Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's a Mazda roof and Mazda has a service bulletin on it also. The fix didn't really hold on my roof for more than a few days and our tops already incorporate the fix to begin with. I finally just glued the edge into the j-track instead of using the clips alone. That was over a year and a half ago and it's been fine since. (At the time, replacement roofs would have taken ages to get anyway.)
Hello,what glue did you use? Also there are 3 layers, so just above the inner layer is a loose material. Where does that go? It seems to go behind the rail of the bottom layer then the rail pushes into the track. Is that right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
JF, I have the same problem with convertible top sagging and obscuring my view out the rear window when the top is up. Any idea the part number or specific name so that I can order a clip to avoid having to tuck it back up in? I can take it to the dealer but it is an hour away and would rather just get the parts and fix myself. The Mopar site is useless unless you know exactly what you want. Thanks.
I have 2019 Abarth, same issue, the back became detached from the section above the rear window. It was difficult to put back in.
I contacted the dealership, apparently someone with a 2017 had the exact same issue, the only solution was to replace the entire cowl.
Luckily my warranty is still active, otherwise it would have cost $5k!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, guys I had the same issue with the rear window liner on my 2020 Abarth during hot weather drives in Alabama. It took about 5 minutes to fix no issues since as explained in the following detail: 1. Lower the top about halfway down. 2. Slide both seats forward and tilt both seatbacks forward. This enables you to step one foot in the car behind the seats to gain better access. 3. Reseat the layers back together if necessary, I used a small plastic trim remover from harbor freight or a plastic putty knife can be used to ensure the trim strips are fully seated together. 4. Make sure the plastic end clips are in place if your car has them, they are easy to drop, so be careful. 5. Locate a round rubber/plastic shielded electrical cable about 1\8" in diameter. I had plenty of black stereo cable. O-ring material might work as well. The cable will be used to add more retainment pressure between layers to keep them from pulling apart when the top is lowered or raised. 6. Cut the cable to a length so it butts up between the inside edges of the plastic end retainer clips. If the cable is too long it won't stay seated. 7. Starting at one end, insert the cable between the fold of the sound dampening material. 8. Continue to insert the cable by hand until you reach the other side. Trim the cable to length so it touches the retainer clip but does not extend any further. 9. Use your plastic tool to fully seat the cable. 10. All Finished! Easy right? My backup plan was to dispense a very small amount of black glue using my small wireless glue gun at each end and some in the center to hold the cable in place. I decided not to use glue to avoid bleeding thru on the fabric top. So far no need to use glue. I drop the top here in Alabama almost every day, no more problems since the described repair about a year ago.

101 - 104 of 104 Posts