Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a prospective new owner, I have a test drive booked in this week.

Does anyone find they have issues with comfort on long drives? My current car is comfortable for about the first hour and then after that I find I get discomfort in my lower back. Just wanted to see what other people's experiences were with the Abarth. Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the Abarth with the regular (not recaro) seats. The seats are different. They dont have traditional springs. They have a mesh support sort of like a hammock and not much padding. They will feel different from most other cars you have sat in. However, my wife and I just completed a 3 week, 4500 mile road trip with a few 10 hour days and neither of us had any complaints about the comfort. They could have a bit more lumbar support but it wasn't too bad. For the record I am 5' 11", and 200lbs.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Regular leather non-Recaro seats here too, and they seem to be just fine...but the longest I've spent in them in one stint is 3 hours

·
Registered
726 Posts
I recently drove 6.5 hours without lower back pain. I'd experience discomfort after 2 hours in my 2010 Vette, even though it had electronically adjustable lumbar support.

The base seats in the 124 are amazing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am not that big but still had trouble with the side bolsters digging into my side ribs. Had an auto upholstery shop take out that very thin foam sheet on the back which basically just covers the "hammock", then add in a 1 1/4" thick foam pad. Very quick job since the leather covers are just zippered on. Perfect!

·
Registered
64 Posts
For me, it's the most comfortable car I've ever owned. My first drive was 12 hours bringing it home from Houston. I've done that drive many times and it usually wrecks me. I got out of the 124 feeling great!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just made the 8 hour drive from Houston to Cushing OK and I was blown away by how little any part of me hurt after sitting in the Recaros for that long. For some perspective I had a Juke before this and at one point was making the 7 hour commutes between Houston and Pascagoula MS every week, this drive was more comfortable than any of them by leaps and bounds. I'm 6' and 205lbs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 124 classica with regular seats. Recently my husband (5'10 190) and myself (5'4 150) drove from Phoenix to Vegas and back for a quick weekend trip. I have had back surgery and was a little concerned. Surprisingly it was a very comfortable, and fun trip. The only thing that I noticed is that some of the roads were loud at 90 MPH. Everything else was a great, comfortable ride! Have fun!!!!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'll concur on the comfort level (Abarth leather seats, 5'11" 205ish). They feel like they should be uncomfortable on a long ride, but on the contrary. They do hold you quite firmly. I've driven 7 hours (with stops for gas and snacks) and comfort was not a problem.

(Getting in and out takes a bit of practice, however, to avoid looking like a retarted duck).

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm 6'2", have the Lusso - leather seats. I drive 2 and 3 hours at a time very frequently - sometimes double that - and always feel just fine when I arrive. Very happy with the seats.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just drove 6 hours in mine. I had some issues with my Jetta on long drives and some upper leg pain, but nothing with the 124. I am 5'8" and 220. I actually prefer to drive barefoot with the 124, other than work , of course. I usually just bring slaps and keep them under the front seat.

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
While they don't have lumber support, I actually find them very comfortable on longer drives. We have quite a few members taking long road trips with these across the US and Europe, and not one of them has complained of seat comfort. I'm rather impressed.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hi, I'm a prospective new owner, I have a test drive booked in this week.

Does anyone find they have issues with comfort on long drives? My current car is comfortable for about the first hour and then after that I find I get discomfort in my lower back. Just wanted to see what other people's experiences were with the Abarth. Thanks.
I have driven from Albuquerque to San Antonio (700 miles, 10.5 hours each way) several times in the past 9 months and find this to be one of the most comfortable rides I have ever had for that trip. Not so much for the passenger seat. (My wife won't go with me on any trip over 200 miles.) I also have had back issues, but not with this car.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I have the standard Abarth seats. Took me a while to adjust them to my liking - and I did have some back pain until then - but its good now. Did a three hour stint on Sunday with bits of everything - freeway and back road blasts - and had no problems.

I'm 5' 9" and about 180lbs - and having just typed that, I really need to get my ass down the gym.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
How adjustable are they actually?
Not enormously adjustable to be honest. On my standard Abarth seats, you get forward / aft, recline (which may be limited depending on how far back you have the seat) and height (which - as in most cars - only really adjusts the front lip of the seat cushion under your thighs). All manual. The steering wheel is adjustable for height, but not reach.

The key for me was moving the seat forward one notch and reclining one notch. I normally prefer quite an upright seating position, but a little more reclined works better for me in this car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll have a play when I test drive later this week.

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
Not enormously adjustable to be honest. On my standard Abarth seats, you get forward / aft, recline (which may be limited depending on how far back you have the seat) and height (which - as in most cars - only really adjusts the front lip of the seat cushion under your thighs). All manual. The steering wheel is adjustable for height, but not reach.

The key for me moving the seat forward on notch and reclining one notch. I normally prefer quite an upright seating position, but a little more reclined works better for me in this car.
I found that the same thing worked for me. For years, I had a more upright seating position, but at 6 feet tall, I found the cabin of the Abarth 124 Spider barely tall enough for me. The trick was to recline the seat all the way back and leave it a notch forward, which gave me plenty of leg room.

It didn't take long for that driving position to feel natural. I got back into my other car after a couple of weeks of driving the 124 Spider and the seating position I had used for years suddenly felt very unnatural.

I really do wish they the steering wheel was telescoping though, but it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have taken a couple 4 and 5 hour drives and back felt good after the trip. Have a 9 hour coming at the end of the month so we shall see if i still say it then, but i have faith that i will so it was fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts