Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a white classica. I want to upgrade to 17 rims, decided 18 are to heavy. I'm torn between, bright silver, or a grey rim. Not a fan of black rims. Looking for opinions or pics from anyone that has considered the same, thanks.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I think the darker rims look better on a white car. Silver looks 'understated' but that might be the look you want. I had considered changing out the Abarth rims for a silver or even gold color, but started to really really like the gunmetal against the white.

What you could do, if you don't get some good pictures, is go to tire rack web page. You can select the rims to show on a white Car and get at least an idea.

Wait for a few people with 17s to change out their rims and tires, and you might be able to pick up a set cheap :)

·
Registered
958 Posts
I am picking up a white classica. I want to upgrade to 17 rims, decided 18 are to heavy. I'm torn between, bright silver, or a grey rim. Not a fan of black rims. Looking for opinions or pics from anyone that has considered the same, thanks.
I've been lookin at these for my car. They have a couple of advantages over stock. They move the tire outboard slightly for a wider stance (no issues with clearance.) and they are much lighter than the stock wheels for reduced unsprung weight. They also come in a dark finish. I think PureAdrenaline put these on his car. Which beggs the question, "Has he sold his stock Lusso wheels?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...sh=Hyper+Silver&showRear=no&packageFlow=false

·
Registered
727 Posts
Like you, I'm not a fan of black rims. However, I love the gunmetal grey color on my stock Abarth rims.

Some wheel/tire websites have virtual configuraters where you can visualize various wheels on a white car of your make & model. Not sure if the 124 is up yet in most store sites but the MX5 probably is. That might help you decide.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Like you, I'm not a fan of black rims. However, I love the gunmetal grey color on my stock Abarth rims.

Some wheel/tire websites have virtual configuraters where you can visualize various wheels on a white car of your make & model. Not sure if the 124 is up yet in most store sites but the MX5 probably is. That might help you decide.
TireRack does not yet have the Fiat picture on the configurator, but it has all the Fiat specifics on a Miata picture. You can select a white Miata and slap whatever wheels you are thinking of on it. With a white car you might want to look at some of the more colorful wheel options.http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...autoYear=2017&autoModClar=Lusso&package=false

·
Registered
56 Posts
Contrast is better if you ask me.

Reactions: MotoPete

·
Registered
615 Posts
I love the gunmetal grey color on my stock Abarth rims.
Same, and it ties in with our Launch Edition's colour highlights for the Costa Brava 1972 Red.

Pity is, it's difficult to find aftermarket rims here in a similar colour, which is compounded by the fact that I'd ideally like them to be Italian made... :|

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts

I prefer Grey to black too Jim. I'm a bit over the black rim look. But super dark & black coloured rims work better with light/bright colours IMHO.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,036 Posts
Here are some shots on the Miata version of the same car...in white.

Fitment details are precisely the same, as most of you already know, the 124 is built on same assembly line in Japan by Mazda and wheelbase and fender clearance is exactly the same as ND Miata (we have fit all our popular combos to both our ND and our Fiat 124 to check).

Charcoal 6UL 17x9 Miata Racing Wheels
Picture Courtesy Customer Matthew Jones

17x8 Silver 6UL Wheels on ND Miata

17x9 4x100 6UL - Beryllium
Pic Courtesy of Customer Frank Likert at Nationals

Tungsten 17x8 Miata Wheels on ND Miata.

Picture Courtesy of Customer Ray Christensen

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, they all look great. Surprisingly, I think I like the silver , then the tungsten second. What size tires are on the Miata ?.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,036 Posts
Miata and Fiat 124 use same sizes. For both we like 17x8 and 235/40 as the upgrade size for street use, which is what you see below in first pair of pictures below on our Red Fiat 124.

Tungsten 17x8 6UL Wheels which are Flow Formed for high strength with exceptionally low weight, just 14.8 pounds. I am been told stock Abarth wheel is 21 pounds, if so, then about a quarter of the 100 pound weight gain of the Fiat compared to assembly line brother Miata can be dropped in just the change of wheels. Could also use less tire on that 17x8, such as 215/45 or 205/45 but as you support the sidewall more the tradeoff to consider is that you get more performance from the tire with the downsides of stiffer ride and more curb rash risk. For those reasons and more, we like the 17x8 and 235/40 as a good compromise of all these interests.
Tires shown are 235/40 Toyo R1R, and our Progress Springs.

For Autocross/Track we like 17x9. That too can be used with 235/40 and for racing purposes we want that sidewall full supported with 9 inches of wheel and this still clears stock fenders for those not wishing to roll fenders. But most racers okay with rolling fenders to use 245/40...which is what you see below. The hottest street tires in that 245/40 size are the Rival S and RE71R and you can find these two hot choices fighting at Autocross events nationwide weekend after weekend.

Konig Hypergram 17x9 Bronze
(another flow formed choice for low weight compared to stock...yet higher strength.) 17 pounds

Bronze 17x9 6UL wheels....just 15.4 pounds, and our OHLINS Coilovers in the car for this pic.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think on my white car, the tungsten would look awesome. Not to light or dark. How much is delivery to Hamburg ny, 14075?

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,036 Posts
I think on my white car, the tungsten would look awesome. Not to light or dark. How much is delivery to Hamburg ny, 14075?
You did not say 17x8 or 17x9, we have both. Website will quote you shipping, just enter the size choice and state and zip at our site to get a ship quote.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This may be a stupid question, but what is the difference in the sizes? .i assume the 17 x 9 is wider, which would look better.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,036 Posts
Yep, that is inches...17x8 or 17x9 inches. Stock 17x7 inches....or 16x6.5 depending on model.

Again, strongly suggest 17x8 for street with 235/40 tire or less. Lots of folks want the 'RACE' look of running the 17x9 but that comes with downsides, rough ride because sidewalls for same 235/40 tire have much less flex (good for racing, not good for street ride). Curb rash risk also much higher. IMHO, no good reasons to run 9 inch wide unless racing the weekends at track or autocross.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts