Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I brought my car in about three weeks ago, as my seat belt retractors are not retracting. Unless I literally feed the belts back in by hand, they will not retract. If I'm not careful, the belts get caught in the doors. The service manager acknowledged the problem, which is apparently a known issue and a warranty item on our Spiders. He told me the parts had to be ordered and would take about two to three weeks to come in. I called yesterday to check and was told that the retractors are on "extreme, extended" backorder. They had no idea when the parts might come in. Anyone else stuck in the same boat? I'm tempted to see if I can source the parts separately, have the dealership pay for and install them then bill FCA for the repair. Before I go that route though, I'd want some assurance (in writing) that FCA would cover the repair that way, and that if I sourced the parts, they would be the new, improved version.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Given that so much of our interior is actually Mazda, I'm wondering if the Mazda retractors would be an exact fit.... and perhaps not only easier to source, but like most other Mazda components, far less expense that the MOPAR branded versions.

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Given that so much of our interior is actually Mazda, I'm wondering if the Mazda retractors would be an exact fit.... and perhaps not only easier to source, but like most other Mazda components, far less expense that the MOPAR branded versions.
Great thought. Hadn’t thought that way because it’s a warranty item. I’ll look into it, thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 Abarth
16 Posts
So I brought my car in about three weeks ago, as my seat belt retractors are not retracting. Unless I literally feed the belts back in by hand, they will not retract. If I'm not careful, the belts get caught in the doors. The service manager acknowledged the problem, which is apparently a known issue and a warranty item on our Spiders. He told me the parts had to be ordered and would take about two to three weeks to come in. I called yesterday to check and was told that the retractors are on "extreme, extended" backorder. They had no idea when the parts might come in. Anyone else stuck in the same boat? I'm tempted to see if I can source the parts separately, have the dealership pay for and install them then bill FCA for the repair. Before I go that route though, I'd want some assurance (in writing) that FCA would cover the repair that way, and that if I sourced the parts, they would be the new, improved version.
I’m in the same boat. Took my car in a few weeks ago for the seatbelts and a delaminating infotainment screen (both known issues). I called for an update last week (which was 3 weeks) and they told me the screen was in, but the seatbelt retractors are on backorder and they don’t know when they’ll be in. Taking the car in for the screen tomorrow, and I guess I’m at their mercy until the seatbelt stuff comes in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m in the same boat. Took my car in a few weeks ago for the seatbelts and a delaminating infotainment screen (both known issues). I called for an update last week (which was 3 weeks) and they told me the screen was in, but the seatbelt retractors are on backorder and they don’t know when they’ll be in. Taking the car in for the screen tomorrow, and I guess I’m at their mercy until the seatbelt stuff comes in.
Mine have been on back order for a few months

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the drivers seat belt replaced under warranty for not retracting nicely. The new one was not much better.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My dealer ordered by new retractors yesterday... was told 45 days for drivers side plus an extra 10 days for passenger side. Don’t have a great deal of confidence in the timeline. They also ordered me a 3rd top

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem. took my car in a month ago and they said yesterday there are none in the US. Crazy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts