Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sensor Pressure 3-Way Turbo Connection; Chipbox Install

I'm installing the Seletron Chipbox sold by Auto Ricambi today. Everything seems pretty straight forward and I have everything located and connected except what the instructions call PREX1 (to us, it's the sensor pressure 3-way turbo connection.)

The photo of this particular procedure is a bit nebulous; the only thing I'm sure of was that I disconnected the support as indicated but hunting around down there I cannot find a 3-way plug that will marry up with the Chipbox harness.

Any guesses?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, with the help of Brett at AR I found this particular connection.

·
741 Posts
I am glad I could help. Now, find some really small hands and connect it :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If only Brett. I can't imagine anyone could get to that buried connector from above, loosen the yellow locking slider, depress and pull on it.

So I jacked it up and came at it from the bottom. Had to use a shop pick to reach up and around it to loosen the yellow locking slider, easy enough. But when it came time to reach up and depress the black tab, then pull it... no go. Been at it over an hour. Due to the angle, I have to reach up and angle my body away and do this by Braille.

I call BS on the instructions saying it's a 30-60 minute job. If one was to come at it from the top and was left-handed ..... maybe.

Right now it's the monkey and the football and I'm feeling like the football.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm glad to say the job is complete albeit a far cry from Seletron's estimate of 30-60 minutes.

In short, I jacked up the car to try and access 3-way sensor pressure from the bottom, even removing the metal pan for more visiual access but could not get them separate (keep in mind that the yellow slide mechanism and the black depress are all facing away from the bottom.)

Seems that those of us that have Abarths also have the front shock tower braces. To find and see this particular plug, one has to remove the rights side strut and disconnect a 1" conduit from the body and push it out of the way, get down to where your chin is on the front quarter panel, and there it.... barely.

In the end I reign supreme. Anyone attempting this and has questions from me, just PM.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I'm guessing you are referring to the MAP sensor on the cold side intercooler pipe. Yes, that plug is VERY difficult to remove from the sensor, as experienced by folks installing the EC intercooler upgrade.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm guessing you are referring to the MAP sensor on the cold side intercooler pipe. Yes, that plug is VERY difficult to remove from the sensor, as experienced by folks installing the EC intercooler upgrade.
LOL, I have no idea. Maybe Brett with jump in. In the end I eventually worked them apart from the top using a 9" slotted screwdriver but not before all of the other attempts described. I don't like forcing apart electrical connections.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Could have been worse - taking a quick look at the install instructions it looks like it doesn't use the cam position sensor that is the bane of the Euro Drive Lite installers.

So we are all patiently awaiting your test drive impressions :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HTML:
So we are all patiently awaiting your test drive impressions
Give me a couple of days and I will report back. Took it out today and it pulled me back into the seat. A dyno will tell you the true numbers more than the seat of the pants. The good thing about the Chipbox is has a plug-in that returns the car to the normal mode. The best I can do it is get out onto the highway and do some quick accelerations to fourth gear and a stop watch in both modes.

I also run with a Valentine One radar detector; Barney is all over the place here.

More to follow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If only Brett. I can't imagine anyone could get to that buried connector from above, loosen the yellow locking slider, depress and pull on it.

So I jacked it up and came at it from the bottom. Had to use a shop pick to reach up and around it to loosen the yellow locking slider, easy enough. But when it came time to reach up and depress the black tab, then pull it... no go. Been at it over an hour. Due to the angle, I have to reach up and angle my body away and do this by Braille.

I call BS on the instructions saying it's a 30-60 minute job. If one was to come at it from the top and was left-handed ..... maybe.

Right now it's the monkey and the football and I'm feeling like the football.
Where is it located???

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Its on the cold side intercooler hose. The best way I get to it is pull the front passenger wheel and come in at it from that direction. It can be gotten to from the top side but a few things needs may need to be moved to get to it if you have larger hands like me.

·
741 Posts
Brett...i can't find the location to the PREX1...Please advice.
Sorry for the delay, I have not been on here since Friday. Here is something that might help.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Shark is right...I had a devil of a time removing mine during EC intercooler install...managed to pull a couple of the wires out of the connector...the repair involved removing the alternator to gain enough access to the plug and provide enough slack in the harness to actually repair the connector...a nightmare at best....care and patience is the key here....

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
So this is a 2-way sensor while the Euro Drive Lite uses a 3-way sensor(Cam sensor which is the most difficult Sensor to reach) I have EDL and very happy, 3 sensors better then the 2.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts