Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Administrator
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Share pictures of your lowered Fiat 124 Spider.

Please follow the guidelines below:

• Post the make and model of the aftermarket suspension (Springs or Coilovers)
  • Post alignment and specs if available
  • Share as many pictures as you want

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'm curious about the appearance of the lowering springs Madness sells private label, on sale now for $199. The website indicates that the drop is 1.4 inches (35mm).

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I'm curious about the appearance of the lowering springs Madness sells private label, on sale now for $199. The website indicates that the drop is 1.4 inches (35mm).
That's a big drop

·
Registered
194 Posts
installing 0.8" US-spec Eibachs on Weds... have yet to see a good example of those posted, so will take plenty of photos. Everything else looks a bit too "slammed" for my taste, so hoping this is the magic bullet to lose some of the stock suspension "float" and subtly tighten up the appearance.

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
If those are the same springs Madness has on their 124 I would pass on them. I think their car is too low. You can't get a finger between the tire and fender. The suspension is a system of components that is designed to work together. If all you want is to put the car down, save your money and cut down the stock springs.
In my area the roads are quite variable. Even race courses get rough over time and adequate suspension travel is imperative. The Miata I drove for 14 years was at stock ride height and there were places I had trouble with speed bumps, driveways and other road problems. So am am very reluctant to surrender the ability to safely deal with them.
regards
Pete

·
Registered
126 Posts
Very cool. I'm getting my Classica lowered on Friday (MX-5 Bilsteins + Goodwin Progress springs) and I will post my results. I haven't seen any Classicas lowered on the stock wheels, so it will be interesting to see how it looks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Classica + Eibach (+ Enkei Compe 16x7 +38 wheels retaining stock tires)

Just got back from a quick shakedown drive and I am beaming. This setup is exactly what I was hoping it would be. The Eibachs subtly tighten up the appearance but don't come across as too low. The handling is more on point and less prone to bounce and float, especially at higher speeds, but still retain great overall ride comfort. We dialed in more caster angle as well and the steering is much more communicative than as-delivered and has more positive return-to-center coming out of a turn.

Front - Eibach + Enkei by Jeff Conlin, on Flickr

Rear - Eibach + Enkei by Jeff Conlin, on Flickr

new wheels and springs... by Jeff Conlin, on Flickr

Will go into further detail in another post shortly, but here some reference measurements -
Ground to fender (wheelwell top) : F) 25 5/8" to 24 3/8" R) 25 3/8" to 24 3/8"
Tire top to fender (gap) : F) 2 1/2" to 1 1/2" R) 2 3/8" to 1 1/2"
Gound to sideskirt (center point between wheels) : 6 1/4" to 5 3/8"

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Nice drop

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
What springs do you have?. Did you change shocks also?. I have just the progressive springs , factory shocks. Mine is not as low as yours. Love it.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
What springs do you have?. Did you change shocks also?. I have just the progressive springs , factory shocks. Mine is not as low as yours. Love it.
I have H&R springs with stock shocks...the windshield bezel on the side has some foam tape and snaps...the top piece has some snaps and a couple of studs with nuts on them...you will need to access the nuts under the trim on the inside of the car...the mirrors were no big deal to snap off with the mirror glass in place but most people have had difficulty doing it without removing the mirror glass...there is a pretty good write up about removing the glass on the forum...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Classica + Eibach (+ Enkei Compe 16x7 +38 wheels retaining stock tires)

Just got back from a quick shakedown drive and I am beaming. This setup is exactly what I was hoping it would be. The Eibachs subtly tighten up the appearance but don't come across as too low. The handling is more on point and less prone to bounce and float, especially at higher speeds, but still retain great overall ride comfort. We dialed in more caster angle as well and the steering is much more communicative than as-delivered and has more positive return-to-center coming out of a turn.

Will go into further detail in another post shortly, but here some reference measurements -
Ground to fender (wheelwell top) : F) 25 5/8" to 24 3/8" R) 25 3/8" to 24 3/8"
Tire top to fender (gap) : F) 2 1/2" to 1 1/2" R) 2 3/8" to 1 1/2"
Gound to sideskirt (center point between wheels) : 6 1/4" to 5 3/8"
That looks amazing, do you have any more pictures?

·
Registered
194 Posts
That looks amazing, do you have any more pictures?
More pix coming including some direct comparisons shot at the same angles (the rear 3/4 view really pops now with the Good-Win installed as well). Just waiting for another sunny day... we're back into the stereotypical Seattle weather at the moment.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Rear 3/4 - Eibach + Enkei + Goodwin by Jeff Conlin, on Flickr
forgot to add alignment specs...

camber : -0.5 deg (-0.8 stock)
caster : +9.6 deg (+7.7 stock)
toe : 0mm (-1mm stock)

REAR
camber : -1.2 deg (-1.7 stock)
toe : 1.7mm (2.3mm stock)

The caster adjustment really "tied the room together"... highly recommended even if you aren't changing any suspension components.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts