Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer:
I'm looking for a MY 2018.
Like most,I want the best price and I'm will to travel as far as necessary to get it.
I'm not in a hurry since my car is only 6 months old.
I want a manual Aluminum Abarth with Luxury Pkg. (or whatever it's called for 2018), so not an exotic order.
Will I travel to Calif. to save $1k,no.

In warmer climates,cars are sold as fast as they arrive,except for local moron in SW Florida who has added a 1k "Market Adjustment" & even more for exterior and interior coatings (pure dealer profit). So I won't be buying locally.
I realize that some dealers in the Rust Belt and colder climates may discount their cars in the winter.
I understand that production for MY 2018 will begin in August with delivery up to 3 months later.
So the question is,should I just order and negotiate the best deal or roll the dice and hope to find a good price in the dead of winter?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have they announced any changes to the 2017 model for the 2018 model?

I'm torn too. I want the same as you. The Argento aluminum (manual and luxury), but with the red seats and possibly the heritage stripe. None of those are anywhere to be found. There are a couple of black ones near me without the seats and stripe, but I have not gone and seen them as I am holding out (so far) for the aluminum.

I am also annoyed that the car doesn't come standard with satellite radio and heated seats.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Does ordering one cost anything? Does canceling the order cost anything?

If not, go ahead a place an order, but keep your eyes open for one anyway. If you can grab one early, just cancel the order. Otherwise, you're guaranteed to get what you want eventually.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I'm torn too. I want the same as you. The Argento aluminum (manual and luxury), but with the red seats and possibly the heritage stripe. None of those are anywhere to be found. There are a couple of black ones near me without the seats and stripe, but I have not gone and seen them as I am holding out (so far) for the aluminum.

I am also annoyed that the car doesn't come standard with satellite radio and heated seats.
The cars we want are vastly different.What I want is much easier to find,but we agree on wanting the best price. If a great deal comes along on black,I may jump.

·
Registered
606 Posts

Heated seats are standard except in the base Classico.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thought I had heard that the 2017 bright aluminum was not going to be available in the 2018 and that it was a darker shade?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think you will find the opposite...

When I tried to look into ordering an 18 I was told that the Grigio Aluminum was going away and being replaced with a Grigio Chiaro (light grey ) the parenthetised light grey is the FCA descriptor not mine. I asked if the dealer knew if it was light metallic or light gloss grey and all they could say is it might be the same as the current '15 Grigio Chiaro seen on the 500L and 500 and probably metallic because the current 500 Grigio Chiaro is. The current Grigio Chiar of the 500 is a little lighter than the aluminum grey. I if anything wanted to go a little darker.

But then he threw in the disclaimer, but the paint for the spider is coming off the mazda line so it could be anythng and just be called the same thing. :eek:

THe
Thought I had heard that the 2017 bright aluminum was not going to be available in the 2018 and that it was a darker shade?

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you will find the opposite...

When I tried to look into ordering an 18 I was told that the Grigio Aluminum was going away and being replaced with a Grigio Chiaro (light grey ) the parenthetised light grey is the FCA descriptor not mine. I asked if the dealer knew if it was light metallic or light gloss grey and all they could say is it might be the same as the current '15 Grigio Chiaro seen on the 500L and 500 and probably metallic because the current 500 Grigio Chiaro is. The current Grigio Chiar of the 500 is a little lighter than the aluminum grey. I if anything wanted to go a little darker.

But then he threw in the disclaimer, but the paint for the spider is coming off the mazda line so it could be anythng and just be called the same thing. :eek:

THe
It seems to be a popular color,at least IMO. Why not keep it? Adding a dark blue is nice but I would have preferred the earlier,medium blue.

·
Banned
425 Posts
If you are ordering the car, it does not mean you cannot negotiate the price. You get the best deal by identifying what you want and then having multiple dealers make offers. How well you can do in advance of dealers knowing what incentives (dealer incentives, not buyer incentives) they can earn is debatable. If you can find what you want in a 2017, your chances of getting movement on a better price are improved if you have some leeway on what varieties you will accept.
This link is a little long winded but has the best explanation I have seen of what might be available and how best to get it. http://www.clark.com/eye-opening-tru...-invoice-price

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well crafted response and EXCELLENT advise!

