Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bump! Considering I’m looking into buying this car, this would personally piss me off, I don’t have time or patience to deal with this crap from new car.
It's impossible to tell from posts on a forum how common or rare any particular problem may be. There's lots of folks on this forum and on facebook that have never reported experiencing a problem with the soft top, and I'm among them. In 18 months of ownership, mine continues to work flawlessly. But if I was in the market for a Spider today, it's something I would look at closely on any vehicle I was interested in purchasing. That's one of the great things about forums like this, they provide other people's experience, knowledge, and perceptions and at least give a heads up on things to consider and to be aware of.

·
Registered
714 Posts
After reading about the top rubbing against the back of the rollbars, I went to my storage unit and lowered the top on mine. Sure enough, it's making contact on both the driver and passenger side. Now, having said that, it could be that I'm not lowering it correctly, and I've read that pulling or pushing down on the rear of the top as it's being lowered will fix this. I'm going to try it next time I'm at my storage unit, and if it still rubs, I'll take it to the Fiat dealer down the street and have them show me the "right" way to lower the top. That way, if it's still rubbing when THEY do it, I'll know it's the top, and not the operator!

·
Registered
798 Posts
After reading about the top rubbing against the back of the rollbars, I went to my storage unit and lowered the top on mine. Sure enough, it's making contact on both the driver and passenger side. Now, having said that, it could be that I'm not lowering it correctly, and I've read that pulling or pushing down on the rear of the top as it's being lowered will fix this. I'm going to try it next time I'm at my storage unit, and if it still rubs, I'll take it to the Fiat dealer down the street and have them show me the "right" way to lower the top. That way, if it's still rubbing when THEY do it, I'll know it's the top, and not the operator!
Do you mean it's rubbing as you close it? Or it's rubbing up against it after locked into place>? If the former I can see how the method you use could cause it to rub while opening and closing, but once it's locked into place I can't see how the method used would matter. It is where it is.

When I close mine it doesn't rub while I'm doing it, but once lowered and locked it's butt up against the roll bar covers. I don't see any way that position could be altered by lowering it differently.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Do you mean it's rubbing as you close it? Or it's rubbing up against it after locked into place>? If the former I can see how the method you use could cause it to rub while opening and closing, but once it's locked into place I can't see how the method used would matter. It is where it is.

When I close mine it doesn't rub while I'm doing it, but once lowered and locked it's butt up against the roll bar covers. I don't see any way that position could be altered by lowering it differently.
It's rubbing when closed, not when closing. There is NO room between the edge of the top and the back of the rollbar thingy on the driver and passenger sides. I can easily see how keeping the top in this position will wear a hole in the top at the contact points, as well as wear off the paint on the roll bar covers. I'll have to take a pic next time I'm at my storage unit...

·
Registered
798 Posts
It's rubbing when closed, not when closing. There is NO room between the edge of the top and the back of the rollbar thingy on the driver and passenger sides. I can easily see how keeping the top in this position will wear a hole in the top at the contact points, as well as wear off the paint on the roll bar covers. I'll have to take a pic next time I'm at my storage unit...
Mine is the same way. I just don't see how closing it differently would make a difference, as some suggest. Doesn't matter how I manipulate it during the process, it ends up in the same place. Up against the roll bar covers. Mine's stored now so no worries, but it is concerning.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
When it's open..and locked in place. Push down in the middle or closer to the back of the top. You'll see the top move back a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch. This should help. I make an effort to do this either standing out side that car when opening or seated inside. Maybe it's helps? But it helps my MIND!

Aloha

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think some folks have issues with the edge of the top rubbing against the bottom back of the roll bars when folded closed, and some notice the roof makes contact with the top of the roll bars when the top is up. I have a 2018 Lusso and when the top is down, there is about a 1/4" between the edge of the top and the back of the roll bars. When the top is up, there is very little space between the top of the roll bars and the roof, not quite touching but very close. Maybe they fixed this problem for 2018. I sure hope so.

