Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Security System Failure warning light

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  depotdan 
#1 ·
Came on today after the 90 minute trip at highway speeds - back to the dealership it goes - less than 2K on the car

F - ix
i - t
A - gain
T- ony

strikes again! under warranty and so it begins! this a a record for me - don't recall ever having to take a new car back for a system failure light this soon!

#6 ·
Strange thing I notice occasionally on this forum .......something stuffs up = "oh no, here we go, bloody Fiat !!" when more often than not it concerns a Mazda part
Boy, oh boy, Joe, did you ever hit the nail on the head! Fiat's contribution to this car is body design and the engine. 70%+ made in Japan by Mazda, under 20% by Fiat, about 5% by others.

Also, this board has, what, a hundred'ish or so people, if even, that are regular contributors on at least a weekly basis? And a host of others who have chimed in only once asking about a particular concern? And as a percentage, what does this equate to of all Mazda built vehicles (Mazda or other badges) around the globe? A button broke. A dash light came on. My paint is scratched. A seem on the upholstery is crooked. And so on... We at this board are but a tiny, tiny fraction of all the owners of Mazda products on the road (face it folks, you drive a Mazda with a Fiat engine and hood badge), and likely not representative of Mazda owners as a whole. Seems like there are billions (a gross exageration) of Mazda 3's and 6's out there on the road logging big care free miles every year, but I bet there is a forum for them where 1 owner in 500 is asking about a dash light or a piece of missing trim, making the rest of the readership think the brand must be junk.

Back up 15, 20, or more years ago, and look at what junk was rolling out of the dealer showrooms. Cars are higher quality now overall, but also many times more complex than in generations past. 30 years ago, you were nuts to buy a used car with over 75000 miles on it. Now, at 75k, many are just hitting their stride. At least mechanically. Today's rolling computer system cars? Watch out. When a laptop or cell phone is junk after 3-4 years, what makes us think the same electronics stuffed into our new cars will still function in 10 or 20 years? $$$.

And by the way, knocking on wood with both hands, in 6600 miles over the past 4.5 months of ownership, I've not had a single issue with my base Classica. Actually, I read of few, if any, problems with Classicas (except for maybe thermostats). Seems a lot of issues come up with these advanced electronic infotainment systems and related. Luckily my car has little of that.

Rant over.

Steve.

#4 ·
Ive owned several new cars over the years from various brands - I love the short forms FORD - found on the round dead, driver returns on foot, fix or repair daily ....my wife and I purchased a new 93 ford areostar mini van - kept it 11 years - gave up on the dealership after warranty ran out - got 2001 civic we as a family drove that car for 14yrs ( my daughter drove it to uni for 5) 1) recall and 1 warranty issue on that civic in 09 I replaced that civic with a ford ranger (no issues) and its never been back to the dealership (bar far the best bang for the buck 14g brand new in 09! - the 93 mini van got replaced with a Honda Mini Van - 10 yrs we drove it - its been replaced with a 2014 Santa Fe - it just had its first recall (hood latch) and has 44Km on it the ranger 58Km - some times you get lucky sometimes you don't

The Fiat is a car built by Mazda with a solid track record - so we should not see many issues with them - Im more disappointed with the dealership in question

#5 ·
I bought my 124 Lusso in mid July and have 1200 miles on the car. Only issues I've had were caused by the dealer prep. The Chrysler dealer is asking over $30,000 and can't inflate tires correctly, install frame plugs, calibrate the TPMS. fill the windshield washer reservoir, detail the engine bay, install a NAV card and then insist that the NAV is not part of the car (I bought the $3795 premium option) but for $900 extra they will install it. Once I fixed all those issues my car has ran like a top.

Bill B.

#7 ·
well I'm still concerned at the dealerships explanation that the little red is supposed to be on and indicating that the alarm system is activated - even though I while sitting in the service bay unlocked with the drivers door wide open they could clearly see the little light blinking away and the know **** well the car isn't locked.

I got the distinct feeling the tech's are not fully versed on these models yet at the dealership I'm dealing with - I'm going to pop by the one in the other end of the city tomorrow and see what the tech guys say at it.

#8 ·
well I'm still concerned at the dealerships explanation that the little red is supposed to be on and indicating that the alarm system is activated - even though while sitting in the service bay unlocked with the drivers door wide open they could clearly see the little light blinking away and the know full well the car isn't locked.

I got the distinct feeling the tech's are not fully versed on these models yet at the dealership I'm dealing with - I'm going to pop by the one in the other end of the city tomorrow and see what the tech guys say at it.

#9 ·
Just turned 6k. The only issue I've had was self inflicted. Forgot to reinstall electrical connector after installing GFB DV+. CEL that later self canceled. Compared to my first car, a 1948 Willy's Jeepster, what a difference. We have evolved from the dark ages.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.