Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My body shop had to remove my top to complete the paint job job on my car. When I got the car back the top was not taught in the back and I figured out the bow/bar just above the window moves when the top is up. I discovered that the straps that stop this bar from going forward are not connected, see photos attached.
Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

I'd rather fix this myself as it has been 3 months and 4 trips back to the shop already. I'm having trouble finding photos of where these straps attach and whether I can do this myself. I've searched Miata forums but haven't found anything for the ND. Does anyone know where these straps attach, and if I can get to them without removing the top? I already have the rear interior panels completely removed.

Hood Car Motor vehicle Steering wheel Automotive design

Here's a picture of a Miata with the type of strap I'm referring to circled in yellow for reference.

Vehicle Hood Helmet Automotive tire Motor vehicle

· Registered
2019 Abarth 124 Spider: Hypnotique Red, Rd/Bk Abarth Sport Seats, 6MT, Brembo,Visibility,Navi & Bose
71 Posts
Hacks……go back and show them . What’s the name of the facility that did this awful job?

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were very well informed of the problem before I ever left with the vehicle. They were quite apologetic and immediately made an appointment with the dealer, to be covered at their cost, to make sure it was addressed.

Aside from my frustration with yet another repair unrelated to the actual damage, they didn't have an opening until Feb 6 and it's my daily driver. I was concerned about the top being damaged whether up or down so decided to investigate. Yes, I could push for a rental, but what I want is to be able to drive my car!

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update, after further investigation I found slots in the inner liner where the straps clearly exit and line up with a drip rail bolt. After some contortions I got them reconnected and the top looks and functions like expected.

My body shop had to remove my top to complete the paint job job on my car. When I got the car back the top was not taught in the back and I figured out the bow/bar just above the window moves when the top is up. I discovered that the straps that stop this bar from going forward are not connected, see photos attached.
View attachment 96873
I'd rather fix this myself as it has been 3 months and 4 trips back to the shop already. I'm having trouble finding photos of where these straps attach and whether I can do this myself. I've searched Miata forums but haven't found anything for the ND. Does anyone know where these straps attach, and if I can get to them without removing the top? I already have the rear interior panels completely removed.

View attachment 96872

Here's a picture of a Miata with the type of strap I'm referring to circled in yellow for reference.

View attachment 96875

1 - 6 of 6 Posts