·
Registered
798 Posts
For what it's worth, mine used to sit up against the roll bar on the driver's when lowered. On advice somewhere I began lowering the top from outside the car and pushing back on the rear section to keep it from rubbing. After doing this for a few weeks it no longer rubs there, even when lowering the top one-handed from inside. It's as if repeatedly forcing it further back has altered it enough that force is no longer needed.

You can see the current clearance in the attached photo, along with a slight rub mark where it used to come in contact with the roll bar cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I luckily don’t seem to be having the problem with the front edge of the roof or roll bars but I do I have the inner liner by the rear window dropping down & the plastic lugs falling off. I have put these back & pushed the trim back in place but just falls out again once the roof comes down. Just can’t see how it’s supposed to be held in place long term as no clips I can see, oh well it’s off to the dealer to get them to have a look.

They are also going to have a look at the annoying creak/knocking sound which stops when I push the plastic trim just behind me shoulder, I’m hoping that just needs reseating as it seems in place well enough, but not as good as the passenger side.

Other than these minor things I love the car & have still only seen one other where I live, I feel in such a privaledged club, but Fiat really are missing out, especially with the good weather in the U.K........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Booked Spider into Piccadilly Fiat in Knaresborough today to look at damaged roll hoop cover due to misallined folding top.

Fiat have a technical bulletin to correct this issue now and this will be done when the new rollover hoop is in stock in about 10 days.

Pretty happy if this is all sorted before our meet up in Derbyshire.

Keith

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Can you post the tech bulletin you are referring too..please.
Aloha mike

·
Registered
400 Posts
My studio has acknowledged the top is rubbing and said I can replace it whenever I'd like. My service advisor and I are basically waiting until closer to the warranty ends and putting on a new one then.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Mahalo @Stillrollin

But I want the FCA Fiat tech bulletin. (Yes I know they are the same..but better ammunition when it’s FCA)

So I can bring it to the dealer, studio..and get my RED top under warranty exchange!

Aloha Mike

Reactions: TeddyK

·
Registered
473 Posts
Mahalo @Stillrollin

But I want the FCA Fiat tech bulletin. (Yes I know they are the same..but better ammunition when it’s FCA)

So I can bring it to the dealer, studio..and get my RED top under warranty exchange!

Aloha Mike
I have not been able to find any FCA Tech Bulletin for this issue. I complained three times about my top when it was in for other things like oil change. i knew they didn't have a fix, just wanted a papertrail at every visit until there was a remedy, but so far my research says FCA is pretending like there is not issue. Since then it seems my top has finally broken in and i no longer have the issue. I was very religious about pushing down on the back side of the top after i opened it until i was sure that it had stopped rubbing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all

My Lusso+ is now back at the dealer having the top re-alienged an the driver side hoop cover replaced.

They just rung to ask if I would like a complete new top ordering in light of the (very) slight mark on the leader edge of the top rail.

Pretty good service. I will keep you all posted

Keith

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi All

Spider back from dealer with roof refitted and roll hoop cover replaced. There is now a good 1/2” gap when roof down and no rubbing.

Decided that front rail of the top although ever so slightly worn will be OK for now but a replacement roof had been offered, if necessary, by Fiat.

Excellent service from Piccadilly Motors in Knaresborough North Yorkshire. They really do care about getting things ‘right’ ?

Would recommend.

Keith

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi All

Spider back from dealer with roof refitted and roll hoop cover replaced. There is now a good 1/2” gap when roof down and no rubbing.

Decided that front rail of the top although ever so slightly worn will be OK for now but a replacement roof had been offered, if necessary, by Fiat.

Excellent service from Piccadilly Motors in Knaresborough North Yorkshire. They really do care about getting things ‘right’ ?

Would recommend.

Keith
Glad to hear. When I went to a dealer about that they looked at me like I had 2 heads. They didn't "get" why I was complaining. Despite the fact the roll bar loop is worn and there's a dent in the roof leading edge from constantly rubbing it.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts