Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I saw on the MX5 ND forum, many people have problems with the roof as the interior cloth of the roof touches the roll bars and is damaged. Many persons got a new roof.
Any problems here ? :confused: as the same roof is on the spider

·
Registered
958 Posts
The only issue with the roof that I have seen on this forum is the inner liner coming loose from its clip and hanging down, obscuring the rear view. I had this problem after some high speed top down driving. It was easily put back in place and never occurred again. Others have had this problem, but I think they were all resolved easily. It just clips into a slot.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The only issue with the roof that I have seen on this forum is the inner liner coming loose from its clip and hanging down, obscuring the rear view. I had this problem after some high speed top down driving. It was easily put back in place and never occurred again. Others have had this problem, but I think they were all resolved easily. It just clips into a slot.
The dealer was pretty much helpless with this since there is almost no information from Fiat. The Fiats are already updated with the "fixed" roof but repeated raising and lowering the roof still knocked mine loose. Part of that is that the side clips (on mine at least) weren't put in place with adhesive, which is the correct way, so the clips dropped out behind the seats. I finally went and spoke to the Mazda dealer's service department and they said that for those who continue to have the problem even after the fix, they simply replace the top. Since my Fiat tech didn't have any information on this yet, it was easy enough to for me to glue across the slot and it has stayed just fine ever since. Frankly, I don't get why it isn't kept in place like this anyway.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I too noticed the front edge of the fabric had been touching the roll bar cover when the top is first folded. A gentle but firm downward push on the rear of the folded top gives you the required gap.

·
Registered
242 Posts
There have been reports on this forum about the 124 roof rubbing on roll bar cover. See Not a Great Start .... On my Abarth the roof liner rubs against the roll bar cover when the roof is lowered or raised, but I see no effect on the roll bar cover or roof liner at this point.
56S, I don't understand how you can give a "downward push on the rear of the folded top" when you are sitting in the car, which is the preferred place from which to raise or lower the roof.

·
Registered
282 Posts
There have been reports on this forum about the 124 roof rubbing on roll bar cover. See Not a Great Start .... On my Abarth the roof liner rubs against the roll bar cover when the roof is lowered or raised, but I see no effect on the roll bar cover or roof liner at this point.
56S, I don't understand how you can give a "downward push on the rear of the folded top" when you are sitting in the car, which is the preferred place from which to raise or lower the roof.
Using muscles I haven't used in years, I can reach. I did notice in time after a few miles it will seat in and the gap is present.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've had the problem - noticed a frayed area on the leading edge of the fabric roof, and traced it to the rollbar cover - which had the paint rubbed off it where it contacted! There is no way of creating a gap, and I've had the roof down a lot so it's not going to 'bed in'.

Took it back to the dealer, who was gratifyingly concerned and agreed that both should be replaced under warranty. Interestingly - for the 'fix it again, Tony' phobics - he said it's the first problem of ANY kind he's seen with a Spider.

He's going to report it to Fiat - watch this space...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I too have the top rub issue. As i also had read about it being frequent enough on the ND i was watching for it. My first F124 did not have this issue at all, lots of clearance. My A124 though does have the issue. I noted it the first time i put the top down so i always make sure i open it from the outside and give it a slight push on the rearward edge in the middle. To date i still have no wear, however i did bring it to the attention of my local dealer and asked them to look into a remedy for it. I told them to just create a request for Fiat so they are aware of it and i will watch/wait until Fiat catches up with Mazda for a remedy. I really just wanted to start a paper trail so it will be documented from new for warranty purposes just in case.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Had I not read about it here I may well have rub throughs already. The push does the trick for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is this happening with the seat set all the way back or at any position? Tall driver problem? Don't have mine yet to look at (separate post...)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Too late for me... Also not easy if you're raising/lowering on the move or at the lights.
. It isn't that hard to rach back a give a gentle push down while seated.

Is this happening with the seat set all the way back or at any position? Tall driver problem? Don't have mine yet to look at (separate post...)
. It seems to unrelated to the seat position.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I actually can't get it not to rub - even if I stand behind and haul the lowered roof backwards, it doesn't budge or move away from the rollbar.

Though I have my seat back all the way (as anyone over about 5' 10" does!), it makes no difference as you say. and it only contacts on the driver's side.

Anyway... Fiat's problem, I hope. Not nearly bad enough to cause a leak, and we're having the dryest April/May on record here!

·
Registered
476 Posts
i'm 5'4" so the seat is definitely not all the way back. with 5k now on my car i haven't seen the top touching the roll bar in the past few weeks. i still open from outside and make sure it doesn't touch until i feel comfortable that it is resolved. my top goes up and down at least three times a day and usually 5-7 days per week depending on weather and errands. so i guess maybe the top just needs broken in to correct the issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dealer FINALLY got back to me the other day, and said Fiat are sending parts to fix it. Could take a while - but still waterproof and a cosmetic problem only.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 101 Posts