Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ROLL Protection Installation Started!

First, removing the factory hoops. Under the factory thick plastic the stock bar is very thin, about an inch.

Head Mechanic Rocky removing stock roll protection which, fortunately, is bolt-in item. Stock bar is made to help you live through a low speed event. What does that mean? It means you get hit in an intersection and flip when the SUV pushes you into the curb and your Fiat flops over and traps you under. Do NOT depend on stock protection for track days, most smart track day groups will NOT allow the weak stock hoops on track and nobody should be dumb enough to depend on them for protection at track speeds.

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
Nice work Brian!
I hope all the "bits" went back as pretty as when you began. If I recall this car is your wife's baby, right?
Does SCCA accept the replacement hoops as a roll bar? Did you leave them bare and powder-coated? Is there an inspection hole?
best regards,
Pete

·
124 Spider Vendor
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Weather rolled in yesterday before we finished, will finish today and take pics when the Sun is back out tomorrow.

Yes, all SCCA regs are satisfied...including that inspection hole. Powder coated. Same bar has already been to many SCCA events in our ND Miata.
* NASA Legal too, NASA CCR 11.4.7

Picture of what it looks like with stock bar removed. If not for the roll protection there would be room for back seat...like my 78 Fiat 124 spider had!

Picture of wimpy factory hoops under the plastic.

·
124 Spider Vendor
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Project Fiat 124 showing off new Roll Bar and 6UL 17x9 in Charcoal

Both versions of factory wind blocker below (soft top version and RF). Seat back angle goes back one click more than before without the plastic covers being present, nice additional comfort for us tall guys to be able to lean it back an extra click.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I would love this. How much for install if I brought my car to your shop?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Project Fiat 124 showing off new Roll Bar and 6UL 17x9 in Charcoal

Both versions of factory wind blocker below (soft top version and RF). Seat back angle goes back one click more than before without the plastic covers being present, nice additional comfort for us tall guys to be able to lean it back an extra click.

Brian, do. you guys have installation instructions anywhere?

·
124 Spider Vendor
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have them in electronic form but pretty simple process. Pull the plastic that is held in by plastic rivets, unbolt stock bar, bolt in new bar. The only real 'work' is that it has two additional connection points for rear legs that go back under the body work, that means some drilling for those two connections and backing plates that come up through the wheel wells. Then trim plastic where bigger diameter bars come out, install all the plastic again, install covers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts