Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

461 - 480 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #461 (Edited)
Should be no problem for you. I wouldn't let anyone else do it. I cheated and put in the Karcepts bar but it turned out to be a royal PITA because it didn't fit well at all so it took me about as long to install the Karcepts bar as it would have to drop the steering rack and go with a normal bar, which is what I wish I had done.
People in the threads I posted are claiming the steering rack does not need to be touched. There’s even a Spider owner in the thread saying he did it without lowering the rack. I'm going to try without lowering it, I really don't want to touch the steering.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #462
More affirmation on Facebook tonight.

2A990A54-C19E-48A1-93C5-107EE5D4B734.jpeg

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
What are you waiting for? Git'er done!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #464

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I broke an intercooler fitting while trying to force the bar in without moving the steering rack. If you can do it without forcing anything then it’s good. However, I wouldn’t worry too much about moving the rack - just make sure the column to rack fitting is realigned, it’s just two bolts on the rack.

but as noted, so many people have done it now, there’s plenty of help if you get stuck on something.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It was a pain for me because my sway bar bushings were seized on the sway bar, so I had to grind that away before I could get the bar out. Installing I had to lower the rack as I couldn't get it in with it installed, but you may have better luck. I think doing it now would be faster since I know what I'm doing, but the first time took longer because it was definitely a learning experience lol.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,442 Posts
You don't have to drop the rack if you remove the engine! Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I am mentally preparing myself to tackle the front sway bar. For a bit I had been considering taking it to miataspeed (it turns out I live 5 miles from them), but people recently are reporting that the job is a lot easier than everyone thought. I would like to continue to be able to say that all work on the car has been done by myself.

This is one area where the ND could be fairly different from the 124, just in terms of things to navigate the bar around getting it in and out.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #469
This is one area where the ND could be fairly different from the 124, just in terms of things to navigate the bar around getting it in and out.
That has been my concern, but now I have 3 124 owners confirming that they didn't drop the steering or subframe to swap the car: one in the threads I posted above, @pattbone, and a member of this forum's companion facebook group. At worst, I'll have to drop the steering.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's a fab mod, a great improvement, much flatter going through the bends. The install is a pain and a bit fiddly to get the old bar out and the new one in, but take your time, it does fit (y).
You only need to install once, but you get to enjoy it every time you go for a drive ;).

I did a writeup of my install, not everything went to plan... But, hey even I managed it in the end. Its not that bad. I took the bolt out if the subframe and that gave me enough movement to get it in place.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #471
Redline Auto Parts had a differential from an auto Abarth pop up this morning. I went to buy it after lunch and it was already gone ?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Redline Auto Parts had a differential from an auto Abarth pop up this morning. I went to buy it after lunch and it was already gone ?
I've torn down my Jeep's front and rear differentials so many times I can do it in my sleep but I haven't cracked open my Spider's diff yet. I've LOVE to see you get this done...with tutorial of course!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #474
I've torn down my Jeep's front and rear differentials so many times I can do it in my sleep but I haven't cracked open my Spider's diff yet. I've LOVE to see you get this done...with tutorial of course!
If I get one, it will be a pumpkin swap. I won't be opening them up. I really want one.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
If I get one, it will be a pumpkin swap. I won't be opening them up. I really want one.
That's cheating! You need to learn the joys of swapping the ring gear and setting proper back lash. At least you wouldn't need to fool with pinion depth, which is the real PITA.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #476
That's cheating! You need to learn the joys of swapping the ring gear and setting proper back lash. At least you wouldn't need to fool with pinion depth, which is the real PITA.

LOL. I actually don’t think the LSD parts will install into the open diff housing, but I could be wrong. Diffs aren’t a strong topic area for me.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #478
Just finished some spirited driving on the way to work this morning. People ask me what it’s like to drive an EC Phase 3 car. It’s trouble. As in this car is going to get me into serious TROUBLE. LOL. The EC turbo is the gift that keeps on giving. This car is a little monster.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #479
7F11C747-776E-4A38-9DED-633DDEB8A864.jpeg

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I am loving my EC P2 tune, cannot imagine what it is like to have the P3. Quit rubbing it on!!!???

461 - 480 of 507 Posts