If you are ordering the car, it does not mean you cannot negotiate the price. You get the best deal by identifying what you want and then having multiple dealers make offers. How well you can do in advance of dealers knowing what incentives (dealer incentives, not buyer incentives) they can earn is debatable. If you can find what you want in a 2017, your chances of getting movement on a better price are improved if you have some leeway on what varieties you will accept.
This link is a little long winded but has the best explanation I have seen of what might be available and how best to get it. http://www.clark.com/eye-opening-tru...-invoice-price

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke with the sales manager at a Fiat/Alfa only dealer in the Midwest today and asked him the question. He said if I wanted a car that had options that weren't common that the only way to guarantee to receive the car I wanted that I should order. Obviously. I said it was just an Abarth with Luxury Pkg. He said I may get a better deal if I waited until the dead of winter,but.........I may not get what I want.
I may roll the dice.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I spoke with the sales manager at a Fiat/Alfa only dealer in the Midwest today and asked him the question. He said if I wanted a car that had options that weren't common that the only way to guarantee to receive the car I wanted that I should order. Obviously. I said it was just an Abarth with Luxury Pkg. He said I may get a better deal if I waited until the dead of winter,but.........I may not get what I want.
I may roll the dice.

You only live once! If you are not 100% happy with what you now get something that will make you happier. The longer you wait the less your current car will be worth and it also means you will have less time with something else. Money always matters to most of us but if it is not a lot why prolong the wait, but it is your money and only you can decide.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's a personal choice with no right or wrong answer. One trade-off is the priority you place on getting a better deal vs. the benefit of enjoying it now. How much is having one and enjoying it for the next several months worth to you? Only you can answer that question. If you live where winter weather is a factor (I'm in the Phoenix Arizona area, so enjoying some really nice top-down weather this time of year) the variables are different. No one should pay more than they have to, but obviously a big part of how hard you look, and whether or not you wait for a lower price, comes down to available financial resources. One person I know is going to wait long enough to have some used Spiders on the market to choose from - at least a year and maybe two. Initially, I had planned to wait about a year before buying one, but I purchased my Prima the same day the dealer put it on the showroom floor because I figured it would likely be my only chance to ever own that trim and I really enjoy having something that is a little unique. It didn't give me much leverage for negotiating, but that was a choice I made.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Disclaimer:
I'm looking for a MY 2018.
Like most,I want the best price and I'm will to travel as far as necessary to get it.
I want a manual Aluminum Abarth with Luxury Pkg. (or whatever it's called for 2018), so not an exotic order.
Will I travel to Calif. to save $1k,no.

In warmer climates,cars are sold as fast as they arrive,except for local moron in SW Florida who has added a 1k "Market Adjustment" & even more for exterior and interior coatings (pure dealer profit). So I won't be buying locally.
I realize that some dealers in the Rust Belt and colder climates may discount their cars in the winter.
I understand that production for MY 2018 will begin in August with delivery up to 3 months later.
So the question is,should I just order and negotiate the best deal or roll the dice and hope to find a good price in the dead of winter?
Fiat of Albuquerqe has 12 Spiders listed in inventory, several are manuals, several are Abarths, several are silver.

http://www.fiatusaofalbuquerque.com/new-inventory/index.htm?saveFacetState=true&model=124+Spider&normalDriveLine=&normalFuelType=&normalExteriorColor=&normalInteriorColor=&normalInteriorMaterial=&normalTransmission=&lastFacetInteracted=inventory-listing1-facet-anchor-model-0

Reactions: karmatourer

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a personal choice with no right or wrong answer. One trade-off is the priority you place on getting a better deal vs. the benefit of enjoying it now. How much is having one and enjoying it for the next several months worth to you? Only you can answer that question. If you live where winter weather is a factor (I'm in the Phoenix Arizona area, so enjoying some really nice top-down weather this time of year) the variables are different. No one should pay more than they have to, but obviously a big part of how hard you look, and whether or not you wait for a lower price, comes down to available financial resources. One person I know is going to wait long enough to have some used Spiders on the market to choose from - at least a year and maybe two. Initially, I had planned to wait about a year before buying one, but I purchased my Prima the same day the dealer put it on the showroom floor because I figured it would likely be my only chance to ever own that trim and I really enjoy having something that is a little unique. It didn't give me much leverage for negotiating, but that was a choice I made.
Thanks but my OP said:I'm looking for a MY 2018.

I understand everyone's situation is different and you did what is best for you. So any time next year would work for me.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the heads up,but a year too early for me. I'll definitively call then next year. Hope they're willing to deal.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks but my OP said:I'm looking for a MY 2018.
My local dealer stated some of the 124s they have on order are 2018's. I'd doubt it since you can't configure a 2018 online, but if so it would be worth it to ask them to place one for you. Since you're not asking for anything exotic, you may not have to put down a deposit...

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My local dealer stated some of the 124s they have on order are 2018's. I'd doubt it since you can't configure a 2018 online, but if so it would be worth it to ask them to place one for you. Since you're not asking for anything exotic, you may not have to put down a deposit...
Thanks. I understand 2018 production will begin in August.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts