Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day my fellow members

Recently I'm considering tracking and autocross. Also would love to be answering questions about my current build. I will be talking about the possible ways for the car to go and build evolution. Will be also recording and posting as I may start a possible youtube channel with DYI and lots of stuff about me and the car.

As you know the pandemic has done a lot of damage and recently here in Puerto Rico they opened up the track. I was going to do a private but though it was too much money just for testing ($250). Yesterday they announced the first autocross of this year and would like to go. This would be my first time at a event and would like to know facts and tips I should execute while running in the event. This event will be in Salinas Speedway, so you could look it up on youtube or google. The event will be July 12, so don't know if that is enough time to do some extra prepping for this event. Don't know if going all in for this event and add a front sway bar as that will be the way to go from what I have read. But Will be open to suggestions.

I would like to add that I'm a happy member eager to learn. Also fan of new pieces to try and eager to view some new ideas that I have been thinking for a while and will implement. I will keep this thread open like some of you here. Hope to get the best out of this.

Enjoy

·
Banned
3,050 Posts
Congrats! Looking forward to see you compete at last. Let me know when you want to try out my helmet.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I wouldn't do anything at all to your car. You can race it just as it is. Of course things like better brakes and/or pads and better tires will help, you don't need them your first time out. Go out and have fun. Talk to the other folks there. Usually other drivers will be happy to coach you along. Ask a fast guy or gal to let you ride with them and give you some pointers. Enjoy!

Reactions: zxtwou2

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't do anything at all to your car. You can race it just as it is. Of course things like better brakes and/or pads and better tires will help, you don't need them your first time out. Go out and have fun. Talk to the other folks there. Usually other drivers will be happy to coach you along. Ask a fast guy or gal to let you ride with them and give you some pointers. Enjoy!
Thanks for the tip. Let's see if they let me ride with somebody they are very strict over here about social distancing.

Also any tip regarding tire pressure?

·
Registered
2018 124 spider in bianco gelatno white. (stock for now)
7 Posts
seat time seat time seat time. talk to other members and when working the corners see how the fast guys are doing it. smooth is fast. go for a few events then my tips would be get separate set of wheels/tires just for auto crossing. you will eat up your daily driver tires if (The are a hard/3 season tire).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seat time seat time seat time. talk to other members and when working the corners see how the fast guys are doing it. smooth is fast. go for a few events then my tips would be get separate set of wheels/tires just for auto crossing. you will eat up your daily driver tires if (The are a hard/3 season tire).
Yeah, that is plan as soon as the other budgets I have are completed.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Let's see if they let me ride with somebody they are very strict over here about social distancing.

Also any tip regarding tire pressure?
Every track and race is different. It's also very hot where you are. My best guess for you would be to start with your hot tire pressure around 29-30 PSI. Adjust from there.

Reactions: Jesus Santa

·
Registered
534 Posts
Puerto Rico only has two seasons. Rain and not rain. But with both always humid. :D

Yeah, I would start the suggested tire pressures, which seems to universally work for our car. There will be difference in tire compounds but overall somewhere in that range.

Using the stock tires lets you burn those up until you are ready for something better. You might get over them in one track day though. I find they are quick to lose grip in the heat, which gets the rear end sliding around. That is actually fun but not really fast.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Every track and race is different. It's also very hot where you are. My best guess for you would be to start with your hot tire pressure around 29-30 PSI. Adjust from there.
Good to know about the PSI of the tires. I have to travel 1/2 hour to the track so that pressure would be on my already hot tires?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Puerto Rico only has two seasons. Rain and not rain. But with both always humid. :D

Yeah, I would start the suggested tire pressures, which seems to universally work for our car. There will be difference in tire compounds but overall somewhere in that range.

Using the stock tires lets you burn those up until you are ready for something better. You might get over them in one track day though. I find they are quick to lose grip in the heat, which gets the rear end sliding around. That is actually fun but not really fast.
I already have 30k and 6k on my
Kumho Ecsta 4X II KU22, these tires are good, great grip(have done some mountain trailing) so maybe yeah a little wear after running them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let's see how it goes I'm very exited about that day. Anything else I should worry about? brake lines, spark plugs(still on OEM), trans oil, DOT4 Fluid(using oem fluid)?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Always use better fluid and good pads. And decent tires. When people say take a stock car, the assumption is you won't go fast enough to burn through parts. My experience is when you are new you are heavier on the brakes as you use them early and more often.

Flush the brakes with good fluid, change the oil, make sure you still have decent tire tread and brake pad material, and check your plugs. The stock plugs are the best plugs on this car as long as they are in good condition. Also torque your wheels. These are the required for every track day.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Always use better fluid and good pads. And decent tires. When people say take a stock car, the assumption is you won't go fast enough to burn through parts. My experience is when you are new you are heavier on the brakes as you use them early and more often.

Flush the brakes with good fluid, change the oil, make sure you still have decent tire tread and brake pad material, and check your plugs. The stock plugs are the best plugs on this car as long as they are in good condition. Also torque your wheels. These are the required for every track day.
Thanks for the tips. Will check everything the 11th. I was asking about the plugs because I'm thinking about buying some new sparks to have as ICE.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Good to know about the PSI of the tires. I have to travel 1/2 hour to the track so that pressure would be on my already hot tires?
Some but not like racing around a track will do. Autocross races are really short so by the time your tires start getting hot the race is over. If you are pushing the nose in the corners try taking a little air out of the front or putting some into the rear. If the back end is kicking out do the opposite. Experiment with it. Don't make big changes. If you are like I was (and most rookies really), you'll probably be stabbing the gas pedal and brakes too much your first few times around. You'll get smoother.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some but not like racing around a track will do. Autocross races are really short so by the time your tires start getting hot the race is over. If you are pushing the nose in the corners try taking a little air out of the front or putting some into the rear. If the back end is kicking out do the opposite. Experiment with it. Don't make big changes. If you are like I was (and most rookies really), you'll probably be stabbing the gas pedal and brakes too much your first few times around. You'll get smoother.
Great advise, l been getting that from people, that I will hit the brakes a lot. Let's see. so right now my prepping will be tire pressure. Been thinking about buying the sway bars for the event but don't want to make big changes for the event

·
Registered
98 Posts
easy button on pressures: throw some chalk on your tires, see if they are rolling over onto the sidewall. If they are, add pressure, if they are not remove pressure.

Most OEM tires will add pressure. I haven't auto-crossed on the stock tires, but the extreme performance summer variants that I do autocross on have a considerably stiffer sidewall than oem offerings.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
easy button on pressures: throw some chalk on your tires, see if they are rolling over onto the sidewall. If they are, add pressure, if they are not remove pressure.

Most OEM tires will add pressure. I haven't auto-crossed on the stock tires, but the extreme performance summer variants that I do autocross on have a considerably stiffer sidewall than oem offerings.
I wouldn't consider my tires OEM. As I changed the yokohama that came with the car for Kumho Ecsta 4X II KU22. But will take the tip. You are right about the sidewall don't need that as my car is also my daily.

Reactions: mr20turbo
1 - 17 of 17 Posts