Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
"The air deflectors where also designed and constructed by me."
OUTSTANDING!
When I noticed them in your photos my first thought was "WOW!" I haven't seen deflectors like that on any car in years. Nicely done! You are to be commended for your willingness to take that extra step and put forth the extra effort. As TX_Bandit has indicated, others may not always agree with what you do but it is your car, so make yourself happy.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 spider Abarth
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Im going to try this on my spider this weekend. Ive got my hacksaw, metal punch, tinsnips, anglegrinder, and an aluminum ingot that i'll melt using the bbq. I'll post pics of the finished product. Won't take me long...i think its a weekend job. Stay tuned.
LOL

·
Registered
Abarth 124 Spider in Isola d'Elba Blue
316 Posts
That's some really fascinating work, nicely done! The intricate work you've put in to those side vents is fantastic - hats off to you sir!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hi Oscarsordo50,
Sand
cast aluminum? Wow, that is some serious craftsmanship! I want to let you know there are people on this forum that appreciate the effort and inventiveness. Not everyone here feels modifying our Fiatas is a crime against humanity. 😃

I've done some serious mods to my Spider and get the same snarky responses. My motto: I do things that amuse me. If that offends you, that amuses me as well.
Thanks for the encouraging comments TX Bandit.
I was beginning to believe I had committed a crime judging from some of the previous post.
I have no problem with constructive criticism but some of these guys are vicious...God bless them.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Nice work.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Looks at least 10 mph faster and 0.15g more cornering power.

The red ring on your wheels reminds me of the ones on Yeonis Cespedes' Alfa 8C.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
oscarsordo50,

Your car, you get to do what you want. Having said that I will add I very much appreciated the thought, the planning and the effort that went into this modification. Cutting a hole in the side of one's auto is something very few are are capable of doing and besides requiring a steady hand it also requires a committed owner.
In your case, now that you've posted more photos of your Spider, I completely understand the use of carbon fiber. I am wondering though, would these vents be less obtrusive, less objectionable to some if color matched? In either case, personally there's no way I would mess with or alter the beautiful body lines on my Abarth.

I also am intrigued by and find the additional air deflectors an interesting touch. How are they attached to the glass? Do they provide noticeable functionality? Is there any increased wind noise with them? Where did you get them?
(My apologies for bustin' into your thread like this :))
Yes the parts come out of the casting process as solid aluminum after a bit of sanding and smoothing you can paint them any color you want. I chose to wrap them with carbon fiber wrap to match the rest of the car.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yes, the factory lugs are too short for the studs on the spacers so i just went and picked up a $40 spline drive set from autozone and called it a day.
Cannoli,
Was there room on the backside of the stock Abarth wheels for the stock wheel lugs and spacer nuts without having trim or grind anything, without having to shorten the stock lug? Did you have to go to an open ended lug nut (the spline drive ones you got from AutoZone) in order to accommodate the length of lug used on the new spacers?

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 6MT Modded To The Moon
279 Posts
Cannoli,
Was there room on the backside of the stock Abarth wheels for the stock wheel lugs and spacer nuts without having trim or grind anything, without having to shorten the stock lug? Did you have to go to an open ended lug nut (the spline drive ones you got from AutoZone) in order to accommodate the length of lug used on the new spacers?
Yes the spacers are pre-cut for space so no grinding needed. you need either an open end lug or one that is i think about an inch deep. The stock lugs were short by about 4-5 threads is all.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts