Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What really is the difference in the standard equipment Leather / Microfiber Sport Seats and the optional Alcantara Leather Recaro Seats in the 124 Abarth? In your opinion is the $1,195 cost worth it? It seems kind of steep.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Recaros are worth every penny IMHO and only $1.1k extra for them is peanuts compared with what other brands charge. But the standard seats are still very good.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Every person is different so you really need to find cars with each and try them out since the Recaros are great for some but not so for others.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You need to try them personally to see if they matter to you. For me, they were a must have option. In fact my only options were the Recaro seats and Brembo brakes. I find seats can make or break a car, and I bought this car for back road driving and occasional track duty (once I get the roll bar in).

You have to be the right size to fit the Recaro, but if you do it is a nice fit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
To me the look is part of what I paid for and I have no regrets.

One thing I would note that I have not seen posted online: the drivers seat absolutely offers stiffer side bolster support than the stock seats, but NOT the passenger seat. It looks the same but lacks the structure so the bolsters deflect readily. I had the car for months before discovering this. I have some full size passengers with ample hips and I kept expecting to hear complaints. None. Sat in them and sure enough there is more give built in than the drivers seat. That's a plus for me, but perhaps not to everyone.

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
408 Posts
The Recaros feel "pinchy" to me when I first sit in them. That changes for the better after a few minutes. This is my first Recaro seat and now understand every other seat feels more like an afterthought.

·
Registered
676 Posts

One thing I would note that I have not seen posted online: the drivers seat absolutely offers stiffer side bolster support than the stock seats, but NOT the passenger seat. It looks the same but lacks the structure so the bolsters deflect readily. I had the car for months before discovering this. I have some full size passengers with ample hips and I kept expecting to hear complaints. None. Sat in them and sure enough there is more give built in than the drivers seat. That's a plus for me, but perhaps not to everyone.
I had no idea, just went out and checked. Interesting that only the driver has the metal support in the bolsters. Looking you can't tell and it explains some reviews saying that visually the standard seats and the Recaros look to have simulator side bolsters. It is what the structure is underneath that makes the real difference.

I do think they sit a little lower, that was a big motivator for me. Goodwin Racing is supposedly working on a lowering bracket as well. Fingers crossed

I find them a tight but comfortable fit once I settle into it. But I am a bigger guy, 220 and 6'1". I have a bad back from a ski accident and have had zero back pain in the Recaro seats. The only one of my four cars I can say that about including in our newer MDX.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It does seem like a lot of money for a set of seats. However, this car is a toy, and toys are never meant to be practical. I've owned 5 Miata's since 1993, two where special editions with deluxe interiors. I find the my Abarth much nicer inside than any Miata i've owned, and also nicer than a friend's ND Miata with the touring package. I like the Recaro seats, especially since we live in Florida and they feel cooler than leather when left in the sun. I do find a bit of challenge getting out though, they grab you and do not want to let you go. I'm 6 feet tall and weigh about 165, so they fit me just fine.

·
Registered
587 Posts

I didn't know this. I have never sat in the passenger seat. I need to go to the garage and check this out. I'm ok with that as well. No one seems to complain about them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts