Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had some requests for a sway bar upgrade less serious than our highly acclaimed Progress Sways.

Tested on our Fiat 124, now available at an amazing price of $249 for FRONT AND REAR complete with all hardware.

Features:
Included In Each Kit:
*Front Sway Bar: 27mm OD / 3.6mm wall, 3 adjustments
*Rear Sway Bar: 16mm solid, 3 adjustments
*Locating Collars
*Bushings and Brackets

Details CLICK HERE

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The front gets complicated by bar wall thickness and such, so perhaps easier to understand relative differences in the solid rear bars.

Miata ND Rear bar 11mm
Fiat Classica/Lusso 124 Rear bar 14mm (Abarth rear 13mm) Updated per discussion below.
RoadsterSport rear bar 16mm

·
Registered
49 Posts
Aren't the Abarth rear sway bars different than the Lusso/Classica? I thought I read that the Abarth actually used a smaller diameter bar.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be odd for the 'performance' version to use smaller bar, somebody with Abarth get under and check. So far, every version we see here is 14mm rear. Picture of me with micrometer checking a Miata "CLUB" which had similar rumors of different size but was in fact the same as every other Miata...11mm

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
To confirm the above, just measured my old rear sway bar (Abarth): 13mm.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with SJWhiteley above. measured my Abarth with a micrometer, 13.25mm.

But I don't think anyone should get too hung up on exact thickness. One of the main benefits of the GWR bars is the adjust-ability allowing you to fine tune front and rear independently to tweak the under/oversteer balance to whatever your preference is.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Installation

Rear, no biggie.

Front on the 124 is not so simple. A detailed tutorial or video would let me access my skills and if I can pull this off. I REALLY want to do it.

·
830 Posts
Front bar install

Installation

Rear, no biggie.

Front on the 124 is not so simple. A detailed tutorial or video would let me access my skills and if I can pull this off. I REALLY want to do it.
I have done this a few times and it is not a fun job. The bar only goes in one way and I suggest dropping the steering rack a little to gain some room to wiggle it in place. Having a helper to catch it on the other side is nice if you can find someone.

Reactions: Michael Alba

·
Registered
49 Posts
@Bulldog66 - do you have the link to the installation tutorial / video / pdf?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I don't. I have seen photos and read about the front, and yes you need to drop the steering column a little and remove several parts and let them hang to get it in. The MX5 while tricky and requires some twisting like a puzzle is much easier. Seen enough on the 124 to be afraid. ;) And no one around here I trust to do it. I did take a look when I replaced my springs and was not encouraged. Maybe...maybe...with a really good video and instructions...maybe.

Down the road for me (pun) I may drive to EC to have them install one along with a Stage 3 tune with parts and run it on their dyno. But, a boring LONG drive. A lot to do before that though. Maybe after I install the intercooler I will be stupid enough to think I can do it myself?

http://www.124spider.org/forum/153-brakes-suspension/10610-front-sway-bar-install.html

Reading through this one again, it sounds like doing it along with the inter-cooler would be slightly easier. IDK A multiple piece sway would likely be the way to go, there is one for the MX5 but not for the 124, and it is not cheap. A center bolt-through spline seems easy enough, but the market is not big enough would be my guess.

Reactions: Michael Alba

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
Installation

Rear, no biggie.

I don't. I have seen photos and read about the front, and yes you need to drop the steering column a little and remove several parts and let them hang to get it in. The MX5 while tricky and requires some twisting like a puzzle is much easier. Seen enough on the 124 to be afraid. ;) And no one around here I trust to do it. I did take a look when I replaced my springs and was not encouraged. Maybe...maybe...with a really good video and instructions...maybe.

Down the road for me (pun) I may drive to EC to have them install one along with a Stage 3 tune with parts and run it on their dyno. But, a boring LONG drive. A lot to do before that though. Maybe after I install the intercooler I will be stupid enough to think I can do it myself?

http://www.124spider.org/forum/153-brakes-suspension/10610-front-sway-bar-install.html

Reading through this one again, it sounds like doing it along with the inter-cooler would be slightly easier. IDK A multiple piece sway would likely be the way to go, there is one for the MX5 but not for the 124, and it is not cheap. A center bolt-through spline seems easy enough, but the market is not big enough would be my guess.
If I were to write a tutorial for a front sway bar install similar to the one I wrote for the EC intercooler kit, would either of you feel comfortable enough to do it yourself? I'd list every tool you need and document every single step of the process with clear pictures and arrows showing what you need to do next.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
If I were to write a tutorial for a front sway bar install similar to the one I wrote for the EC intercooler kit, would either of you feel comfortable enough to do it yourself? I'd list every tool you need and document every single step of the process with clear pictures and arrows showing what you need to do next.
If you were to do that, I might be inclined to tackle it myself, depending on what was involved.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I would have to read it first to be honest. I can say this though, without your outstanding write up on the intercooler I would have never considered tackling it, but now I am planning on it. It is very nice work.

·
Registered
49 Posts

@Bulldog66 - I was thinking about that too. Since the intercooler hoses will need to be removed, might as well tackle the intercooler but altogether that's probably at least 3+ hours of work plus the cost of the intercooler. I might hold off on that since the brake kit, lowering springs, and sway bars are all going in already. This car is so much fun to leave in the garage for too long.

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
@Bulldog66 - I was thinking about that too. Since the intercooler hoses will need to be removed, might as well tackle the intercooler but altogether that's probably at least 3+ hours of work plus the cost of the intercooler. I might hold off on that since the brake kit, lowering springs, and sway bars are all going in already. This car is so much fun to leave in the garage for too long.
The portion of intercooler hose that has to come out is fairly easy to remove and re-attach so you won't exactly be saving a whole lot of time with the intercooler install by doing them both at once.

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Finally got the parts installed:
+H&R Lowering Springs (F1.2" / R1.1")
+H&R TRAK+ Wheel Spacer Kit (F 20MM / R 25MM)
+Eibach Front & Rear Swaybar Kit

The rear swaybar was quick (<30 min) but the front took about 4 hours. Space is tight and the Eibachs were larger in diameter. Definitely need patience and time for this. Removing the steering column may be tedious but it's the best way to remove/install the front swaybar.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts