Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Sat Nav map update issue.

3K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  CDPond 
#1 ·
Now then folks, I purchased an updated map for Europe after following a link on a post on here and buying from AliExpress. The card is compatible with the Mx5 so I assumed all would be good.
However, after swapping the sd card and powering u, the system is saying I don't have navigation installed and to consult with a dealer. There are some Lat and Longs along the bottom of the screen. I then put the original sd card back I in and get the same screen. I have tried the Nav/mute reset but to no avail.
Have I missed something or have I buggered it up?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
If the card is for a Mazda, it will not work in your car. These cards do a VIN check and the Mazda one will want a Mazda VIN. The lat/long numbers you are seeing are part of the compass display. The system will display the compass if it doesn’t see a valid SD card inserted.

Reactions: CDPond and Aldo
#6 ·
OK, I cleaned the contacts on the Fiat (original) sd card and refitted. Sat Nav came back on. There was a small delay while it loaded. Turned off head unit, cleaned the Mazda (Aliexpress) sd card, inserted it and the Sat Nav worked. It can on straight away. All my history and saved points were still there. How do I determine what version I am running. Had a fly around the menus but couldn't see anything.

#8 ·
Interesting that a card advertised as mx5 compatible worked. Good that it did though.

#9 ·
I shall let you know tomorrow. I'll leave my car overnight and drive it to work in the morning (18 miles) That'll give it a chance to shutdown fully and fire up again. On my way to work are some newish roads which were not showing on my original Mazda sd card.

#12 ·
Good plan.... and anyone with an OEM or functional nav card really needs to invest $10 to create a copy of it and keep it tucked away as your backup plan if one fails. I have my OEM card, and two copies. Each time an update gets released, I update all three. The OEM gets tucked away in my study. One copy goes in the nav card slot in the car, and the other copy sits in the bottom of the centre console. So even if I experience a card failure when on a road trip, I've got a backup ready to pop in. It's the best and least expensive option to cover your bases. And as @Arthur noted, buying the 3 year update package is the best value proposition for ongoing content.

Reactions: AnClar
#14 ·
Since we're playing cards here...I'll see your OEM and raise you 2 backups! :ROFLMAO: Excellent advice on how to be sure to have copies of your OEM card!

#15 ·
I never bothered to update my card. That's the least intuitive, most cumbersome system I've ever seen and my least favorite thing about the car.

That said, I usually drive locally and if I need directions it's google maps for me. No need for me to spend any money.

#17 ·
Agreed. I've run nav systems in five vehicles now, as well as a Garmin portable unit, and they're all different. Once you make a modest amount of effort to learn how to use each one, they work well. They're only cumbersome if you don't learn how to use them, and that includes what can be delivered via a smartphone. The biggest challenge being if and for how long the updates can be acquired for content. So far, (with the exception of the brief battle we had with NaviExtras even recognizing our cards as something they supported), we've been well serviced with two updates per year. Going on 7 years and still content being made for them. I'm happy with that. Come April, when I anticipate the next update will be available, I'll need to spring for another 3 year access plan.

I'll admit I was almost shocked when another forum member noted that he couldn't acquire updates for his father's Jeep/Dodge/RAM vehicle, and now you've said you can't get them for your Grand Cherokee... a three year old vehicle. That's bordering on class action lawsuit territory. Something is amiss at Chrysler, and I wonder how much of that might be associated with their buy out/merger and the Stellantis group?

#20 ·
Even with our own BELOVED little SPYDERS, it all comes down to the ALMIGHTY FREAKIN DOLLAR for those spicey managers...(some)they do NOT CARE about loyalty or building a relationship, I have been trying just that with my local Fiat of Melbourne,FL., he has been the only one in 3 years to EVER pull up/down her panties and I would like to keep it that way. AND, I know this is all in MY HUMBLED OPINION and very likely to be wrong..There are MANY MANY MANY respectable technicians that know what the word "NO" means....

#21 ·
Hate to break it to you, but you own a SPIDER. :)

#27 ·
Always good to see you join in with your latest attempt at displaying some degree of wit. Sadly, another failure. But keep trying. We're here to support your dreams. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.