Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Show your shifter knob

24K views 73 replies 45 participants last post by  Steele 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a new shifter knob,
But can't make up my mind.

So I thought I'd ask to see what some of the members have gone with.

I have noticed that there are a lot of custom 500 knobs, not sure if they are the same size as the 124.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I would doubt the 500 knobs will fit on the 124 Spider, the cars are made by 2 different companies.

Any knob that will fit the ND generation Mazda MX5 (Miata) will fit the Spider. Metric thread, M10x1.25mm.

Choices, choices. Here are 5 that I still have, 3 others have gone out into the world on other Spiders. Wood knobs I've made. (Excuse the slight wide angle lens distortion a the left and right knobs.) L to R, cocobolo, burl maple, canarywood, padauk (which in natural light is orange/red, not purple/red), and figured maple.

Padauk installed just after construction, before the wood had a chance to darken a bit in color from sun exposure.

Steve.

Attachments

#6 ·
Feels good in the hand and is never hot... sickspeed knob with aluminum boot collar - adds height to the shifter and helps reduce accidental nav knob changes

Reactions: jopo and Mike34
#11 ·
Thanks, Dan!

Steve.

#12 ·
Here are the two I have purchased, I can't speak highly enough of Raceseng's craftsmanship. I purchased the Rondure, the red one, right before the Circuit series came out because I wanted more of a cylindrical knob and that was all they had. When the Circuit series came out I decided to switch to that because the Rondure was a little too large for my hand and the weight killed the feel of shifting. I'm in love with my Circuit Cylinder and think it almost looks OEM with the material!

Attachments

Reactions: jconli1
#18 ·
Corksport leather knob. I love it. Slightly taller, slightly heavier, larger circumference and much nicer for overhand shifting. I never liked the OEM knob for this reason.

Stitching matches the hand brake's very well, too. Redline Goods shifter and brake boots (black Nappa leather, red stitching) on their way, so I'll update pics when those are in.

Footwear Shoe Bicycle saddle
Wood Hardwood

#34 ·
Hi, are you willing to sell to me the stock shift knop?

#19 ·
Red insert installed. I also had a black one created as well, in case I ever want to go that route. But for now, red is right. :)

#23 ·
Dodgeman921, love that knob. What are the details?

#27 ·
Depotdan - pricey they may be - but in my opinion, probably the best interior I've seen on here. Very classy. I really like how everything matches, with just the right amount of red. The shifter knob is the perfect cherry on top. I just installed a new console cover and worked quite a while to get it on straight and installed. How was the install for the meter hood and lower dash pieces?

#28 ·
Don’t feel a need to change it!

#31 ·
Decisions, decisions. From post 4 of this thread... last night I rolled out my car for the first time this season and I installed the figured maple knob from the right side of the photo in post 4. The shape provides great engagement and grip over the top of the knob for both push and pull strokes. A far superior shape to the stock Classica/Lusso knob, a shape that fills the hand.

May as well include a glamour shot. Low angle sun about an hour before sunset in front of a still-frozen lake. What a great way to have fun and practice this social distancing trend.

Steve.

#32 ·
Choices we have today include the classic 'Voodoo Knob' that have been popular in the Miata community for decades, comes in 6 different colors!

These are on our site and shipping daily, see them all by clicking HERE.

For the Racers out there seeking something non-metal we have our own Delrin choice:
RoadsterSport R3 Delrin Shift Knob

I find most knobs available a bit small for my hands. So, we are making another choice, will soon have the BIG RED KNOB on the site:

Watch our Fiat 124 interior section for that one in about a month....CLICK HERE.