Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my Abarth's getting a little tight going from 1st-2nd. 2nd and third is a little tighter but it's worse when I shift from 1st to 2nd. I'm having to really pull on the stick, which is new.

anyone else seeing this?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Well, do you live in an area where the seasonal temperatures are dropping? Colder temps lead to stiff shifting until the system warms up. If this is the case, giving the car an extra minute or two to warm up, get things moving, may help.

Changing the gear oil to a higher quality synthetic may help as well. See the manual tranny gear oil threads in the oil and lubes section of this board, including how-to procedures in the tutorial section. I changed to Amsoil in my six-speed and the shifting feel improved, and I flushed all the new transmission gunk out in the drain process. "XtremeRevolution" can get you set up with the Amsoil and oil pump you will need, or have a local shop change it for you.

If it's beyond these issues, sorry, I can't help, a mechanical expert may be needed.

Good luck,
Steve.

Reactions: jtucker33

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
As Steve mentioned, synthetics will improve the shifting. Between the fresh transmission and cold weather it will be a more harmonious situation. And when it warms up it'll be slicker than snot.
��
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
480 Posts
how does the clutch feel? perhaps you are losing pressure and not getting disengagement (perhaps air in the line or bad slave or master cylinder). if that is not the problem, a drain and refill of the transmission may be in order. I would recommend checking the miata forums and seeing if some NC owners had the same problem and what they have used as a replacement lubricant. my NB trans loves motorcraft full synthetic 75w90.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts