Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the all the members of the forum, I have made a few small updates and modifications to my 2017 Spider. First off I picked up a Stubby Antenna to replace the default one. Works great and looks much better,

Second I bought a Nav card on Ebay for $38. Inserted it and it works great even though no Shark Fin antenna on the car. I also had an XM receiver added that goes through my Aux. Not the best as I can not control it through the audio unit but it doesn't look too bad. I attached it to a 3rd part visor I got for the audio unit so it was better shaded.

Happy to share links if you want.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you're looking for this thread: CarPlay / Android Auto Upgrade HowTo

I recommend reading as many resources as you can find very carefully. There are a handful of threads about this with a ton of different download links and tidbits of knowledge.
That is awesome but I am not savvy enough to do this myself. How do I find someone locally who could do this?

·
Registered
663 Posts
@slr1966 can you share info on that shade you got for the 7" screen?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I have that screen shade, too. I like it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Cool stuff!
Where you get that phone holder that looks to be attached to air vent? And how you like it?

Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
That is awesome but I am not savvy enough to do this myself. How do I find someone locally who could do this?
You would be surprised. If you have any mechanic buddies, I'm sure they'd be happy to do it. It took my mechanic buddy an hour to do the hardware install and about 40 minutes for me to flash it (mostly sitting and waiting).

A Mazda dealer might be willing to do it for hourly labor - it's identical to the Miata process (just take care of the software on your own if you care about rebranding it as Fiat)

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Thanks to the all the members of the forum, I have made a few small updates and modifications to my 2017 Spider. First off I picked up a Stubby Antenna to replace the default one. Works great and looks much better,

Second I bought a Nav card on Ebay for $38. Inserted it and it works great even though no Shark Fin antenna on the car. I also had an XM receiver added that goes through my Aux. Not the best as I can not control it through the audio unit but it doesn't look too bad. I attached it to a 3rd part visor I got for the audio unit so it was better shaded.

Happy to share links if you want.

Thanks!
As an FYI, the "shark fin" antenna is for the SiriusXM receiver if you purchase a trim level that includes it. Your nav antenna is mounted elsewhere, I think under the dash? I'd have to dig out the service manual to confirm...

Good to hear you got your nav working. Excellent progress!

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
As an FYI, the "shark fin" antenna is for the SiriusXM receiver if you purchase a trim level that includes it. Your nav antenna is mounted elsewhere, I think under the dash? I'd have to dig out the service manual to confirm...

Good to hear you got your nav working. Excellent progress!
Yep, Sat Nav has nothing to do with the shark fin. The GPS location has its own inbuilt antenna. The Sat Nav "live data" is received through the standard car aerial.... that's why I didn't go "stubby" !

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Where are you based?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You would be surprised. If you have any mechanic buddies, I'm sure they'd be happy to do it. It took my mechanic buddy an hour to do the hardware install and about 40 minutes for me to flash it (mostly sitting and waiting).

A Mazda dealer might be willing to do it for hourly labor - it's identical to the Miata process (just take care of the software on your own if you care about rebranding it as Fiat)
Be careful of asking a Mazda dealer to do it - they'd likely use the latest Mazda firmware and that will prevent you being able to apply the rebranding patches and the fix to restore the OEM nav.

Reactions: sharkcohen
1 - 14 of 14 Posts