Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sold my S2000 today! Letting it go was bittersweet. It's been a fantastic car, I've taken great care of it for the last 13 years, and if I was Jay Leno (with lots of garage space), I'd still have it. But after driving both cars back to back for the past few weeks, the 124 is the clear winner for me. It is in every way that matters to me a better car - more comfortable to sit in, much less abusive ride quality, great torquey (is that a word?) motor that you don't need to wind to infinity to get anything out of it, much better top-down experience, modern infotainment system... I just love the Fiat! I'm sure the new owner of my S2000 will be thrilled with it as well.

Now it's time to get to work on the 124. First up, fix the car's only drawback that I can find: I can barely hear it... So the first major upgrade (I already have the GFB Diverter) is the full Goodwin Quad Exhaust. I can't wait...

I haven't been this excited about a car in years!

Ian

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
I felt the same way about my 2K Miata SE. It was ab absolute gem; never let me down as a daily driver and always put a smile on my face when I was in it. But, it was time for either a new car, or a drastic overhaul, like an LS6 transplant.
I opted for the Abarth and made the right call. The Miata went to a good home and will get a lot more TLC than I could have given it.
You're on the right track with those changes. I'm really considering the "muffler delete" exhause, but $600 is absurd for some resonators and tube stock. Maybe I'll do something with the bits you can get from Summit Racing and look for someone who can craft an exhaust system. Ain't rocket science!
best regards,
Pete

·
Registered
956 Posts
I felt the same way about my 2K Miata SE. It was ab absolute gem; never let me down as a daily driver and always put a smile on my face when I was in it. But, it was time for either a new car, or a drastic overhaul, like an LS6 transplant.
I opted for the Abarth and made the right call. The Miata went to a good home and will get a lot more TLC than I could have given it.
You're on the right track with those changes. I'm really considering the "muffler delete" exhause, but $600 is absurd for some resonators and tube stock. Maybe I'll do something with the bits you can get from Summit Racing and look for someone who can craft an exhaust system. Ain't rocket science!
best regards,
Pete
I kept it simple with my exhaust and I love the results. I think any decent muffler shop can give you a muffler delete that will sound great, and save you hundreds. Like you said, "It ain't rocket science."

Now, if you want to go 2.5" from front to back, that's a different story.

Reactions: pikeman

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now, if you want to go 2.5" from front to back, that's a different story.
That's the ticket! Full 2.5". Crosspipe, resonated midpipe and quad exhaust. I'm sold on the sound and the performance gain. Hope I'm right!

·
Registered
233 Posts
So I sold my S2000 today! Letting it go was bittersweet. It's been a fantastic car, I've taken great care of it for the last 13 years, and if I was Jay Leno (with lots of garage space), I'd still have it. But after driving both cars back to back for the past few weeks, the 124 is the clear winner for me. It is in every way that matters to me a better car - more comfortable to sit in, much less abusive ride quality, great torquey (is that a word?) motor that you don't need to wind to infinity to get anything out of it, much better top-down experience, modern infotainment system... I just love the Fiat! I'm sure the new owner of my S2000 will be thrilled with it as well.

Now it's time to get to work on the 124. First up, fix the car's only drawback that I can find: I can barely hear it... So the first major upgrade (I already have the GFB Diverter) is the full Goodwin Quad Exhaust. I can't wait...

I haven't been this excited about a car in years!

Ian
Congrats! I'm loving my GWR dual exhaust. It makes my manual Lusso sound so much better and more fun to drive. I feel like I'm driving a mini-Lambo now. ;) :cool:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do not think the S2000 will be going anytime soon. Took it out the other day and all the reasons mentioned above just made me love it more. We are taking the Spider on a couple of road trips this year so we shall see. The S has been a great road trip car (all over North America) and we decided it would maintain it's Garage spot and the Spider will be outside.

In reference to the Fiat exhaust It has been changed to the three part system (500Madness) and is highly recommended. Great sound and faster as well .

·
Registered
726 Posts
The timeless styling of the S2000 has held up all these years. There is a red one which gets parked across the street, which I've often admired. I'll stick with my 124, but I wonder if the rumors are true that Honda is coming out with a new version. I doubt if I'd be fickle enough to buy a Honda redesign, as I'm fairly confident that the Fiat will look hot 10 years from now.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The timeless styling of the S2000 has held up all these years. There is a red one which gets parked across the street, which I've often admired. I'll stick with my 124, but I wonder if the rumors are true that Honda is coming out with a new version. I doubt if I'd be fickle enough to buy a Honda redesign, as I'm fairly confident that the Fiat will look hot 10 years from now.
I haven't been too thrilled with recent Honda style attempts. The 124 looks pretty good to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't been too thrilled with recent Honda style attempts. The 124 looks pretty good to me.
Me as well... It wouldn't surprise me if the new S2000 looked like a spaceship... With an electric / hybird motor and a CVT....

But now the original S2000? That's a good looking car. Still.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts