Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I buy the recommended plugs, is there anything I need to do but take it out of the box and install? I am mainly talking about the gap thing I read about. Do I have to manually do this on each one? I also read mixed feelings about an anti seize paste. Still looking into that.

Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Skip the anti-seize and check the plug gap just to make sure it’s correct.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
593 Posts
Hi, see the thread "A Short Treatise on Spark Plugs", plus read about them, including what Greg from Eurocompulsion said, toward the end of the thread "Handsome Beast". This should answer most any question you have. If you choose to use an anti-seize compound, use a very light coat of copper anti-seize. Best, s.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
And "VERT WELL DONE" for taking it on for the first time.......Cheers
ron

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I just wasn’t sure if I bought the specific plugs if they were “pre-gapped”. lol.

Hell I just learned there was a gap, let alone it can be changed.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
870 Posts
Be careful with the gap tool. Don’t force it it will scratch the platinum tip. EC sells the pregapped plugs that you can just drop in. Use a torque wrench to tighten once snug. Too much torque distorts the mating surface. Very important don’t drop the plugs in the holes use your fingers to lower gently. That’s about it good luck we all have your back if you have and questions.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You'll need a suitable spark plug socket (a deep socket with a rubber insert to "grip" the top of the spark plug once it is loose), an extension bar and ratchet wrench, 3/8" drive will be OK, probably better than 1/2" (not as wide if space is limited, which I don't think is the case for the 124 Spider). You'll also need a suitable allen key (or bit) or Torx bit to remove the coil packs, plus maybe other sockets/spanners (I can't remember what else might be in the way).

Plus a torque wrench to tighten the plugs back up again, if you want to go by the book, but spark plugs are normally only about 25 ft-lb which is "quite tight" but not really tight (maybe an 1/8th turn once they are fully seated)

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
593 Posts
124 Spider service manual states spark plug torque is 13 lb./ft. Just snug. s.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Don’t spark plugs often come with a dab of anti seize on the threads already? Maybe not for this vehicle/plugs?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Reactions: SteveP.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That is excellent!! My thoughts on using anti-seize on spark plugs were based on training I received from both GM and BMW schools, where many of the instructors were engineers. In both GM and BMW schools the instructors said anti-seize may be used if desired, but only a very thin coat, and only use copper anti-seize as the copper A) is a conductor of electricity and therefore does not interfere with the ground path, and B) is an excellent conductor of heat, therefore has minimal effect on the heat range/ heat transfer of the plug. Admittedly, this was from at least 20 years ago from GM, and maybe 10 years ago from BMW. As time goes on, technology, materials, processes evolve and this appears to be one of those cases. I will not, from now on, suggest that anti-seize is an option on NGK's ( or, for that matter, any other name brand quality plug). The other 4 points (corona, etc ) are well understood. Good Job, @Zumata ! Best, s

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah, I’m also old school, but after reading the below thread from another forum I stopped putting it on newer plugs with the special metal coating.
I think it’s still OK for lawn equipment & older vehicles though.

Reactions: SteveP.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
279 Posts
If I buy the recommended plugs, is there anything I need to do but take it out of the box and install? I am mainly talking about the gap thing I read about. Do I have to manually do this on each one? I also read mixed feelings about an anti seize paste. Still looking into that.

Thanks
This is the only safe tool to use if lowering the gap on the new iridium tipped spark plugs

This plus a set of metric feeler gauges large enough to include individual arms for 22mm to 29mm needed to accurately measure the gap. Many inexpensive, small, feeler sets will NOT have these individual gauges.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would prefer to buy the plugs already at the required gap. This will ensure that I don’t mess it up. Is there a recommended place to buy them this way or does it cost more? I am just starting to look into this, sorry for the dumb questions.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
This is the only safe tool to use if lowering the gap on the new iridium tipped spark plugs
This plus a set of metric feeler gauges large enough to include individual arms for 22mm to 29mm needed to accurately measure the gap. Many inexpensive, small, feeler sets will NOT have these individual gauges.
Tool recommendation appreciated, and ordered. Question: I'm trying to source a feeler gauge set that includes the range you noted, but I'm having zero luck finding one. Any suggestions or links to an appropriate product?
TIA

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
I would prefer to buy the plugs already at the required gap. This will ensure that I don’t mess it up. Is there a recommended place to buy them this way or does it cost more? I am just starting to look into this, sorry for the dumb questions.
Thanks
At noted earlier, Eurocompulsion is a good option for this. There may be others who will pre-gap and ship, but I've ordered them from EC and was happy with the service.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
870 Posts
I’m not understanding where 22mm fits in when referring to spark plug gap. Did you mean .22mm? I thought I read everywhere it was .22-.24mm as spec.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Call me old-fashioned but I never used any tools to set the gap other than a thick feeler guage to open up the gap a little if needed, or some hard object to tap the outer electrode against to close to gap. Maybe spark plugs these days can't take abuse like they used to? And has the fad for multiple electrodes gone away now? You could not easily reset the gap on those...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Tool recommendation appreciated, and ordered. Question: I'm trying to source a feeler gauge set that includes the range you noted, but I'm having zero luck finding one. Any suggestions or links to an appropriate product?
TIA
Nickel Circle Metal Auto part Font

Hi Cal, this is what I use to check/set spark plug gaps: ok to use it to open gaps, you can use the tool you just ordered to close the gap. (As @azzura does, I just tap the outside electrode on my bench vise, gently, to close the gap. A bit crude, I suppose, but I cannot recall ever having damaged a plug this way). I prefer the tapered coin type gap gauge over the wire type, easy to use - just slide the taper along to find the gap measure and the small hole to open up the gap. I find it is easy to damage the fine center electrodes with the wire types, esp. if you get careless. Google "Champion CT-481 spark plug gap tool" to find them for sale online - cheap, about $5 or less, available from Walmart, e-bay, parts stores, etc. Best, s.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts