Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Summer holidays this year mean Road Trip Italy 2017.

5 countries covered, Scotland, England, France, Switzerland and around 1200 miles and two hotel stops, finally got to Domaso in the north of Lake Como in Italy.

The Spider count has gone up on the trip:
2 in the U.K. on Saturday at the Dartford crossing over the Thames. A blue and a grey Lusso heading anti clockwise on M25.
Old Spider spotted in the Fiat dealers in Nancy, France yesterday morning.
A black Abarth and a positive exchange of " Bella machina", as I drove solo down the tunnels on the east side of Como,to get to pick up our Son, Adam from Malpensa airport - he has joined us for the Como part of the trip, but I have to get him back to the airport on Thursday!!

Today I've washed the car, to get the flies off the front,and rain marks off back bumper....does yours get really filthy when it rains.... and done a few round trips to refuel and get to the supermarket for supplies.
The Spider count has gone up again, red Lusso in local Fiat dealer, which has a couple of 124 saloons in a separate showroom - nice! Another red Lusso, this time parked up so we went alongside for a look and took some photos.

Fuel consumption average 39.9 over the weekend - 3.25 tankful to get here.
Sat Nav didn't like being in the lake side tunnels, and sulked for an hour. Once at Malpensa and parked, back up and running with no problems.
Abarth seats very comfortable.
Roadsterbag luggage really good - amazed what we have managed to pack without a boot (trunk) rack.
Climate very handy in 32 degrees heat when you don't want your forehead burned too much.
Lots of positive comments from everyone wherever we have parked-this gets nearly as much attention as my '74!

Pictures to post once I've worked out how to transfer from Adam's phone.

Great fun!!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
5 countries covered, Scotland, England, France, Switzerland and around 1200 miles and two hotel stops, finally got to Domaso in the north of Lake Como in Italy.
Yes, but do Scotland and England really count as two countries >:)

Fuel consumption average 39.9 over the weekend - 3.25 tankful to get here.
I'm getting ~33mpg when behaving. That's using mini-US gallons so your 39.9 using full-size imperial gallons sounds about right.

Climate very handy in 32 degrees heat when you don't want your forehead burned too much.
Be careful with that translucent Scottish skin when the top's down. Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Lucky you. I saw two black Abarths at Lake Como last month. Both had Italian plates.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If going through Mandello del Lario, tip your hat for me as you pass the Moto Guzzi factory. Better yet, stop to tour their museum, almost 100 years of building motorcycles.

Enjoy your holiday, and keep us posted!

Steve.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carrozzeria Nava in Chiavenna

Hi all

Visited a really cool father and son restoration shop today, with a great selection of classics being worked on.
Alfa Montreal in Orange
Alfa Guilia Coupe
Alfa 75 Prototipo track weapon
Alfa Spider Series 2 Kamm tail
Porsche 365B Cabriolet
Audi UR Quattro

Outside, the selection got even more varied:
Volga
Toyota Supra
Alfa Guilietta
Alfa Gold Cloverleaf
Fiat 850 Spider
Fiat 500
Lancia Fulvia
Alfa GTV x2
Clio Williams
Porsche 365A Cabriolet
Alfa Guilia SS
Porsche 365 Coupe

And a fantastic mountain backdrop looking out of the workshop!

Here's some pics to enjoy!

p.s. England is definitely another country, and haven't burned my forehead yet....how did you know this could happen to Scottish translucent skin??

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Added FIAT ABARTH decals to front wings(fenders)

Hi All

Now got some of these road trip photos under control!

I added decals, replicas, but in gloss black vinyl, instead of chrome, of the exact lettering that's on my '74.

Keeps the "black trim look" going after the dark side repeaters were fitted

My son didn't notice at first, which must mean they look "stock"?

Local sign making firm did them - helps answer questions about what kind of car it is.

Here's a picture taken, with my wife in passenger seat, before we set off from Nancy in France last Sunday.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Great pictures and great places. Thanks for posting!

I noticed you got trans dark grey / black side marker light on your Abarth, and they look nice! Where you got them? Was it easy to change vs the stock ones?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dark side repeaters

Hi Wolf

Ordered them via eBay Uk from a firm in Germany Blinkerhaus.

They have a US eBay account, cost $39 plus shipping $9.

Really easy to swap over, the bulbs are an integral part of both the OEM clears and these dark ones- just held in by a spring clip mounted on the inside of the bulb assembly - suggest you prise out with a plastic tool head with a cloth behind to save any scratching.
IL Motorsport in Germany also now do something similar, but with replaceable bulbs.

Hope that helps?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi Wolf

Ordered them via eBay Uk from a firm in Germany Blinkerhaus.

They have a US eBay account, cost $39 plus shipping $9.

Really easy to swap over, the bulbs are an integral part of both the OEM clears and these dark ones- just held in by a spring clip mounted on the inside of the bulb assembly - suggest you prise out with a plastic tool head with a cloth behind to save any scratching.
IL Motorsport in Germany also now do something similar, but with replaceable bulbs.

Hope that helps?
Yep, I'll search these on eBay. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts