Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems like every time I wash my car I start noticing more and more paint defects. I have chips in the hood from rocks and I keep getting light white scratches. Does anyone else have this issue? Im thinking of wrapping it someday. I have the grey/brown 2017 Lusso. Makes me sad honestly. If you've had this problem how did you remedy it?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,962 Posts
The paint on the Spiders is notoriously soft. About the same on the Alfas too. I wrapped mine but more because it wasn’t much more than the heritage stripe from Fiat.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Find a reputable PPF installer near by. Not cheap but he heck of lot cheaper than new paint. Had my front bumper and hood done. Seen too may chips on friends miatas. Mazda paint process I'd not great.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Sadly the clear coat is very soft. It scratches easily but also polishes up easily. But the total paint job is very thin and I think the only real negative with this car. I’ve decided it’s a sports car meant to be driven (and in my case raced) and not a show car. I can’t fret over every little scratch and chip. If I have the car in 10 years I’ll have a real paint job put on it.

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
469 Posts
Absolutely soft paint. I had a banking shuttle slip and just touch the driver door resulting in a scuff that wouldn't have occurred had it been my BMW motorrad, my Suzuki Kizashi or my wife's Tacoma. It'll buff out. Real step backwards from my 1970's FIATs.

·
Banned
2,881 Posts
If you care a lot about this just wrap it then PPF it on top.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So it seems like every time I wash my car I start noticing more and more paint defects. I have chips in the hood from rocks and I keep getting light white scratches.
I agree............have pearl white paint, and it chips easily.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Red paint here - every door ding results in a chunk of paint coming off. And I've had ~6 door dings since purchasing it last September.

Very annoying. I don't want to wrap the whole car but at this rate there won't be any paint left on it by the time it's paid off.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
It is my only complaint about the car. (Well it should have come with a boost gauge also). Extremely poor paint job and clear coat. Perhaps it is their strategy to keep the weight down but it is not a durable finish at all.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Probably the worst I have seen especially the red. Chips, light scratches, crazy damage from bird poo even within seconds....
I have given up now. I protect as much as I can, keep it clean etc...but I cant keep worrying about it.

I drive mine alot, 23k miles in 2.5 years and it's a daily in all weathers in the UK.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I tried to find it, but can't - did someone say that there was a factory touch-up pen available now? Lola's Rosso. (I'd also accept a link to any other source - there are just a few REALLY tiny pits in the bumper I want to fix before they start to spread...)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I got a pot from internet but it had an alternate name. Perfect match. I'll try ans find it.

Its basically the other name for this red.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts