Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if it's just me, but when I'm on the highway with the top and both windows down, the driver side seatbelt makes a horrible flapping noise. Yes, I'm wearing my seatbelt. The flapping seems to be coming from the area between the back of the seat and the car. I was hoping that maybe someone had figured out a way to avoid this as it's really quite loud and a bit bothersome. I've actually rolled up the windows a few times because of how annoying the sound is. And before you guys ask, I'm only doing about 75 or so when this happens. It's not like I'm trying to break any speed records. lol

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Yes, I have had that. Is it the seatbelts? I think there's a bit of material in the headrest, I thought it might be that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't been able to tell. It's a tough place to look while you're driving. I'll take a look tonight and see if there's anything there. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I haven't noticed :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
i noticed the same issue on the highway too, but only intermittently. It is very annoying when it happens though. I haven't investigated it yet but my first thought was the seatbelt too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Are you sure its not the seats themselves, vs. seat belt.. I believe Ive read about this scenario before..
I havent personally heard any noise in either case for my car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
With my passenger holding the belt tightly and putting tension on it I was assured it was not the belt. Their observation was it may be one of the folds in the top. When you look down into the well while parked you can see how this could be the source. I'll try and confirm that this weekend.

·
Registered
561 Posts
At the risk of stating the obvious, you do have the belt properly looped thru the seat attachment, don't you? It slips out occasionally. And it's a little tricky to get it to sit properly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I get the same at lower speeds with a slight crosswind. It sounds like it is coming more from directly behind the driver towards the center. I was thinking it was something with the top or maybe some wind was getting into the center console or that cubby hole behind the seat. Very annoying at times.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I must have the music too loud to notice.

Reactions: Unknownsir

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
So, tried to get the 'flapping' sound, yesterday evening. Tried several stable speeds between 50 to 80. Could not get the noise to come back. As mentioned above, is it a combination of speed and crosswind?

·
Super Moderator
1,301 Posts
I had the same issue. Turned out to be the seat back upholstery panel. It sounded like an old radial aircraft engine! I cured it by putting a scrap of foam packing material between the seat and bulkhead.
Best regards
Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts