Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only issue with the roof that I have seen on this forum is the inner liner coming loose from its clip and hanging down, obscuring the rear view. I had this problem after some high speed top down driving. It was easily put back in place and never occurred again. Others have had this problem, but I think they were all resolved easily. It just clips into a slot.
JF, I have the same problem with convertible top sagging and obscuring my view out the rear window when the top is up. Any idea the part number or specific name so that I can order a clip to avoid having to tuck it back up in? I can take it to the dealer but it is an hour away and would rather just get the parts and fix myself. The Mopar site is useless unless you know exactly what you want. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure where your are up to but based on my experience - keep trying!

Certainly this dealer has the Fiat technical bulletin explaining how to fix under warranty. I didn’t even buy the car from them as I could do a deal for their demo car and PX my Mazda.

How far away are you?

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Keith

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well the local dealer had the car all day & tried to fix the drooping inner liner, but no joy. New roof now on order from Italy, should be in the UK in the next few weeks. Can’t fault the service, but an expensive warranty claim for Fiat.

I wander if Fiat pass the cost to Mazda as I assume this is a Mazda part?

·
Registered
557 Posts
It's a Mazda roof and Mazda has a service bulletin on it also. The fix didn't really hold on my roof for more than a few days and our tops already incorporate the fix to begin with. I finally just glued the edge into the j-track instead of using the clips alone. That was over a year and a half ago and it's been fine since. (At the time, replacement roofs would have taken ages to get anyway.)

Well the local dealer had the car all day & tried to fix the drooping inner liner, but no joy. New roof now on order from Italy, should be in the UK in the next few weeks. Can’t fault the service, but an expensive warranty claim for Fiat.

I wander if Fiat pass the cost to Mazda as I assume this is a Mazda part?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have a rubbed hole on the leading edge of the soft top where it has been rubbing on the back of the headrest / roll bar. Have people been having the roof replaced under the warranty in the UK to fix the problem? Is this recognised by Fiat UK as a problem and is there a remedy to stop it happening once the roof is replaced?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks to this thread I checked my roof and found that I have light scratches on roll-bar covers and minor abrasion on the roof. Notified my dealer during regular service and they will order the parts and fix it as warranty repair.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unfortunately I have the same problem on the driver’s side. :( The roof has a dent on the drivers frontside and the rollbar is scraped.

Last friday I visited my dealer, he was going to take iT up with the dutch Fiat importer. He foresees a problem since the car was delevered new in Italy, but the warranty is european and the car has been serviced properly.

I will keep you posted....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Last friday I visited my dealer, he was going to take iT up with the dutch Fiat importer. He foresees a problem since the car was delevered new in Italy, but the warranty is european and the car has been serviced properly.

I will keep you posted....
It took Some effort, But everything is fixed:

My local dealer is a fiat/alfa dealer and does Abarth service. His warranty request was denied. For warranty issues I had to go to one of the 6 official Abarth dealers in Holland. A bit strange since the importer and al the parts used are identical to de Fiat 124... but this was the only way to get everything fixed under warranty.

Eventually (2 days before the factory warranty ended) I went to Wim Prins in Nunspeet, very Nice and cooperative guys. They took care of the issues, replaced the rollover hoops and fitted a new roof. Quite a good service considering they saw the car for the first time..

The new roof has a better tighter fit, so the Abarth looks sharper than ever!

Reactions: Mike34 and Kturley

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought my new 2018 124 and saw this and checked it. The roof was rubbing the roll bar. Easy fix if you're not afraid of drills. get a couple 1" by 1/8 or so and a drill bit slightly smaller and drill a hole at the point where it rubs but not on the crease. screw the screw through the plastic and into the metal behind it until snug. pulls it in a good 1/4 inch and no more rub!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I just bought my new 2018 124 and saw this and checked it. The roof was rubbing the roll bar. Easy fix if you're not afraid of drills. get a couple 1" by 1/8 or so and a drill bit slightly smaller and drill a hole at the point where it rubs but not on the crease. screw the screw through the plastic and into the metal behind it until snug. pulls it in a good 1/4 inch and no more rub!
Well I applaud your ingenuity. But I don't think that would look good at all. (At least for me) I suppose my ADD would kick in and I would look at the screw head constantly.

Although, I understand your reluctance to to take it to a dealer to end up having them give you the run around.

aloha mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I applaud your ingenuity. But I don't think that would look good at all. (At least for me) I suppose my ADD would kick in and I would look at the screw head constantly.

Although, I understand your reluctance to to take it to a dealer to end up having them give you the run around.

aloha mike
The screw ends up being right below the top when down so you don't see it.

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
393 Posts
Mine is at the dealer for the top running issue. Still waiting to hear back, but hopefully she’ll be getting her 2nd replacement top. Planning to do a roll bar immediately after and stop the rubbing for good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is at the dealer for the top running issue. Still waiting to hear back, but hopefully she’ll be getting her 2nd replacement top. Planning to do a roll bar immediately after and stop the rubbing for good.
What is the warranty periode in the US? 3 years? My 2017 Abarth had a 2 year warranty, in 2019 all FCA products receive a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
393 Posts
Well, Fiat initially denied the second roof and recommended I take it back to the dealership that did the initial replacement. They’ve agreed to replace it again - so it all worked out. Im likely going the route of a roll bar to keep it from happening a third time.

Reactions: Gijserati

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
393 Posts
I got the car back and the new top looks good. They said that they also shimmed the roll bar structure with washers to give more space. I’m not so sure it’s really fixed as long as the OEM structure is in place - it still look like it could rub. Oddly enough I now have matte black plastic rear roll hoop covers, the originals and first set of replacements were the gunmetal Abarth version.

Anyhow, I ordered a Blackbird Fabworx roll bar - it should add more spacing so this stops happening. Excited about the increased safety - but not looking forward to the install.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I wonder where they got the flat black hoop covers from? The MOPAR replacement covers come in black are a "piano black gloss". Could this be a Mazda replacement part?

·
Registered
212 Posts
When I put the top down, I almost always do it from outside the car so I can gently push down on the back of the top to create a gap between the top and the hoops. Is this good enough? If not or quite possibly even if it is good enough, I plan on doing as @Arthur suggests.

Larry

81 - 100 of 103 Posts