Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 124 spider abarth white pearl
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI. I ran over road debris and here are pics and damage info. ...Just FYI. In California if you hit a stationary object, it is your fault. That is what the insurance hangs on to in order to make their decision that it was your fault. The comprehensive coverage kicks in so I am only out the deductible. But making my fault gives them the option to raise my premiums. Debris looked like wood dropped from a truck that was being broken up by vehicles running over it. Unfortunately, it wasn’t small enough when I hit them. And if you get a license plate # (which I couldn’t) you then are on your own going after getting the deductible amount back. Since it was “your fault” the insurance won’t pursue the license plate they are done and close up the claim. I am going to be avoiding freeways with trucks for a while.

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting
Car Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille

Estimate Date
Estimated Repair Time
Amount of EstimateSee note1
Your DeductibleSee note2
Your Net Claim
05/04/2022​
17 business days
$3,283.21​
$500.00​
$2,783.21​

Have details on estimate brake down if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not sure where they're getting 3k out of that but you can definitely do better. Parts from MoparOnlineParts, independent body shop. Fascia may need replaced - possibly could be repaired its hard to tell from the photos. Need one trim piece and the others look OK. Foglights and turn signals look useable.

If this is at a dealership you need to get your car out of there and take it somewhere more reasonable imho.

·
Registered
836 Posts
HOLY $H-T!
Feelin' your pain!
Repeat: "Never run over anything on the roadway, even if it looks like an empty paper bag."
Always allow yourself enough distance from the vehicle ahead of you so you can maneuver and/or brake accordingly and/or stop as the situation requires.
Pretty certain the diphead that drop the debris onto the roadway that hit never felt a thing.

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider
174 Posts
Had a suburban in front of me launch a truck tread that fortunately went under the Spider. Ripped the engine shield, driver fender liner and the drivers side lower door trim off. Fortunately my insurance rated it as no fault.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure where they're getting 3k out of that but you can definitely do better. Parts from MoparOnlineParts, independent body shop. Fascia may need replaced - possibly could be repaired its hard to tell from the photos. Need one trim piece and the others look OK. Foglights and turn signals look useable.

If this is at a dealership you need to get your car out of there and take it somewhere more reasonable imho.
since i was paying $500 deductible no matter what. ...Price was not an issue to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be modifying the fog lights and trunk light to strobe...etc (see elsewhere in forum). Am worried about someone rear ending me next.

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
511 Posts

Chances are they're replacing rather than repairing the bumper. Those Abarth bumpers are unobtanium currently. I've seen used ones going for $3k just for the bumper.

·
Registered
2017 124 Spider Classica
8 Posts
Road debris is a hazard and a challenge! Case in point: I'm driving along in my 4WD Tacoma, passing lane at 65+ MPH, a low slung VW GTI close behind me. I see something in the road ahead that turns out to be a 7' aluminum ladder that fell off a truck! I swerve and miss it, but the GTI behind me nailed it! I can't imagine the damage that resulted! You cannot always see what's up ahead of you or the vehicle in front of you that blocks your vision! Insurance companies???? Enough said!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I still have a vivid memory of a Christmas tree falling from the bed of a pickup and lodging under the car between me and it, lifting its front wheels off the road.

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
511 Posts
Road debris is a hazard and a challenge! Case in point: I'm driving along in my 4WD Tacoma, passing lane at 65+ MPH, a low slung VW GTI close behind me. I see something in the road ahead that turns out to be a 7' aluminum ladder that fell off a truck! I swerve and miss it, but the GTI behind me nailed it! I can't imagine the damage that resulted! You cannot always see what's up ahead of you or the vehicle in front of you that blocks your vision! Insurance companies???? Enough said!
Have had a nearly year long argument with a friend about a $40 foglight on her car due to road debris. We carpool on a long commute and agreed to spread the miles and costs by alternating days in each other's cars. OK. Fine. She doesn't like to drive so was frequently having me drive her car on her days, so I was driving 5 days a week, just not in my own car. Again, fine with me.

However, one night we were driving home after dark on the rural highway. Another car was coming around a curve bright-lighting me. Could still see the road as I learned years ago how to put my eyes on the white line and keep that as the focus when being bright lighted. What I didn't see until the brightlighting ass passed, was a BUCKET in the middle of the road. I saw it appear in my vision the second the other car passed, and it was right in front of us. Hit the brakes but was too close and I hit a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic oil.

Result was we had to jack up the car and pry the bucket out from under. Knocked out a foglight and tore up the mounting bracket, as well as a flap that was under that. Entire undercarriage drenched in oil, back of car sprayed with oil.

Thing is she says that was my fault so I should have to pay for her repairs since I was driving. I pointed out that basically negated the point of carpooling by exposing me to assume all the risk since she had asked me to drive. If I had an at fault accident, I totally see how she could hold me responsible. But she would have hit the bucket the same as me. For example, I don't pay for her oil changes just because I was driving the car, since the use of her car as part of our carpool includes sharing wear & tear costs. I don't pay for the tire wear when I'm driving either, because again, it's HER carpool day not mine. So an unavoidable road debris? I shouldn't have to pay for it because I was doing her a favor by driving her car on her carpool day. I see it like this: You shouldn't get out of being responsible for maintaining your car in a carpool just by having someone else drive your car every day.

Obviously she disagrees. The argument has lasted nearly a year and she does not allow me to drive her car now. She feels I should have seen the bucket and swerved and therefore it is my fault. Btw, she also feels that when I hit a deer in MY car (which I totally paid the ins. deductible for), that it was my fault also because I should have honked at the deer and it would have gotten out of the way (??!!!??)...

So yeah.. road debris. Some people have no clue and think you can dodge everything.

Reactions: celbii
1 - 11 of 11 Posts