Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a huge fan of how the shark fin antenna on the trunk of my lusso looks, and I don't have plans to ever get satellite radio. Has anyone ever tried removing it?

I assume there's a hole (or holes) underneath... and getting some kind of plug for them would probably look worse. I suppose swapping out a classica trunk of the same color might work, but the cost and hassle seem like a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Personally, I'm a huge fan of sat radio and have used it for well over a decade. That said, like pretty much anything, it's a personal choice, so if you're not keen on it. That's your decision to make and I fully respect it.

Aestetically, it doesn't bother me, because the same size and shape antenna is mounted on so many vehicles in North America now. Try to think of any new vehicle sold here now that doesn't come Sat Radio ready? I just don't even notice it. But I get it. If it's something that annoys you, once you've seen it, it can't be unseen. Like the seam that joins the front fender and the front fascia/bumper section on the car.

I lean towards Arthur's first recommendation. Source a replacement trunk lid and paint it to match your vehicle. Then tuck the OEM lid somewhere that can easily be reinstalled before resale.

OR....

Alternately, you could remove the antenna from the trunk and replace it with a different one that sits under the roof in the rear of the vehicle. The regular antenna sold with Sat Radio kits is a small square think about an inch and a half square and half an inch thick. It doesn't have to be sitting on the top of the trunk lid, it just needs to be exposed to signal and facing up somewhere on the upper part of the vehicle. Some installers mount them inside the upper part of the dash in the front of the vehicle. So those are options you could pursue that would still leave the vehicle sat radio ready for when you choose to resell it. That's something you can easily do yourself, or just have a chat with a local radio. In fact, if you speak with a sat radio installer, they likely have more than a few spare antennas sitting around in a drawer that they'd be able to give you.

Now, the good news. It just requires six steps to remove the shark fin. The bad news is that you can't use it to make soup. :)
1. Like anything electrically related, disconnect the negative connection on your battery
2. Remove the lid liner on the underside of the trunk lid.
3. Disconnect the antenna feed (shown as "2" in the image below")
4. Remove the nut (shown as "1" in the image below).
5. Replace your trunk lid liner
6. Reconnect your negative battery cable

Then all that's left is for you to figure out how you want to fill the bolt hole that holds the antenna onto the trunk lid.

Of course if you plan on owning the vehicle till it rusts back into Mother Earth, then the point I've made is completely moot.

·
Registered
523 Posts
It provides extra stability at 130 mph. ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of how the shark fin antenna on the trunk of my lusso looks, and I don't have plans to ever get satellite radio. Has anyone ever tried removing it?

I assume there's a hole (or holes) underneath... and getting some kind of plug for them would probably look worse. I suppose swapping out a classica trunk of the same color might work, but the cost and hassle seem like a lot.
Don’t have the hole welded shut. I had this done on my first spider. Heat caused dimples in the surrounding area. It didn’t look good.

Dan

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have a black trunk lidwith a red antenna, so what do I know?

as noted above, it’s simple to remove. And, again, as @depotdan noted, welding that thin sheet will not result in a clean look. If I was going to remove it, I’d use a thin plate underneath, epoxied in place, then the dimple filled. Top that off with a wrap.

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all - really appreciate the ideas, and especially the removal guide. I'll probably just live with it for now, but keep an eye out if a good opportunity comes up to source a trunk lid without the hole.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts