
Excellent report, and thanks for the link above. The pictures are outstanding. Isn't there a lake in that area called "Lake of the Clouds"? I recall going there many years ago when I lived in Wausau, Wisconsin.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The section you requested is in the works. Since this is a car and not a motorcycle though, is "ride report" accurate? Can you think of any other name that would be appropriate?
Thanks, guys. I really hope others share their stories as well.

XR- I was thinking the same thing about what to call such stories, but "ride report" just seems to roll off the tongue so nicely, for both motorcycles and for cars.

When we were kids, the folks would take us out for a Sunday afternoon ride in the ol' station wagon. People ask their dogs, in excited tones of voice, "Wanna go for a ride?"

Drive reports. Tales from the road. Stories from the road. Trip tales. Drive tales. Road stories. Spider stories (uhhhh... nah, still sounds like talk about the car, not the adventure).

I guess I've just associated the term "ride report" with telling the story of getting out into the world by some sort of transport (other than boat, train, or plane).

Ride reports. Road stories. Hmmm. Road stories? Road stories might work. Any other phrases that sound good, sound natural?

Ugh, too late to write one about today's driving adventure, maybe tomorrow evening if I can.

Steve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts