Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Stunning incompetence...

Taking Alfredo to the dealer on Tuesday for what I hope is a new roof, bar cover and mech adjustment. Will post result.
...and the result is... almost incredible.

Last Friday, the dealer called me to say that 'the parts' for the roof replacement had arrived.

Took the car in, chatted to the service manager, took my folding bike out of the boot/trunk/tiny storage space and cycled off to work in the sunshine, whistling a merry tune (when not on a hill).

Later that morning there was an email: could I call the dealer? He said that they couldn't complete the repair because he hadn't noticed that a vital part had not arrived yet:

The roof...

So I cycled back to the dealer - this being Britain, by now it was pouring with rain - and swore all the way home. They expect delivery this Friday, but I'm not holding my breath. Not after all that extra cycling.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
DARN!!! Just noticed this today happening to me today! DARN DARN DARN...Im actually saying a lot worse as I TYPED.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry to hear that... The roof for mine arrived on Monday, and I hope to pick the car up this evening. I'll let you know - I'm worried that the workshop won't have enough experience to get the mechanism right. And presumably the tolerances are pretty small to keep it waterproof. Less of a problem for you in Hawaii, unless you're going to take it surfing...

I hope yours gets sorted ok - let us know!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Thanks bro...we will see. I just noticed it today and will continue to watch. Gonna try the advice and open from outside. See if I can control the issue. But I do need to get to the dealer and get it documented. I noticed it today when I was upgrading the ECU to the Phase 1. I set the obd controller on the retracted roof and that's when I saw the rub. Boooooooooo.

I drop the top daily and it rains daily too, so weatherproofing is VERY important! Never been a surfer.

Aloha ! !! !!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Picked the car up after the roof fix. All very neat - but I'm not convinced there's an awful lot of difference with the new roof! The tolerance between the front edge and the rollbar cover is very small.

The manager said to bring it back in 4 weeks for a look. He then told me that he has a Spider as his company car - and noticed the same thing starting with his roof! He wonders whether Fiat may be heading for a recall...

Anyway, all very amicable, and a wash and polish thrown in. And I had a quick look at the 500X SUV - very nice... Anyone have any experience of it..?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks to this forum and this thread, I took a look at my Spider yesterday and sure enough...there was a rubbed spot on my driver's side roll bar. The fabric top is right up against it. The passenger's side is good to go with about an 1/8 of an inch gap. Fortunately, I have only had the car for a short while so it has not had time to wear a hole in the fabric. I had an appointment in the afternoon and right after that, I headed to the dealership. The tech that I talked too had no idea what I was talking about and he said that the main Fiat Tech that knew the most about the spider 124's was in classes in Richmond for the week learning more about the cars. I showed the Tech the problem and suggested that he get in touch with the tech in Richmond, explain the situation, and that would be a good subject to discuss in their class! I commented that this may be a recall item in the future and the tech said no, recalls have to do with safety issues. I said well, if a hole rips in the fabric and rain starts flying in my face...that would be a safety issue! He grunted with a look of disdain. Couldn't help myself. Once he took a good look at it, he did seemed concerned and said that he would get on it and call me as soon as he could find out something. He checked on their site and he said that there was nothing listed about this problem. I told him to check out this forum. So...we will see. I told him that I didn't want to have to have a complete roof replacement in the near future if the problem could be corrected now. I also told him that I had learned more from this forum than from the dealership. He said that he wasn't surprised.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I take Wendi in on Thursday...Scheduler said to me..."probably just an adjustment..." I scoffed. Plus, he said we only have one Fiat tech at the dealership. (thats completely reassuring....ummmm NOT!) I'm with you @Tinstar ...I truly don't want my top replaced. I plan on speaking to the Fiat tech one on one. IDK what that will accomplish... but I hope he reads this....Aloha only Cutter Fiat tech!!!! lol...

Reactions: Tinstar

·
Registered
476 Posts
The fix on the Mazda side of things is to put some type of special washer in/on the roll bars. For those of you that have the issue maybe you can take that to your people to have them look into it. There is a TSB listed in this thread. https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=591981&page=10

·
Registered
557 Posts
I notice that there is a fair amount of play on those plastic roll bar covers so I think you're on to something.

From all the previous posts about the retracted roof rubbing the back of the roll bar, maybe the issue is not the roof, but the roll bar itself? Could it be adjusted forward in anyway? Remove it, open up the mounting holes larger then reinstall and adjust?

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
It amazes me, actually perhaps not, that non of the dealers confronting this "roof" issue did not consider the roll bar/roll bar covers as a source of the problem. Either stateside or in the UK. The roof rubs: Must be the roof!!

I'd hate to see the thought process when they are confronted with a real technical issue. Amazing.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Rosso, Manual, GFB Diverter, Top Speed Axle back exhaust. Took possession Dec16
98 Posts
Just noticed my top was rubbing the roll bar today, looks like it has been there for a bit. I am near 9k miles now, big gouge in the plastic cover and small hole worn on the edge of the top. Will be making an appointment to hav this looked at and prepared to notify FCA if I do not get results. This should be covered by warranty.
Bummer?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not too happy...

I had the top replaced - see previous posts - but I think they didn't really engage the brain.

It was clear from the outset that nothing had changed, and that they had simply replaced it - and the rollbar covers - and assumed it would all then be fine.

It's not - in fact BOTH sides are rubbing now! I agree with hefbadr that the covers are at least part of the problem, and that removal of the purely cosmetic ridge on the back would solve the problem.

Contacting the garage - again...

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
407 Posts
Well, my roof was fixed under warranty.

What happened:
I first noticed that my roof was damaged on the third day of ownership. The driver side of the roof front lip was scraping against the back of my seat hoop - this caused damage to the seat hoop (it was shaved down) as well as the roof lip (it wore a hole in the canvas and dented the underlying metal). I also had a seemingly unreleased leak on the driver side - it would leak from that little recessed black metal ?button/protrusion? from the roof frame where two pieces come together a bit in front of your head. It would take a little while to leak once it got wet, but once the roof canvas was saturated it leaked nonstop (enough that I used a towel while driving rolled up in the window and tucked into the sun visor, and one in the seat when parked outside.

Dealership experience:
Personally, my experience was horrible, but I don?t think yours will be. All I can say is i?d avoid a Northside Houston dealership near 99. The dealership covered it under warranty - no questions asked or issues encountered. They didn?t seem surprised, and had their lead mechanic replace the entire roof assembly. This took 5 days total - after waiting for 4 months due to reasons leading to my disdain of this dealership. For those of you curious, the parts are special order and talk about 1.5-2 weeks to arrive.

Results:
I?m very satisfied! This new roof seems perfect. It?s considerably tighter than my factory roof, and latching it requires a bit more effort (no complaints). The spacing when closed in relation to the roll hoop is much improved. I can?t even get the two to make contact if I try - perfect! I have not had a chance to test for leaks, but asked the dealership to test it since my factory top leaked - they say no leaks after an hour of the water hose running on the roof (going to test myself soon). The driver side window seals seem to line up better too.

I?ll try to check back in once it breaks in a bit. Good luck!

Reactions: wolf18t

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well, my roof was fixed under warranty.

The spacing when closed in relation to the roll hoop is much improved. I can?t even get the two to make contact if I try - perfect! !

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

I caught mine early, but still the roll hoop is scrached and the top is slightly frayed. I'm extremely careful raising and lowering the roof so it doesn't get worse. I shouldn't have to be but there is very little space between the two.

My dealer wasn't helpful the first time I brought it to their attention but I'm going to keep pestering them. I'm hoping to get it replaced before the warranty expires.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts