Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the way home after the first oil change when I noticed it. I immediately had some dark thoughts about the IQ of whoever was responsible. What in the **** can you screw up while changing oil? (EXCLUDING JERKY LUBE!)
Nothing!
The CEL was for a software update that the computer determined my car needed. But it didn't light while the car was being given the 29 point check done on every car that goes through their shop. So I wasted two hours of my morning discovering this.
I've been procrastinating about buying the ELM237 reader and could have avoided this. I'll be getting one ASAP.
So be aware that this is coming and don't leave the dealer without getting it.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do you have any idea what the software update is? is there a software update number to ask for? I just had my car in last weekend, there was no update then.

·
Super Moderator
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My receipt notes,
181906MG Module, Powertrain Control (PCM)
Reprogram
20261 WCC

Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had the same thing happen today. Light went on, took it in. They flashed the software and I was out in about 15 minutes. I wondered how the car knew it was time to update software. Almost Tesla like.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do you have Ameridans tweeks and was there any issues with that after the update?

·
Registered
561 Posts
No issues with the tweaks. I'd think the infotainment tweaks would only be affected specifically by updates to that system and updating the maps and gracenote database have had no problems. The software update yesterday was to the PCM.

Reactions: Dennis

·
Registered
561 Posts
Same thing any other flash update to the car's computer will do. Manufacturers update issues within the car's systems from time to time, same as you might do after market with a flash tuning (like EC). I was grateful I hadn't ordered a tune system yet because I would have needed to return the car to stock tune before the dealer messed with it. The tech couldn't specify what changes were made in the software.

·
Super Moderator
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't updated my infotainment system yet.
I'm not doing Android Auto until the bugs get worked out and haven't really felt the need to to the Ameridan tweak either.
We'll see.
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same thing any other flash update to the car's computer will do. Manufacturers update issues within the car's systems from time to time, same as you might do after market with a flash tuning (like EC). I was grateful I hadn't ordered a tune system yet because I would have needed to return the car to stock tune before the dealer messed with it. The tech couldn't specify what changes were made in the software.
Sorry. My question was poorly phrased. Does anyone know if and, if so, how the Powertrain Control Module reprogramming affects performance?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was able to verify today that the flash was intended to solve the thermostat issue...that was the code that came up last week. However, I've already had the thermostat replaced. (Last September). I'd had no issues with it since the replacement until last week. But today the CEL came on yet again! So, I'll go back in weds and see what they say. My car may need it's 3rd thermostat.

Sorry. My question was poorly phrased. Does anyone know if and, if so, how the Powertrain Control Module reprogramming affects performance?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts