Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Software debacle,

I am the second owner. 1st owner sold it to a Mazda dealership. When Mazda takes in used cars, they complete a 150 point Pre-Sales check list that included updating any soft/firmware. They took this car from the 59.xxx.xx to 74.00.230. Without knowing this was not correct. The dealership is not dogging this bullet, I just want to know how they go about reverting it back to the original Version. My Nav doesn’t work and I just want the soft/firmware done correctly. Can it be converted (reverted) back to 59.xxx.xx? If so how? If not now what?

Side note: the car does NOT have a USB Hub that will play Android or Apple, so what good is this upgrade :cool:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I can't assist, but this same issue is being discussed at length here -

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That first post was how we got in the debacle. With everyone's help we were able to pinpoint when and how the software was altered... This post is asking how to resolve it.

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
Did the dealer disclose this when you purchased the car (that the navigation could not function)? The fact that it boots up with a Mazda logo is a pain, but not the biggest issue you're facing. (I can just imagine someone buying a used Ford from a Chevy dealer, and having their "new to them" F150 boot up with the GMC logo.)

If they didn't disclose they killed your navigation when you purchased the car, it's their issue to resolve, or you can give them back the car and buy another one. Don't let them make this your challenge to resolve. They made the mistake of updating firmware on a non-Mazda car, and obviously without checking to confirm if that was something they should have done or not. As a result, they beyatched your navigation system. This is all on them.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Why would a Mazda dealer do a software update on a Fiat?

The fact that Spiders are built on a Mazda line is irrelevant. Dealers pay a lot of money to own a franchise.

You don't see Ford dealers doing software updates on used Chevrolets or Jeeps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Idk that it can be rolled back but you might be able to talk them into installing the new hub for you? It's not terribly expensive and the install only takes an hour or so. You can get the factory nav to work with the mazda software however it's a good bit more work, and involves using a laptop. I've done it myself but it's not a beginner friendly procedure.

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
IMHO, I don't think the OP should attempt to fix this problem himself. Right now he has (and pardon my language) a bastardized and non-functional system. The dealership needs to own this problem that they created... the cost of any replacement hardware required, as well as the manhours to perform the installation, modifications, and post repair integrity testing. I also believe (and obviously not my decision to make), that the OP needs to be prepared to walk away from the purchase if the dealership refuses to fix the problem. But time is of the essence as I believe there's a finite period of time in which the purchaser can back out of the purchase.

In this day and age, many, many vehicle manufacturers build vehicles for other companies... and for any dealership to make changes to another brand's configuration is complete lunacy. That would be like a Hyundai dealership loading the infotainment system firmware on a Chevy Trailblazer.

Reactions: Kentsmudger

·
Registered
628 Posts
Totally on the dealer.
The service department did not do their due diligence, and they screwed up the car.
Their fault, and not up to you to find the answer.
Just tell them no, until it is fixed, and returned to the latest Fiat firmware. Period.

·
Registered
298 Posts
That first post was how we got in the debacle. With everyone's help we were able to pinpoint when and how the software was altered... This post is asking how to resolve it.
Did not realise you were the OP from other thread, sorry!

To this one, the answer has to be to insist the dealer finds a solution to the problem they created. If if they try any fix based on 'what the customer read on the internet', they will totally blame you if they fail.

Tell the dealer to speak to Fiat and get the correct firmware / config re-installed on your car, or you reject it.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The part that puzzles me is, Mazda isn’t going to refund a dealer for screwing around on a Fiat. So why even do the “update” in the first place? Something doesn’t add up.

Perhaps the navigation wasn’t working to start with, and the dealer tried to fixed it by the easiest possible means: doing a software update. And it didn’t work. Now they have a Fiat with a Mazda software...

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
The part that puzzles me is, Mazda isn’t going to refund a dealer for screwing around on a Fiat. So why even do the “update” in the first place? Something doesn’t add up.
Perhaps the navigation wasn’t working to start with, and the dealer tried to fixed it by the easiest possible means: doing a software update. And it didn’t work. Now they have a Fiat with a Mazda software...
I can see them taking in a used Mazda and bringing the firmware up to date before reselling. Here, most dealerships will do a basic check and used vehicle certification before putting a vehicle on the lot, especially if the vehicle is fairly new and still under warranty. So that in itself I see as not being unusual.

But the screw up (IMHO) happened when the technician assigned to that task saw an interior that looked identical to a Miata and took it upon themselves to just throw a firmware update at it without digging a little deeper into what the proper firmware on a Fiat 124 Spider should be to begin with. It's a costly mistake, and hopefully they learn from it. The reality is, "how many Spiders are they likely going to get in for resale anyway"? The answer being, this might be the only one they ever see. The second part I'm curious about, is what the original owner traded it in for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CDPond...She traded for a BMW, not sure which one. But she did confirm (and I believe her) that she did not do any mods to this car...Its for sure the dealership she sold it to...Anderson BMW/Mazda. Maybe if she sold it to any other dealership this would not have happened. But the service tech saw a Miata, when it really was a Spider...what mess!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
CDPond...She traded for a BMW, not sure which one. But she did confirm (and I believe her) that she did not do any mods to this car...Its for sure the dealership she sold it to...Anderson BMW/Mazda. Maybe if she sold it to any other dealership this would not have happened. But the service tech saw a Miata, when it really was a Spider...what mess!
So the previous owner can attest that the navigation was working?

In that case, the more puzzling then why a Mazda dealer would screw around to update the software on a non-Mazda vehicle.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The dealer might honestly have thought the software (firmware) was identical, nevertheless, it's their problem to fix...

Reactions: Arthur
1 - 14 of 14 Posts