Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

441 - 447 of 447 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Did you happen to inspect your FMIC hoses?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
Did you happen to inspect your FMIC hoses?
I did take a quick look at them. I found some mild scuffing on the same spots you pointed out. I ran out of energy and time today, so I’ll work on protecting those spots next time I’m under there. I did find my spare sound tiles and I think they will be perfect for protecting the pipes.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
Never assume that you don’t have a boost leak. I performed a boost leak test yesterday and found that the cold side pipe has a slight leak at the intercooler connection. It took 2 minutes to bleed from 30 psi to 12 psi. I tried tightening the clamp, but I couldn’t stop the leak, and the clamp felt like it was at its limit.

I’m looking at replacing the clamp with one of these:

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
Big props to @Greg and @[email protected] for responding to email asking for support this holiday weekend. You guys are the best.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
I guess my car has to go to a dealer. I’m getting a clunk when rolling slowly with the steering wheel all the way to the left or the right. I’m guessing ball joint or wheel bearing. Not sure if these items will be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I guess my car has to go to a dealer. I’m getting a clunk when rolling slowly with the steering wheel all the way to the left or the right. I’m guessing ball joint or wheel bearing. Not sure if these items will be covered under warranty.
I don't know how many miles you have on your car but it usually takes a while for a ball joint or wheel bearing to go out. To check the ball joint just lift your front wheel off the ground and put a long bar or something underneath the tire where you can pry it up and down. If you feel movement or hear a clunk that indicates a worn ball joint. The wheel bearings would make a whirring noise all the time I would think.

Have you checked the bolts on the sway bar bracket and end links? If they are loose that would make a clunking noise. Also check the bolts on the upper and lower control arms.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
I don't know how many miles you have on your car but it usually takes a while for a ball joint or wheel bearing to go out. To check the ball joint just lift your front wheel off the ground and put a long bar or something underneath the tire where you can pry it up and down. If you feel movement or hear a clunk that indicates a worn ball joint. The wheel bearings would make a whirring noise all the time I would think.

Have you checked the bolts on the sway bar bracket and end links? If they are loose that would make a clunking noise. Also check the bolts on the upper and lower control arms.
24k miles. It also had its accident 2 years ago, although it was hit in the back.

I can feel the clunk, too. I know ball joints don’t normally go out so soon, but we’ve got some nasty roads here in the Bay Area, lots of bad potholes and some I have failed to avoid. I agree it’s probably not a wheel bearing. I’ll check on all the things you mentioned.

441 - 447 of 447 Posts