Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
798 Posts
After reading about the top rubbing against the back of the rollbars, I went to my storage unit and lowered the top on mine. Sure enough, it's making contact on both the driver and passenger side. Now, having said that, it could be that I'm not lowering it correctly, and I've read that pulling or pushing down on the rear of the top as it's being lowered will fix this. I'm going to try it next time I'm at my storage unit, and if it still rubs, I'll take it to the Fiat dealer down the street and have them show me the "right" way to lower the top. That way, if it's still rubbing when THEY do it, I'll know it's the top, and not the operator!
Do you mean it's rubbing as you close it? Or it's rubbing up against it after locked into place>? If the former I can see how the method you use could cause it to rub while opening and closing, but once it's locked into place I can't see how the method used would matter. It is where it is.

When I close mine it doesn't rub while I'm doing it, but once lowered and locked it's butt up against the roll bar covers. I don't see any way that position could be altered by lowering it differently.

· Registered
798 Posts
It's rubbing when closed, not when closing. There is NO room between the edge of the top and the back of the rollbar thingy on the driver and passenger sides. I can easily see how keeping the top in this position will wear a hole in the top at the contact points, as well as wear off the paint on the roll bar covers. I'll have to take a pic next time I'm at my storage unit...
Mine is the same way. I just don't see how closing it differently would make a difference, as some suggest. Doesn't matter how I manipulate it during the process, it ends up in the same place. Up against the roll bar covers. Mine's stored now so no worries, but it is concerning.

· Registered
798 Posts
For what it's worth, mine used to sit up against the roll bar on the driver's when lowered. On advice somewhere I began lowering the top from outside the car and pushing back on the rear section to keep it from rubbing. After doing this for a few weeks it no longer rubs there, even when lowering the top one-handed from inside. It's as if repeatedly forcing it further back has altered it enough that force is no longer needed.

You can see the current clearance in the attached photo, along with a slight rub mark where it used to come in contact with the roll bar cover.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts