Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an answer to my question, but it's not the answer I want- http://www.124spider.org/forum/9-20...-discussion-forum/3329-seat-belt-comfort.html

I can't see how it is possible, but does anyone have an idea, for this car or from any other car with the similar seat belt routing/anchoring, of how to get the seat belt to move it's position across my upper body farther to the left so it isn't routed over the top of my collarbone with its edge chewing into the base of my neck? I just want to move the belt route to the left, about one inch. (Same for the passenger belt, but to the right.)

I would rather have the belt route moved than just have a cushion or pad sitting in the same position, likely putting more pressure against my neck.

Short of a new routing bracket at the top corners of the seats that would move the belt position out-bound, I can't think of anything else. But there are some clever folks here who maybe have an idea.

Fixed hard top cars usually have a vertically adjustable belt bracket on the door pillar, why couldn't they have incorporated something like this into the seat?

Thanks,
Steve.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Here is an answer to my question, but it's not the answer I want- http://www.124spider.org/forum/9-20...-discussion-forum/3329-seat-belt-comfort.html

I can't see how it is possible, but does anyone have an idea, for this car or from any other car with the similar seat belt routing/anchoring, of how to get the seat belt to move it's position across my upper body farther to the left so it isn't routed over the top of my collarbone with its edge chewing into the base of my neck? I just want to move the belt route to the left, about one inch. (Same for the passenger belt, but to the right.)

I would rather have the belt route moved than just have a cushion or pad sitting in the same position, likely putting more pressure against my neck.

Short of a new routing bracket at the top corners of the seats that would move the belt position out-bound, I can't think of anything else. But there are some clever folks here who maybe have an idea.

Fixed hard top cars usually have a vertically adjustable belt bracket on the door pillar, why couldn't they have incorporated something like this into the seat?

Thanks,
Steve.
Steve, I bought some of those Fiat logo pads that go over the belt - about 8 inches long or so, I guess, and they do make a big difference in comfort. I'm 6'2" and the belts were annoying me so they were worth it - maybe 20 bucks or so. And the red lettering pops a bit on the interior. By the way, my Bimmer convertible had very similar seatbelt mounts.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve, I bought some of those Fiat logo pads that go over the belt - about 8 inches long or so, I guess, and they do make a big difference in comfort. I'm 6'2" and the belts were annoying me so they were worth it - maybe 20 bucks or so. And the red lettering pops a bit on the interior. By the way, my Bimmer convertible had very similar seatbelt mounts.
Okay, thanks. I didn't have much hope for another answer, the factory only gives the one route for the belt to run. I'll look into belt pads.

Steve.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same issue. I hate where the seatbelt hits. I'm constantly readjusting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ordered these. They haven't come in yet so I have no idea if they'll work.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Hi Steve....Surprised to read problems around seatbelts. I have for many years now done as "Kpoling" and bought the seat belt shoulder protectors, manufacturers sell them $$$$££££, but so do ebay and amazon, same quality usually and work well. I only ever pay around £12.00 a pair for decent ones and have never had a problem, in fact, I wouldn't want to drive without them fitted. Cheers
ron

·
Registered
460 Posts
I bought these. Matches the Abarth leather and stitching about as closely as one can hope.

Reactions: CDPond and murix

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
My idea is to remove the loop, use a piece of suitable material (like 3/8" thick black plastic) shape it nicely and screw it down where the loop went, then drill and tap that to mount the loop whatever distance you need further outboard to eliminate the neck rub.

Haven't tried it yet, but it's on the list

·
Registered
18 Posts
My idea is to remove the loop, use a piece of suitable material (like 3/8" thick black plastic) shape it nicely and screw it down where the loop went, then drill and tap that to mount the loop whatever distance you need further outboard to eliminate the neck rub.

Haven't tried it yet, but it's on the list
Please post pics when you try it.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I bought these. Matches the Abarth leather and stitching about as closely as one can hope.
I purchased a couple of sets of these from eBay a couple of years ago, and when I checked there's got to be twenty of more folks selling them. Inexpensive, but they feel pretty decent, as I'm a tall guy too and the stock strap really abrades my neck. These fix that problem. Maybe cheesy because of the Abarth branding, but hey, that's what I own... it works, and at the car meets they seem to go over well. Here's an example of a set for sale (the round button is not included, and I have no idea why they all show a picture of it along with the two seat belt pads). I didn't buy from this seller, but it's all the same product, just different folks peddling it.
Abarth Seat Belt Pads - eBay

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, looky there... 3 years later, a possible solution!

Thanks,
Steve.

Reactions: Bob T and Brexit !

·
Registered
2,756 Posts

Thanks,
Steve.
Well I'll be.....Lemmings, and I am one too. Hope your shoulder is better now Steve 👌

·
Registered
542 Posts

Thanks,
Steve.
Yup ordered. This is a huge problem for my wife. The pads help, but these look great.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My only concern for that clip device is how does it, and the belt, react in an accident? The clip looks to use some shoulder belt slack to relocate the intersection of the shoulder section and the lap section. What happens to the clip, and that slack, in an accident when the belt retractor locks tension against the body, the body slams forward violently at several G's of force, but the plastic clip fails and allows that slack to be introduced into the belt length? I like the idea during normal driving conditions but I'm not confident during an emergency situation.

"SAFETY TESTED for men, women, and children." Uh-huh.

What I've adopted is to always be wearing collared clothing (not just a t-shirt), the collar of the shirt or jacket buffers the seat belt against the base of my neck.

Steve.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just get a pair of pads like the ones I linked earlier. They don't chafe your neck, nor do they compromise the functionality of the belt in an accident.

Reactions: Brexit !
1 - 18 of 18 Posts