Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
That just wouldn't be right for this car.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think it would be so cool and function to have a trapezoidal exhaust tip that goes through the Reverse light housing and that way you can use the 2 side exhaust cutout openings for some type of rear diffuser

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think it would be so cool and function to have a trapezoidal exhaust tip that goes through the Reverse light housing and that way you can use the 2 side exhaust cutout openings for some type of rear diffuser
Funny you should say that! I was JUST thinking the same thing, looking at pictures that someone took of adding functional low mount brake lamps to the non-functional (in the US) reflectors on each side of the backup lamp. It was the pic of the fascia with that part removed that got me thinking...

It would be nice to just have a resonator in the midstream, then have the exhaust exit straight on back (with minor up/down curvature at the rear diff as needed) right out that center! I was thinking to do that, you'd want to put in a pair of flush-mount white LEDs in the fascia for new backup lamps, then just lose the whole OEM backup lamp assembly, leaving that opening for a metal trim ring (for thermal protection) and an exhaust exit formed at the end to taper into that shape's opening. It would be great weight reduction, along with the performance increase. And like you said, you then get to use the rest of that space for forming a rear diffuser of some kind. Just need to pass some air around the diff to keep it cool.

·
Registered
117 Posts
plenty of cars that came with duals move to singles. FRS/BRZ being ones that come to mind. I'll run a single for the weight savings, just trying to figure out if I can buy it or have it made.

Did you ever get one made and are you using it for track purposes? AFE (along with other new mods) makes a single exit exhaust for the 124 Spider.

Some claims from they make about this mod:

"Ultimate performance upgrade - single exhaust exit eliminates unnecessary second exit, reducing weight and flow restriction. No other FIAT 124 Spider axle-back on the market outflows this system.
Muffler Delete System:
Eliminates the heavy factory muffler to improve exhaust flow, horsepower and torque, resulting in a classic sportscar inspired exhaust tone without the drone.
Weight Savings:
Removes heavy stock muffler (26 pounds vs. 12 pounds)."

https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-36901-mach-force-xp-2-1-2-304-stainless-steel-axle-back-exhaust-system

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Cool

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm curious, is this purely for performance or do people do this because they think it looks cool? :confused: I mean,two exhaust cutouts with a pipe sticking out one of them...

The amount of performance you'll gain from this is minuscule.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Seems like one could have a single side axle back exhaust fabricated out of regular 2 1/2” exhaust tubing. Stainless really isn’t needed unless the pipe is staying on all year. For those occasional track day racers the pipe could be changed along with track day wheels and tires. The pipe has 2 - 90 degree bends with a down angle on the second bend, welded on flange and hangers. 2 1/2” 304 tubing, if needed, is $20.65/ft cut to size plus shipping.

Dan

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm curious, is this purely for performance or do people do this because they think it looks cool? :confused: I mean,two exhaust cutouts with a pipe sticking out one of them...

Is it not true that with any of the aftermarket exhausts, there is a mix of sound, performance and
looks to be gained, but which is the most important?

I'd have to say that one would do this AFE exhaust for functionality and increased performance over
stock by the loss of the restricted muffler in addition to the weight reduction. There are
also no leak points on it as it appears to be one big mandrel formed tube.

In my opinion, one would have to be really comfortable in their personhood to use this as far as
the aesthetics go, because it seems to be all business and functionality over form;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Is it not true that with any of the aftermarket exhausts, there is a mix of sound, performance and
looks to be gained, but which is the most important?

I'd have to say that one would do this AFE exhaust for functionality and increased performance over
stock by the loss of the restricted muffler in addition to the weight reduction. There are
also no leak points on it as it appears to be one big mandrel formed tube.

In my opinion, one would have to be really comfortable in their personhood to use this as far as
the aesthetics go;)
I'd say pretty much any exhaust is more for aesthetics and sound than performance. If you really want performance and don't mind the loss of aesthetics, e.g. for track days or racing, just remove the whole exhaust. No single exit can beat that. The mid pipe and muffler can be taken off and put back on easily.

The previous owner of another car I'm restoring did the same single exit mod on it and not only does it not do much, it looks absolutely horrendous. The car is a timeless classic and this kind of thing is just sacrilege. Even now I'm still not completely sure why people would do this. Do they think this is cool? Or is it just a misguided attempt at making power.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Did you ever get one made and are you using it for track purposes? AFE (along with other new mods) makes a single exit exhaust for the 124 Spider.

Some claims from they make about this mod:

"Ultimate performance upgrade - single exhaust exit eliminates unnecessary second exit, reducing weight and flow restriction. No other FIAT 124 Spider axle-back on the market outflows this system.
Muffler Delete System:
Eliminates the heavy factory muffler to improve exhaust flow, horsepower and torque, resulting in a classic sportscar inspired exhaust tone without the drone.
Weight Savings:
Removes heavy stock muffler (26 pounds vs. 12 pounds)."

https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-36901-mach-force-xp-2-1-2-304-stainless-steel-axle-back-exhaust-system
I have the aFe unit and will be installing it soon. It's not a center exit, but that would be more work. What this is, though, is no gimmick, no BS, straight-up weight loss and flow increase. Perfect for a race car :) and just what the doctor ordered until I can get around to doing a complete exhaust (probably Good-Win's).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I run a lithium battery
light weight wheels
purchasing seats at class min (25lbs)

It is foolish to add a gram, let alone lbs when looking to drop weight. the secondary exhaust exit serves zero purpose. Class rules is that the exhaust must exit in a single stock location.

I'll keep the stock exhaust for resale, but a timeless classic this car to me is not. I bought it because I feel it has a shot at being competitive in a SCCA class. If it isn't, i'll toss everything on here for sale and move on to the next.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I run a lithium battery
light weight wheels
purchasing seats at class min (25lbs)

It is foolish to add a gram, let alone lbs when looking to drop weight. the secondary exhaust exit serves zero purpose. Class rules is that the exhaust must exit in a single stock location.

I'll keep the stock exhaust for resale, but a timeless classic this car to me is not. I bought it because I feel it has a shot at being competitive in a SCCA class. If it isn't, i'll toss everything on here for sale and move on to the next.
Ok that makes a lot more sense. What I don't get are the kids who don't race but drive around town with one exhaust tip missing. Looks ghetto as ****.

It's too bad that you can't delete the whole exhaust for autoX. The performance and weight reduction from that just can't be beat.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My daydreaming mind shifts to a Cobra-style side pipe. But then there would be two unoccupied cut-outs.
Just shave the fascia from one side to the other, and relocate the backup lamp if you want to maintain street legality. A pair of small but bright LEDs in the body of the rear fascia would work.

That might be something down the road for Lil Mamba, but only after I've designed a rear diffuser to go in that space.

Update on the aFe pipe. It's in stock, but I can't put it on until I get the car some street time with just the intercooler and piping (and that's a whole other story). I still have the front wheels up, and the front fascia off, for replacing some boring black with metallic graphite (bezels and grilles). I can say that the pipe is fairly heavy for it's size, which is a good thing. In addition to the thick flange, they didn't use the cheapest crap pipe they could find, and the bends are smooth and not extremely tight radius. It has OE-looking hangers like the muffler has on each side, so it should stay put and hole the rest of the pipe really well. It does NOT come with any kind of tip, so once I have it installed and see how long it is, I'll probably just angle-cut the end and throw some high temp paint on, or add a short angle-cut tip so it doesn't look too goofy or unfinished.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts