Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jeep was in the shop for windshield and frame repairs after catching a large chunk of road that's now a pothole.

Thus, I was left with no choice in today's snow...

Pictures after a hit with the snow brush.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did you at least have fun out there?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you at least have fun out there?
Nope...on untreated roads it was pretty much undrivable. As soon as the clutch was out, the rear wheels started spinning. I would have very strongly preferred the jeep today.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I have no idea how you got it moving at all in the snow...

(Un)luckily I'm in the process of doing a botch job to get mine working, again.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You're insane! lol. I'm planning on daily driving mine in Wisconsin, even in the winter. With a set of snow tires it'll do just fine thanks to the LSD. I got a $30/mo unlimited touchless car wash deal at a gas station by my house, so I should be able to keep it clean. I've been driving Miatas in the winter for the past few years without a problem. It's actually a blast.

·
Registered
875 Posts
You're insane! lol. I'm planning on daily driving mine in Wisconsin, even in the winter. With a set of snow tires it'll do just fine thanks to the LSD. I got a $30/mo unlimited touchless car wash deal at a gas station by my house, so I should be able to keep it clean. I've been driving Miatas in the winter for the past few years without a problem. It's actually a blast.
A great way to learn car control at slow speeds with snow covered roads...or parking lots...safety first....nice to learn how the car will react under different inputs...steering/brakes/throttle...it all translates to the same dynamics in the dry, albeit at much higher speeds....

·
Registered
189 Posts
I found the 124 to be a great snow car... with traction control off, it's incredibly easy to do controlled oversteer and it tracks well with light throttle... the big issue I had was with hills - the lack of LSD on the Classica combined with an overly-excited hill holder made for a difficult time when climbing a steep grade. Throw on some good dedicated snow tires and this would be a great winter commute.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A great way to learn car control at slow speeds with snow covered roads...or parking lots...safety first....nice to learn how the car will react under different inputs...steering/brakes/throttle...it all translates to the same dynamics in the dry, albeit at much higher speeds....
This is absolutely true. One can learn to feel when a tail end is about to step out.
I had many "car control lessons" in my RWD manual pickup truck growing up...and only one of them ended in a ditch.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You took a snow brush to your Abarth? Oh my. o_O

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Jeep was in the shop for windshield and frame repairs after catching a large chunk of road that's now a pothole.

Thus, I was left with no choice in today's snow...

Pictures after a hit with the snow brush.
Was the car telling you something after you whacked it with the snow brush? To the bottom left of the badge, it looks like it's saying F U. lol

Reactions: mikey and mtnghost

·
Registered
4 Posts
Grave digging this thread, but in winter of 2018 my other car was totaled in an accident (not my fault) and I made the wrong decision to pull the Spider out of storage instead of buying a car right away. Luckily I was working from home that winter and live within walking distance of many stores and restaurants so I rarely had to drive it. But I can say it handles terribly in the snow without snow tires. Any time I I had to drive it I also stopped at the car wash on the way home!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Thankful for how good my Giulia is in the snow. I didn't even put on its winter tires this year, because working from home meant going out when I was ready rather than when I had to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts