Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have spent way to much time on the whole tire and wheel sizing, what tire, what rim, etc.

I found some great stuff on the Miata forum on this. (breath and depth being bigger there) There was link to this as well. Thought some folks here would enjoy.

After reading through both the forum and this link below I did make some changes as to what I plan to do.

In a nut shell I want to run Michelin PSS tires 215/45 17. As most of you know the tire size advertised means very little, the is a significant difference in size of tires that are marked the same. Tire Rack has done a good job providing their pwn measurements.

For example, the stock Abarth tire POTENZA S001 - SIZE: 205/45R17 has a section width of 8.1 in. and a tread width of 6.5 in.

The PSS has a section width of 8.4 in. and a tread width of 7.7 in. A lot wider than the numbers might suggest compared to stock. So, really a 8 in. wide rim is actually the better option for this tire for side wall support, performance, comfort, etc. (add .5 in. to your tread width to find rim width is the method I used)

Yes you could run them on a 7" rim, but not ideal for this tire.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...LY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx

·
Registered
480 Posts
with a 215 width tire, a 7 inch wheel would be appropriate, so would an 8 inch wheel. the 8 may give you a bit of stretch on the tire. I just installed a set of 8 inch wide wheels with 225-45/17 tires, and the sizing is great. for an 8 inch wheel, I have had as wide as a 245-40/17 installed (mustang gt factory sized) which worked properly. it is my opinion with the 215 a 7 or 7.5 wheel would be appropriate. I am not sure if you are questioning a wheel size or trying to justify the purchase of a new set of wheels. I have just installed a set of TR Motorsports FF-10 8 inch wheels, with 225-45/17 Sumitomo HTR-Z III tires. the ride quality has improved greatly with the lighter wheels, and acceleration feels better (not sure if it is a placebo effect for new tires).

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with a 215 width tire, a 7 inch wheel would be appropriate, so would an 8 inch wheel. the 8 may give you a bit of stretch on the tire. I just installed a set of 8 inch wide wheels with 225-45/17 tires, and the sizing is great. for an 8 inch wheel, I have had as wide as a 245-40/17 installed (mustang gt factory sized) which worked properly. it is my opinion with the 215 a 7 or 7.5 wheel would be appropriate. I am not sure if you are questioning a wheel size or trying to justify the purchase of a new set of wheels. I have just installed a set of TR Motorsports FF-10 8 inch wheels, with 225-45/17 Sumitomo HTR-Z III tires. the ride quality has improved greatly with the lighter wheels, and acceleration feels better (not sure if it is a placebo effect for new tires).
Not really justifying anything, just thought this write up link was very interesting. Actually there would be no "stretch" with this tire.

Anyway, read the link and enjoy, or not. Just sharing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts