Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Will post again if/when fixed.
AJJ, this second photo, can you zoom out a bit more so I can see the entire surrounding area of that damage? Thanks,
Steve.

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
407 Posts
I have the same thing :(

The damage to my top looks identical and the roll hoop is shaved down. I do have the seat back all the way and have not tried to "push back on the glass". Called the dealership today and looks like I'm taking it in Monday.

Day 3 of owning the car - at least it's not really a Fiat issue.

If pushing down on the glass fixed it I'm fine with that as long as they replace the top cover and assembly under warrant as they showed me multiple times how great it was to put the top down from inside the car - no glass pushing involved.

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
407 Posts
Hope dealer replaces top and back hoops.

Planning on getting another set of hoops and sanding/modifying them gain more clearance then get them painted. ~$135 for a new set plus some paint... Seems worth it to be done with the issue forever.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
My problem was that somehow the straps for the rear support bar came undone, so the top was saggy and drooping, causing the view out the rear window to be half blocked :| .

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
407 Posts
Took the car to the dealership this morning and so far so good. They took pictures and agree that it needs a new top assembly and roll hoops. I'm expecting a call back in the next two days for the official plan forward.

They said the aluminum roll hoop placement is adjustable and they think they can fix the clearance issues by applying forward pressure when they tighten them down.

Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
476 Posts
absolutely shocked at these pictures of damage from the top rubbing the roll bars. i don't remember anything so extensive on the miata site, only light rubs that eventually wore thru the material. my top has broken in now, with about 5k on the clock, and have not seen it rub in a couple weeks. i still keep an eye out for it and have taken to opening the top from in the car as opposed to outside, then getting out to inspect it to verify not rubbing.

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
407 Posts
Still waiting to hear back from dealership - they think Fiat will respond Friday.

In the mean time the roof leaks from the driver side middle of the window where the sound deadening panel stops. Pretty sure it's unrelated. I love driving the car, but ownership has been a bummer so far. Fingers crossed a new roof fixes all the issues.

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
407 Posts
Doesn't look like a lot, but when you accelerate it dumps whatever has accumulated on your left shoulder.

Attachments

Reactions: Seagas

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mine has some slight damage that was pointed out by my father's eagle eyes, I am probably going to wait until I get an aftermarket roll-bar to get the top replaced to eliminate the problem all together.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mine has a gap on passenger side, but up against the drive side, I did show this to the salesmen before leaving the dealership. Time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Add me to the list. Thanks to this thread, I just saw it's happening to mine. Slight rip in the top and the roll bar is scratched. Driver's side only.

With 4200 miles I was going to wait a little longer for my first oil change but now I'm going to get it to the dealer asap. Bummer

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mine has a gap on passenger side, but up against the drive side, I did show this to the salesmen before leaving the dealership. Time will tell I guess.
I've found that closing the top from the outside while pushing to rear as I push down locks the top down with gaps at both roll bars even after driving around.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, but the whole point of the mechanism is the ability to open/close from the inside - even while driving at a modest speed. Important in the UK, where summer comes in 30-minute bursts, interspersed by rain.

BTW, some have suggested that jamming the seat all the way back moves the rollbar assembly backwards, creating or exaggerating the problem. I tried it yesterday. It doesn't. At 6' 4", that is a relief...

Taking Alfredo to the dealer on Tuesday for what I hope is a new roof, bar cover and mech adjustment. Will post result.

21 - 40 of 104 Posts