Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a line on a new Abarth about 3.5 hours from home. The problem is that the weather is a tad sketchy and there very well could be snow involved between locations. How much is too much for the Spider to handle? It would be 95% freeway driving, then 5% between the freeway and destinations on each end. I'd guess the accumulation would be in the 1 inch range

Thoughts?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shouldn't be an issue...
unless you have never driven in snow, then all bets are off.

:)
Ha. I've lived in N Indiana for 56 years. I know snow. But, I don't know snow in a Rear wheel drive Spider. :| Hate to underestimate to potential difficulty of a vehicle like this in snow.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Do your road departments use salt or other snow/ice melting chemicals? If not, I wouldn't worry to much, just drive extra smart and safe and no hotdogging. A bit of weight in the trunk will help those 3-season tires bite the road, but be careful driving on those tires, they don't like snow and the rubber isn't meant for cold temps. A thorough washing afterward would be a good idea, too. Look at the wheel wells, the linings look to have great snow capturing potential. And clean out the entire underbody and in through the grills up front.

Are there any indoor storage options near the dealer to get through your winter? How about enclosed truck delivery to your house?

Early season minor snowfalls cause THE biggest headaches here in Minnesota. People forget how to drive in it, they don't plan ahead, there is little, if any, melt chemical on the road...

Good luck and be careful.
Steve.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I've driven the OEM 3 seasons on snow. I don't recommend it...

I'd see if you could arrange delivery on a truck.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update. Working with the dealer now to close this out, and they'll ship it to my door and split the shipping cost. ($175 for my side.) Few days tops.

Crossing fingers that it goes through, but feels odd to buy a car without ever seeing it.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
ANY snow is too much for the OEM tires.

$175 to ship it is nothing. In fact, it seems a bit too low, even after splitting. Maybe that's the going rate, I don't know.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ANY snow is too much for the OEM tires.

$175 to ship it is nothing. In fact, it seems a bit too low, even after splitting. Maybe that's the going rate, I don't know.
Yeah, though when I searched around I was seeing ~300-$400 for non-enclosed shipping. It's only about 200 miles. By the way, NEVER fill out one of those Send Me An Estimate forms on a shipping site. I had to have received 20 phone calls and texts yesterday.

·
Registered
430 Posts
No need to overthink this, just do it! Get your car and enjoy the ride home, you'll be smiling every mile. Not to worry.

Paul

·
Registered
143 Posts
That is a seriously low shipping cost. It won't be in an enclosed trailer, but that's probably OK for the short distance.

I changed to all weather tires on my ABarth and am driving it year round. With the right tires, it is fine on slick roads and in the cold.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
That is a seriously low shipping cost. It won't be in an enclosed trailer, but that's probably OK for the short distance.

I changed to all weather tires on my ABarth and am driving it year round. With the right tires, it is fine on slick roads and in the cold.
I agree - I'm on Blizzak's at the moment and they're doing fine. Only limiting factor is ground clearance - after a really big dump, the side streets here get pretty rutted. Not going to attempt that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My little red classica is nice at safe parked in the garage - right beside my racey red snowblower - lol which I took out for spin today to get rid of the 5 or so inches of lake effect snow that fell over night! - I've driven lots on all season tires in the winter ( not ideal but doable) rear wheel, front wheel drive - doesn't matter - drive smart , drive safe - and watch out for idiots with 4 wheel drive who think they are safe but don't have 4 wheel stop

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
My little red classica is nice at safe parked in the garage - right beside my racey red snowblower - lol which I took out for spin today to get rid of the 5 or so inches of lake effect snow that fell over night! - I've driven lots on all season tires in the winter ( not ideal but doable) rear wheel, front wheel drive - doesn't matter - drive smart , drive safe - and watch out for idiots with 4 wheel drive who think they are safe but don't have 4 wheel stop
Pictures pictures, snowblower of course, lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a situation similar to yours. but I have concluded that ultra-performance all weather tires will add at least 1 month and more to driving my spider. I'm looking at either Michelin or Continental ultra performance all weather tires.
Salt on the road is my absolute stopping point, but that comes later than snow & cold weather which my summer tires don't like and when I now stop driving.

New tires will cost over $500,00 but I can handle it. Anyone want to buy Abarth OE tires with 1200 miles? OE wheels also available.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If I still lived in NE Pennsylvania, I probably would not have bought the Abarth, or any rear-wheel drive car. BUT, it’s perfect for Tucson, Arizona.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I still lived in NE Pennsylvania, I probably would not have bought the Abarth, or any rear-wheel drive car. BUT, it’s perfect for Tucson, Arizona.
You mean you wouldn't buy it at all, or you wouldn't buy it as a primary vehicle? I'm in NE Indiana and I'm buying it as a secondary vehicle, for fin Spring thru Fall. But I wouldn't drive in in Winter weather, even with different tires.

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
So what did you end up doing?

On the topic of winter driving, the 124 Spider got parked at the first sign of snow. They laid that liquid on the ground they usually do before a snowfall. Beet juice, was it? I forget, they keep changing the formula. I'm ashamed to admit I've had a hard time cleaning the garage since, but the Abarth is going away till March this weekend.

I have a friend who bought a Miata Club in Chicago, and he's not been faring well with the OEM tires, even with the LSD. He's getting some snow tires on soon.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So what did you end up doing?
If that is directed at me (the OP) I'm in the final exchange of paperwork now and the dealer is trucking the car to my house, so no driving required. He anticipates I'll have the vehicle early/mid next week.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Registered
191 Posts
You mean you wouldn't buy it at all, or you wouldn't buy it as a primary vehicle? I'm in NE Indiana and I'm buying it as a secondary vehicle, for fin Spring thru Fall. But I wouldn't drive in in Winter weather, even with different tires.
It is my only automobile. I had a Miata and Solstice when I lived in PA but they were not my everyday vehicle and I had a heated garage where I kept them in the winter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts