Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a few days ago that the piping on the lower outside seat back had suffered significant wear from my jeans having rubbed against it as I have exited during the last year. It sounds a bit trivial but the outlook is for a pretty ragged-looking seat. Other than wearing flannel pajamas when I drive the car, I cannot see how to avoid making this damage. Has anyone else faced this issue and, I hope, come up with a clever repair solution? The only ideas I have had so far involve using a small strip of that rip-stop nylon fabric tape around the piping or maybe mixing some shoe polish with crazy glue and applying it with a tiny brush on the damaged piping. As I only visit the internet once a week, please accept my sincere thanks in advance to any who have suggestions or comments. Best Regards, Ralph

·
Registered
330 Posts
Same issue. The wear on the side bolster red stitches (not piping) is the only blemish in my 13-month-old Abarth. I don't know how to repair that, but I have come up with a technique that should mitigate further damage. As I sit down, I reach behind my back with the left hand and grab the bolster on the fly. My fingers then protect the bolster from my jeans.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
When I get in, I'm backing in, planting my butt in the seat, and then pivoting. This will reduce the friction on the bolster. Of course, now I'm accelerating wear in the middle, with the pivot. Between the fragile upholstery and easily marked plastics the only way to minimize these issues is to drive nude.
Not a good solution!
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
You have to be thin and flexible to get into an 124 Spider, having an Abarth, is the incentive to not gain weight.
its one of my motivations...:D

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I began noticing the issue with the seat piping after 4 months.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Over time, there was a wear issue with both my Corvette and my 350Z because you are having to “drop” into these low slung cars. Best to learn some entry/exit techniques as suggested above.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have it on my Reccaro Seats, the piping is just Red Vinyl. Seems to be the seat belt, I sit very forward as I am short.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I would report this to the dealership!

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yup. I started a thread on this months ago. What has helped me was a suggestion to move the seat all the way back for getting in and out and I use my left hand to push near where the door bushing is to assist so I don't crash against the seat. Mine was wearing out after less than 3000KM's.
If someone gets warranty work done let us know.

·
Registered
430 Posts
A good warranty can make it just like new.

I have wear on my seat just after a few months. It's not something I'd expect in a car thats not even 1 year old.

Exercise the warranty and you'll get more of the same.

No upholstery issues yet on my '18 Lusso, Rosso/tan, with about 6500 miles on the odo. I've positioned the seat to allow entry and exit with sliding over the bolster, maybe that's why.... dunno???

Paul

·
Registered
62 Posts
It is one of those things difficult in avoiding. My jeans metal buttons did not help. Since i noticed this and being more careful how i enter my Car. Car seat cover is an option but i prefer no covers.
Should it eventually get to a point of repairs then so be it. It is not a warranty issue. Design of such seats are just that.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Ive been driving low slung sports cars for decades and seat wear is a fact of life, irregardless of manufacturer (I've seen some pretty ratty looking Porsche seats). Don't let it bother you. You can visit a reupholster shop if you keep the car long enough. Avoid jeans with back pocket buttons. Drive naked if your local laws allow that.

Reactions: jetlag
1 - 17 of 17 Posts