Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Lusso with Nav/Bose...
SD card was already installed, but NO Nav. When car first starts a Mazda symbol appears ( I found that odd). I have read that if the Mazda symbol appears it's possible the previous owner updated the software to work with Apple and Droid play.
So the question(s): How can I tell what's really installed?
Is there a SD/software guru willing/able to help me with both seeing what I got and help with a few tweaks. I'm willing to compensate for their time.
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. No compensation required.... we're here to help !!! So first of all, when you say "No Nav" what do you see on the screen when you select the "Nav" mode ? Secondly, what software revision is your car on (this can be found in the "Settings" menu and will appear in the format " xx.xxxx.xx " ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum. No compensation required.... we're here to help !!! So first of all, when you say "No Nav" what do you see on the screen when you select the "Nav" mode ? Secondly, what software revision is your car on (this can be found in the "Settings" menu and will appear in the format " xx.xxxx.xx " ?
When NAV is selected all I see is the compass and the longitude, latitude and elevation ... OS Ver: 74.00.230 NA N Fail Safe Ver 74.00.230

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When NAV is selected all I see is the compass and the longitude, latitude and elevation ... OS Ver: 74.00.230 NA N Fail Safe Ver 74.00.230

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
OK. So 74.00.230 is a ~May 2021 revision the for Mazda NA market. Not something I know about or recommend for our Fiats. To answer your questions I'll need to hand over to those that know !!! Regarding only seeing the compass view, this would suggest faulty SD card (or dirty contacts ?).... unless the SD card reader over-ridden by that OS revision level and/or whatever other mods have been installed. Hang on in there.... someone will be along very soon to advise further.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,411 Posts
I thought that if the head unit firmware was upgraded (Mazda Logo gives it away) that the built in Nav no longer works and you would have to use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay from that point on or flash it back to the current OEM firmware.

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
634 Posts
v74.00.230 is the very latest Mazda release. It is not tweakable or modifiable according to the folks on the Mazda forums. I wouldn’t have recommended this version be installed on any Fiat. I don’t have, and I don’t know whether anyone here has any experience with this version when installed on a Fiat. The problem you’ve got with the Nav may not be fixable either. There is a tweak to restore the Nav functionality but it only works if you can tweak, which means you'd have to be able to downgrade to an earlier software version. The CMU reads the VIN number and in this case it is expecting a Mazda VIN. Since the VIN is a Fiat, Nav startup will not work. I’m not even certain that v74.00.230 can be downgraded once installed. Check on the Audio forums on Mazda3Revolution web site. I've asked one of my contacts on the Mazda forums whether or not v74.00.230 can be downgraded...I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

Reactions: mtnghost

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
634 Posts
I thought that if the head unit firmware was upgraded (Mazda Logo gives it away) that the built in Nav no longer works and you would have to use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay from that point on or flash it back to the current OEM firmware.
We have a tweak to restore factory nav on Mazda software v70.00.100, but not on any of the newer Mazda versions where they started locking down the software.

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
634 Posts
Here's what my contact over at the Mazda forum told me:

"In my bench tests (not in the car), I was able to update to 74.00.230 NA and later able to downgrade from 74.00.230 NA to a lower version, just like I did the update... so no serial hack necessary. Just do the downgrade, as you did the update.
Other than that I do not know of any possibility to enable a downgrade, if someone is stuck at a certain firmware version.
Other option: Buy a used CMU and swap CMUs".

·
Registered
298 Posts
Was this a private purchase, or from a Fiat dealer? If a dealer, I would be inclined to make it their problem

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
I believe if you can obtain the lower version as the Mazda forum member suggested it will read and likely it will allow a downgrade. Working at the dealer everyone just wants the latest so I have no personal experience with this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This truly is a bit confusing. The car was purchased from a Fiat dealership, but after speaking to them it appears they have no idea what they are doing.
“IF” the Mazda logo is showing and someone (not me) updated the software to 74.00.230….Does that mean I now have Android and Apple car play? Does that mean I have a better, or more useful version? Everything works fine except NO NAV… I really do not care about the opening logo.
-
I also read on “21st Century fiat forum” that all I have to do is purchase from MOPAR Part # 68366118AA (SD card) and the NAV will just open right up….So what do you suggest I do next? I obviously want it to work as its meant to, but also like the idea of having it upgraded, if there is a benefit.
I welcome any and all advise.

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
634 Posts
This truly is a bit confusing. The car was purchased from a Fiat dealership, but after speaking to them it appears they have no idea what they are doing.
“IF” the Mazda logo is showing and someone (not me) updated the software to 74.00.230….Does that mean I now have Android and Apple car play? Does that mean I have a better, or more useful version? Everything works fine except NO NAV… I really do not care about the opening logo.
-
I also read on “21st Century fiat forum” that all I have to do is purchase from MOPAR Part # 68366118AA (SD card) and the NAV will just open right up….So what do you suggest I do next? I obviously want it to work as its meant to, but also like the idea of having it upgraded, if there is a benefit.
I welcome any and all advise.
What @ameridan is referring to in that article on 21st century Fiat is if you have stock Fiat software, meaning Fiat software v56.xx.xx or v59.xx.xx and no SD card with your car, you could buy a new card and just inserting that card would activate Nav. You are in a completely different situation. At some time somebody updated your car’s software with Mazda version 74.00,230. Because Mazda started locking down their software beginning with v59, and totally locking it down by v74, unless you can do a downgrade to v.70, which is beyond my expertise to do, adding a new SD card will not activate the factory Nav. That’s because as I said in an earlier post, the system is expecting to see a Mazda VIN when it checks. Since you have a Fiat VIN the Nav will not start up. In earlier versions of Mazda software up to v70.00.100, there is a fix to reactivate the factory Nav. Anything higher than that and the fix cannot be applied. I updated my software years ago to v70.00.100 which many of us here also did, and after applying the fix, my factory Nav works fine. So as far as I’m aware, unless you can find a way to downgrade your software to v70.00.100, you will not be able to reactivate your factory Nav.

As far as AA/CarPlay, look at your USB ports. If the top port has a little iPhone icon next to it, all you should have to do is to plug your phone into that top USB port and AA/CarPlay should start up. If there is no phone icon by the top port, you woul need to get and install a new upgraded USB hub and cables. That’would be doable if whoever updated your software did not also upgrade the USB hub.

To be honest, I’d tell the dealer that somebody modified your software to a version that should be on a Mazda, and it’s made the factory Nav inoperative. If you can get them to swap your CMU for one intended for a Fiat, with Fiat software, then they or you would be able to reactivate your Nav. AA/CarPlay might then be an option for you, as a separate process, but that’s a whole other story.

Reactions: CDPond

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
If it were my car, and I bought it from a Fiat dealer, and it came with manufacturers /dealers warrenty, then I would insist on the correct software/firmware be re-installed i.e. Fiat not Mazda. This is because it is a Fiat and not a Mazda. If they cannot then I would reject the car. Who knows who did what and when to the car before you purchased it .... can you trust that whatever was done was done "correctly". In addition, the car was sold to you with Navigation... which it clearly doesn’t have at the moment. Good Luck 👍

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
I would do the above, another option is to just use the CarPlay AA navigation functions from your phone. Personally I think it’s a better interface but then you drain the battery of your phone quickly so that’s a negative. Just take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. They charge 2k for the navigation and sound package so you should have navigation!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AnClar, I tried the 2 USB ports to see if the USB hubs were upgraded, I do not think they were...I can play music via USB/with cord, but there is no place to display my cell (Samsung) apps on the screen. I will work with the dealership to try to get this corrected. Thanks for your input and help.

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
AnClar, I tried the 2 USB ports to see if the USB hubs were upgraded, I do not think they were...I can play music via USB/with cord, but there is no place to display my cell (Samsung) apps on the screen. I will work with the dealership to try to get this corrected. Thanks for your input and help.
So your upper USB port had a phone icon beside it? If not, then you don't have an upgraded USB hub, and without that, no AA/ACP.

For sure this is an issue your dealer needs to fix, and don't let them get away with trying to give you some sort of reimbursement so that you ignore the problem. In it's current state, you'll have a problem reselling the car if you later choose to do so. They need to make this right for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is NO phone icon next to either usb port. This just keep getting more and more confusing. My software Ver: is 74.00.230 NA N. If I had the correct USB Port would I have AA/Apple Play? Did it come off the line with Ver 74.00? If not, at some point the software version most have been updated to 74. The previous owner didn't update the software and the dealership said they didn't either...WTF...This is enough to make your head spin.
From what I am reading I need to find someone to DOWNGRADE my version to .70 (if I want tweaks) or 59. if I don't.
Right????

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
634 Posts
First off, yes…if you get the upgrade kit, which is the new hub/cables kit that should be all you need for AA/CarPlay. As far as v74, it would not have come factory installed on a Fiat Spider. The last Fiat branded soffware was v59. So someone installed that software after the fact, whatever they say. The only other possibility was that the CMU in your car is not the original and may have been installed as a replacement unit. If it was a new unit, it may have come pre-loaded with the new Mazda software. There’s no real way to prove whether the CMU was changed out at some point.

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
There is NO phone icon next to either usb port. This just keep getting more and more confusing. My software Ver: is 74.00.230 NA N. If I had the correct USB Port would I have AA/Apple Play? Did it come off the line with Ver 74.00? If not, at some point the software version most have been updated to 74. The previous owner didn't update the software and the dealership said they didn't either...WTF...This is enough to make your head spin.
From what I am reading I need to find someone to DOWNGRADE my version to .70 (if I want tweaks) or 59. if I don't.
Right????
You've got yourself a bit of a conundrum, and it doesn't help that you're being deceived by either the prior owner or the dealership. Or are you the third owner? There's something really fishy going on with your system, and it smells fraudulent. Well, maybe not fraudulent, but certainly deceitful. My suspicion is that a prior owner didn't know what they were doing, f'd up, and installed a firmware update that they shouldn't have. Now you have the problem that you were sold a car with navigation that doesn't work as a result of that buggered up firmware update.

You have no phone icon beside your USB port, so you have an original (not upgraded) USB hub. I would not use the term "correct USB port", as the upgraded version is not what would have come with the car from the factory. That means, with an OEM USB hub,
a) the port won't generate enough amps to charge your phone
b) you can use the port to connect a USB stick that you've loaded with music (MP3s)
c) if you want to be able to charge your phone, or eventually have access to Carply or Android Auto, you will need to replace your USB hub. Right now you can use it to play music from USB sticks.

As AnClar noted, NO Fiat 124 Spider left the factory with firmware above v59. None. Additionally, no Fiat OEM head unit would be displaying a Mazda boot up screen. That means,
a) someone previously installed a Mazda update to your head unit, and
b) the head unit itself may or may not have been replaced
c) either the previous owner, or the dealer is lying to you. Period. Fiat never installed that version of firmware, and they sure as hell wouldn't have a Fiat leaving the assembly line running a Mazda boot up screen.
d) to install tweaks, and/or to use your OEM navigation system, the firmware needs to be downgraded... or the head unit needs to be replaced with one that has the OEM Fiat firmware installed on it

The path to resolution, if you attempt to downgrade your firmware, is tricky and potentially not even possible. But, this should not be your problem. The dealership needs to fix this. Let them choose the way they want to do it, but be clear with them that they need to give you a car with the Fiat OEM headunit and firmware version running on it. Period.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be demanding the dealership restore the head unit to OEM state, and if they refuse to do that, return the car. At least in the US you have some buyer protection to assist you in that regard. What they've sold you is defective, and that's not your fault. It's all on them. You may need to engage Fiat Cares US to get involved in this as well, as they may to push the dealer to "do the honorable thing" and fix your vehicle. There's no reason at all why you should have to take on the challenge of fixing a problem with something they sold you.

I wish you success in getting this resolved, as no one deserves to be going through what you're dealing with now. The Spider is an incredible little car, and you deserve to possess one in proper working order.

Reactions: AnClar
1 - 20 of 26 Posts