Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else find that the site is very sluggish on IE 11? the webpages take quite a while to resolve, and when typing replies I have to type slowly or it doesn't buffer. Seems o.k. on chrome but for various reasons prefer IE during the day. If any settings to smooth it out would love to know.

Mark

·
Registered
958 Posts
Google Chrome

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use and have them all, but for my desktop pc, due to interactions with other software, I need to keep IE11 open and not the others. Works fine on chrome but looking for a solution on IE

·
Registered
351 Posts
Is there a reason you can't run another browser simultaneously? Use IE11 where you have to, use another browser when you need better performance.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a reason you can't run another browser simultaneously? Use IE11 where you have to, use another browser when you need better performance.
yes unfortunately.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Biggest issue is the site is running vBulletin 3.8.8 (from looking at page source) and that's been LONG superseded by newer versions of vBulletin (4 series and now the 5 series). 3.8 gets patched by basically one person associated with vBulletin and does not get brought up to snuff to use the newer browser technologies. I've found issues with it on many sites that use it (especially when using latest IE11/Edge) and have almost totally quit visiting any one that uses vBulletin 3.x series due to that reason.
The current available version of the script is 3.8.10 BETA 1 (all current in use vBulletin scripts are classified as BETA since they are no longer officially supported).
Hopefully this sites code base has at least had the latest security patches applied to it.

On a related note, since it is an older version it is HIGHLY recommended that you make SURE that you do not use the same password here as anywhere else. vBulletin 3.x being one of the wider used scripts, it is also the one that is highest targeted towards hacking and with the minimal vB support it can be problematical keeping it secure.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I gave up on IE years ago. Still have it on my company laptop because it's a company standard. But I have Chrome on that as well because of the sites I have problems with on IE. I think they tried to make IE too clever and made it worse in the process.

·
Super Moderator
949 Posts
Anyone else find that the site is very sluggish on IE 11? the webpages take quite a while to resolve, and when typing replies I have to type slowly or it doesn't buffer. Seems o.k. on chrome but for various reasons prefer IE during the day. If any settings to smooth it out would love to know.

Mark
Mark, stick with Chrome. If possible, get on Win10, or Linux Something if you have an old computer.
But stop using IE11!

Best Regards
Pete

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mark, stick with Chrome. If possible, get on Win10, or Linux Something if you have an old computer.
But stop using IE11!
Modern scripts should work fine on all modern browsers. The issue isn't so much the browser, but the script being used.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But stop using IE11!

Best Regards
Pete
Thanks Pete, I am on win10 pro and use chrome as much as possible. Some of my core biz software is integrated with ie11 but avoiding it as much as I can. Thanks for all the tips. Mark

·
Administrator
401 Posts
Hey guys,

These issue are noted by our tech team.
Though there is not a solid fix for these just yet, as this seems to be something on IE11's end.

I know this sounds cheap, but the best fix for this right now is to avoid using IE11.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Richard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is the only site that 'crashes' when I use Windows 10 Edge/IE11. Constantly see the recover message after ~5 minutes or so. Strange that if this is an IE11 thing then why don't any of the countless other websites do this?

(Also typing this reply is painful - pauses, slow, stutter. Something is odd with this site.)

(Edit: just updated Win10 and also turned off Adobe flash and the site is much better.)

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Hey guys,

These issue are noted by our tech team.
Though there is not a solid fix for these just yet, as this seems to be something on IE11's end.

I know this sounds cheap, but the best fix for this right now is to avoid using IE11.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Richard.
I find it often best to avoid using IE period!

·
Administrator
401 Posts
IE11 is no longer supported by Microsoft, since they are now concentrating on Edge so problems like this with IE are going to start happening more and more. As you guys said, it's best to avoid IE.

Niall

1 - 17 of 17 Posts