Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Hi Cal, this is what I use to check/set spark plug gaps: ok to use it to open gaps, you can use the tool you just ordered to close the gap. (As @azzura does, I just tap the outside electrode on my bench vise, gently, to close the gap. A bit crude, I suppose, but I cannot recall ever having damaged a plug this way). I prefer the tapered coin type gap gauge over the wire type, easy to use - just slide the taper along to find the gap measure and the small hole to open up the gap. I find it is easy to damage the fine center electrodes with the wire types, esp. if you get careless. Google "Champion CT-481 spark plug gap tool" to find them for sale online - cheap, about $5 or less, available from Walmart, e-bay, parts stores, etc. Best, s.
Thanks.... and I'm with you on the dislike of the wire versions. But I'm looking for the blade type. Not a fan of the tapering washer style. I've got an older set that's been in my toolbox for over three decades, but thought I might replace them with something cleaner and newer. :) Realistically, all I really need is .22, 23, and .24 since I'm running a EC tune. I need to be less fussy about the wider range of thicknesses, and if I focus on that smaller range I know I saw some on Amazon that fit the bill.

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
I’m not understanding where 22mm fits in when referring to spark plug gap. Did you mean .22mm? I thought I read everywhere it was .22-.24mm as spec.
What? You're thinking a 1" gap might be a bit much? :)

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
582 Posts
Hi Cal, I think this is probably what you are talking about, just a set of feeler gauges:
Road surface Asphalt Automotive wheel system Wood Font
This set is a "Blue Point", about 2 days older than dirt, and still functioning just fine. There are a number of different sets of feeler gauges available thru "www.snapontools.com" or "www.mactools.com". You will pay a high price from these guys, but the quality is generally high too, and most of the stuff is guaranteed forever, or until the next ice age anyway. The main point is here though, that feeler gauges will work - and are generally extremely accurate. However, they will not work well to open the gap if you desire or need to do that. The coin style will do that by using the small hole at the top of it. Best, s.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts