Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I hope everyone is safe and healthy and that we all get through this unscathed. One thing we can all do is drive our cars to pass the time, anybody have a good recent drive they wanna share? Good way to pass the time with our car stories.
i only got out once this week, did a lap of the city, down to the water front to check out the Detroit skyline and out to the country for some fast driving, not much, but it beats sitting on my couch lol

·
Registered
646 Posts
No we cant. In the uk we have specific allowances for leaving the house. I realise of course you could lie, but the idea is that going for a drive increases risk of having an accident and thus stretching and already stretched NHS.

Now, I see people cycling as part of their allowed exercise, and I'd argue that has more chance of injury, but the message is keep people off the roads and indoors.

Our allowed reasons for going out are absolute essentials, work if we have no other choice and in support of vulnerable people.

I'd love to do some laps of the lake district but not allowed!

Interesting to head different countries responses to this!

Your drive sounds awesome!

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
No we cant. In the uk we have specific allowances for leaving the house. I realise of course you could lie, but the idea is that going for a drive increases risk of having an accident and thus stretching and already stretched NHS.

Now, I see people cycling as part of their allowed exercise, and I'd argue that has more chance of injury, but the message is keep people off the roads and indoors.

Our allowed reasons for going out are absolute essentials, work if we have no other choice and in support of vulnerable people.

I'd love to do some laps of the lake district but not allowed!

Interesting to head different countries responses to this!

Your drive sounds awesome!
Yep, the Police have been out in force all over the country this weekend following the crowds sunbathing or crowding parks last week as if it was a holiday !! They are stopping,warning and handing out fines, you can't even take your car to a local beauty spot to walk the dogs, it must be walking or bicycle as Boddle says. And quite right too as a complete lock down, apart from Emergency and essential stuff is justified. The good news is though...for essential shopping you can use the Spider but shopping for your family...I don't think so. Cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 124 is booked in to the local garage tomorrow to have the tyres swapped to the new historical alloy wheels I've bought, but although its less than a mile away I'm currently mulling over the rights and wrongs of going ahead with this whilst we are under lockdown. Either way whilst I can't work I'm going to use the time to clean and re proof the roof with Autoglym's soft top cleaner and treat the leather seats with AG's Leather care cream

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yep. I have and am using the time in my garage to do the following :

• all wheels off, drop the arches, clean, repaint calipers
  • engine detail
  • change multiair oil filter
  • full DA polish
  • treat the roof
  • maybe some other mods I have thought of yet!

Although I may be back in office next week so itll be used anyway

·
Registered
646 Posts
My 124 is booked in to the local garage tomorrow to have the tyres swapped to the new historical alloy wheels I've bought, but although its less than a mile away I'm currently mulling over the rights and wrongs of going ahead with this whilst we are under lockdown. Either way whilst I can't work I'm going to use the time to clean and re proof the roof with Autoglym's soft top cleaner and treat the leather seats with AG's Leather care cream
Harsh as it, unless essential, you are potentially coming into contact with more people than you really need to!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Tennessee is not under shelter in place, at this time, but we are taking various social distancing precautions. I'm out into the twisties any time it's dry. Just got back from a pre-dawn rip over the Foothills Parkway through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Over the state border, in North Carolina, a couple of the roads have been closed to non-resident traffic, and the National and State park roads can be closed at any time for any reason, but I'm not sure how that works with public roads, as that would seem to contravene Article IV, Section 2, Clause I of the US Constitution, known as the Privileges and Immunities Clause, which guarantees an American's right to freedom of movement between the States, except in cases of Martial Law, which has not been declared, and can only be declared in cases of Rebellion, or Invasion, but the way our system works, the government can make policy, and then that policy can be challenged in court by any citizen, so we shall see if anyone wants to bother.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think you should cancel your garage appointment and sell me your new historic wheels (at a reduced price of course ????). Let me know when I can collect ????
Lol. What's the expression Arthur "god loves a trier" Ironically the garage have just called and asked if I can leave it until next week as one of the lads is self isolating - poetic justice I guess.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
... Article IV, Section 2, Clause I of the US Constitution, known as the Privileges and Immunities Clause, which guarantees an American's right to freedom of movement between the States, ...
We also have the First Amendment, which explicitly states that we have the right to assemble.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked that the Brits have devolved to accept a Police State.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Although Washington State is labeled an “epicenter” in the US, we have a very outdoorsy culture. Mountain biking and hiking are the favorite pastime on weekends here, and we have the space to do it safely with social distancing.

While the governor has shut down all non-essential business activities and ordered people to stay home unless going out for essential shopping or exercising, I haven’t seen pleasure driving discouraged, as long as it’s done in isolation.

I took the Spider on a local coastal drive right when this whole thing started three weekends ago; the weekend after I took a drive on the rural roads around here towards Mount Baker; and yesterday I went around the lake near me.

I take the opportunity to recharge the car batteries as much as my own...

Chuckanut Drive coastal road

Mount Baker in the distance

Lake Whatcom

·
Registered
646 Posts
We also have the First Amendment, which explicitly states that we have the right to assemble.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked that the Brits have devolved to accept a Police State.
We are trying to see the bigger picture..its not about gung ho point proving . It's about stopping the spread and protecting our health service from becoming overwhelmed.

Incredibly, its not that difficult and very early indications show it's working. Like it did in China and now early signs in Spain.

Now isnt the time to be quoting our rights in my view...there is a bigger picture out there surely.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
We are trying to see the bigger picture..its not about gung ho point proving . It's about stopping the spread and protecting our health service from becoming overwhelmed.

Incredibly, its not that difficult and very early indications show it's working. Like it did in China and now early signs in Spain.

Now isnt the time to be quoting our rights in my view...there is a bigger picture out there surely.
100% behind that one Brother.....As are the Majority of UK residents, no-one wants to risk passing it on.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
In Colorado, whilst not strictly banned, the Governor has been very forthright in discouraging anything more than local travel for exercise purposes and purely leisure drives are a no-no.

At the weekend I did a boost leak test for no real reason, and now wished I hadn't (ignorance being bliss) and also put my summer wheels / tires back on (helloo grip old friend).

When I inevitably dropped a bolt during boost leak test I took the opportunity to remove the floor pans and have a good look around underneath for the first time in a while - all looked good.

Given I can't go anywhere, I'm going to start stripping it down to replace a leaky spark plug seal that's been outstanding for ages.

My dad in Scotland was hospitalized with suspected COVID over the weekend. Thankfully, his symptoms are relatively mild and he was subsequently released again, but let me be clear - relatively mild means he can breath without assistance. Under normal circumstances there is no way he'd have been discharged in the condition he's in - he can barely walk on his own. Take this seriously folks.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Glad to hear your dad is OK, but yes, this cannot be taken lightly.

Out of interest - what makes you think you had a leaky plug seal? Did you find oil around the plug? I found a 1mm layer around plug 1 but I THINK this was from a slight spill last time I topped up. However, I have been wondering whether the seals could possibly be going at only 28k miles...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Out of interest - what makes you think you had a leaky plug seal?
Oil on the plug threads. It's relatively common on these engines apparently.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

Incredibly, it seems the police are required to do this incredibly easy thing...

Now excuse me while I decide where I want to go for a drive with the top down (or maybe not, we'll see what I feel like) at least the gun and beer stores are open - and Walmart: can't live without walmart (still no toilet paper, though!). There's plenty of pretty clear roads. Kinda sucks if you have allergies: the pollen is starting to deposit itself on everything.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Oil on the plug threads. It's relatively common on these engines apparently.
Ah ok. Did you just pull the plugs to have a look?

I'd love to check but pretty sure need new set of plugs as cant reuse the crush washer? Shipping the gapped ngks from EC is expensive !

·
Registered
646 Posts
Incredibly, it seems the police are required to do this incredibly easy thing...

Now excuse me while I decide where I want to go for a drive with the top down (or maybe not, we'll see what I feel like) at least the gun and beer stores are open - and Walmart: can't live without walmart (still no toilet paper, though!). There's plenty of pretty clear roads. Kinda sucks if you have allergies: the pollen is starting to deposit itself on everything.
I wish you all the best! And hey, if isolation doesn't beat it, bring out the 50 cal!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yesterday I found a dozen rolls of toilet paper when I went to my local supermarket to pickup my antihistamines.

I was so excited I almost took a picture of it to upload on Instagram!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts