Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried this out. Will see how I like it when i get it back out again.

Saw someone else do this with the silver badge - I just repainted to match the paint.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I did something similar to mine, but I adhered onto the smooth trim surface.

·
Registered
754 Posts
It comes with self adhesive tape on the back.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth
20 Posts
I was actually going to perform that same mod. However, if the airbag ever deploys on that side, it will likely become a projectile that could injure a passenger. Just a thought.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all!

Couple things
1) I used gorilla double tape. Obviously the original adhesive got damaged when I took this off the boot. It seems to be holding ok

2) due to right hand drive, the taper of the shiny bit doesn't work with the badge, otherwise I may have gone there.. looks good!

3) the red is less bright in reality and is the actual rosso from fiat

·
Registered
754 Posts
I was actually going to perform that same mod. However, if the airbag ever deploys on that side, it will likely become a projectile that could injure a passenger. Just a thought.
This was discussed on another forum. The thing is, when an airbag deploys, there are all sorts of debris flying in every direction. It’s part of the setup. These plastic letters are unlikely to amount to much more in such conditions.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thanks all!

Couple things
1) I used gorilla double tape. Obviously the original adhesive got damaged when I took this off the boot. It seems to be holding ok

2) due to right hand drive, the taper of the shiny bit doesn't work with the badge, otherwise I may have gone there.. looks good!

3) the red is less bright in reality and is the actual rosso from fiat
Agreed. The natural taper of the badge lends itself to left hand drive better.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Did you use glue, or tape or . . . .?
Best regards
Pete
I used 3M's "Extreme Molding Tape", in the 1 inch width, which I trimmed with scissors to size and shape, and applied to areas of the reverse side. The backside of the badge is hollow in spots, but when you look at it, you can easily see where the mounting tape will be effective...

The 3M is a bit more spendy, but it's designed to be used outdoors, and trust me, that badge is not going anywhere without some fishing line, or being pried off.

I have used all three kinds of Gorilla double-sided tape, the clear gel type, the white foam type, and the black foam type and I've had all eventually dry out and whatever I've mounted with them become unmounted. But I have under-cabinet lights mounted to unsanded, but painted, pine planks with the 3M and they're STUCK, and I've mounted several emblems and miniature die-cast model spaceships to cars with the stuff, and never once lost one, including one that has been mounted since 2005... IMO, the 3M is worth the extra couple bucks, if you want whatever you're mounting to stay mounted.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The air bag isn’t in this part. It’s in the upper dash. This mod is safe.

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts