Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there some run flat tires that can be fitted to my 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Classica?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The ride will be harsher and there will be more noise from the tires. The performance will also go down due to the stiff side walls of the tire.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had them on my BMW wagon and they were great. I have had a tire completely ripped off the rim hitting a pothole on the highway and the inflator kit was useless.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I think you will also find that the run flats are heavier....so even more weight at each corner. Horses for courses and all that, you pays your money....but just something for you to bear in mind maybe, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
47 Posts
My wife's Mini came with runflats. I never had them before, and I absolutely hate them. I bunny hop on turns all the time. I had to replace a control arm two weeks in after driving over some tracks. I hate not having a spare, but I wouldn't consider them for a slick handling car like ours.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe because ours is the larger Countryman S? Perhaps the roads are better maintained in the UK, but here in Miami, we both HATE the ride. They're fine on PERFECT roads, but I feel every imperfection and turning on bumps feels downright dangerous, and I'm a jeep guy! (Love my Spider, but can't sell my TJ)?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Maybe because ours is the larger Countryman S? Perhaps the roads are better maintained in the UK, but here in Miami, we both HATE the ride. They're fine on PERFECT roads, but I feel every imperfection and turning on bumps feels downright dangerous, and I'm a jeep guy! (Love my Spider, but can't sell my TJ)?
No, our roads are crap as well.....The vast majority of active forum Mini Members here seemed to agree with you and I on this one, I owed one of the last registered Mini Cooper S R53 September 2006 models which was the best of the bunch (July 2004-06) and loved that vehicle, however...when I first took ownership I felt, whilst spirited driving that it was harsh and did not respond as it should, I visited the forums, drove a Cooper S with non run flats and found the drive transformed for the better so changed mine out. Yes run flat see you home, but......hopefully..for the majority of your driving experience you want a fully responsive, handling chariot and in "my experience" a non run flat provides just that. The 124 Spider is very sensitive to any change as it's so light and responsive so it would be interesting to drive one on run flats in a comparison test, I wonder.......has anybody done so yet ? Cheers
ron

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I had the last of the"original" Minis..... View attachment 74866
Hello Arthur on this Beautiful, Sunny Sunday......Hatches battened down and eye of the storm due...........
Yes, that run out Mini was tempting, I was living very close to a dealership in Wiltshire at the time and did fancy one, but....I had previously owned a 1960, turn key, push button start Mini Austin 7 which quickly rusted and would die if you drove through a large puddle, until I fitted a plastic cover over the distributor that sat behind the grille ! So I never did own that one. The BMW R53 Mini though was an amazing piece of kit and the 2004-06 run out model with working gearbox was a treat. I did drive the original mid 1960's Cooper S with spare wheel on the boot lid in the same colours as yours, now that moved !
Back to Today and the 124 Spider though....At the price we paid for a Japanese technology, Italian Styled Sports car I believe we could not have done better with all models, be it Classica, Lusso or Abarth outstanding. I am surprised that Fiat sold the Abarth in the USA as a luxury model rather than a "Cosworth" or "Shelby" Dream Machine and only giving it 4 hp over the Lusso ? I am still experiencing drivers getting up close behind to see what I am driving and stopping at Petrol Stations, the Beach and car parks to explore and discuss, I expect many of our members are experiencing the same as very few people even know it exists whilst the MX 5 is known and Loved by many. Not sure the ND has gone down so well though and I wonder if, when the NE comes out it will resemble an updated 124 Spider. Cheers and Stay Safe
ron

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I had the last of the"original" Minis..... View attachment 74866
Nice! I still have Mini World magazine number 1. Always wanted a ‘new’ Cooper (Not the new-new, just a new-old). Had a 73 clubman. Those minilite wheels looked awesome on that car. time to watch The Italian Job, again (the Michael Caine one)...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Nice! I still have Mini World magazine number 1. Always wanted a ‘new’ Cooper (Not the new-new, just a new-old). Had a 73 clubman. Those minilite wheels looked awesome on that car. time to watch The Italian Job, again (the Michael Caine one)...
When you do, see if you can count the number of Fiats in the background scenes and how often the Fiat name is seen. It may surprise you. An example of product placement, it apparently was a condition of access to Turin that Fiat was prominently displayed just about everywhere.

The Miura in the opening shots was recently sold and is now undergoing restoration by Iain Tyrrell. He has videos on YouTube (Iain Tyrrell's Clasic Car Workshop) working on V12's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts